What's new
World Wide Stereo

Tired of all the app switching (1 Viewer)

Tony Sac14

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
I have a 2016 OLED65C6P. I am tired of switching between all the all the apps, apple tv, xbox etc searching for a particular movie. Also I can't even use Xfinity Stream app on my tv because it is "too old". Is there a third party dashboard type app/hardware that I can use as my home screen when I turn on my TV, that will give me access to all my apps and allow me to easily search for a specific movie? Maybe even work with Xfinity Stream?? This would be so much easier!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As Todd suggests, a dedicated streaming box will do that for you. If money is a concern, a Roku can be purchased for under $30 ($10 more for a 4K version). I ignore the apps on my "smart TV" and use either my Roku or Apple TV 4K. Dedicated boxes are a much better experience, and the apps are kept up to date better than the built-in apps on TVs and disc players. Plus, there are a lot more apps available on the dedicated boxes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't use it this way very often, but doesn't the Apple Movie App on the AppleTV give search results for all viewing options, with a direct link to each streaming system/app?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I bought the APPLE 4KTV but, as it has turned out, so far I prefer the apps on my LG OLED over the APPLE.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't use it this way very often, but doesn't the Apple Movie App on the AppleTV give search results for all viewing options, with a direct link to each streaming system/app?
I believe they do this for companies that participate in their integrated system. Netflix I don't think does.

Also, these search systems don't always take you best result, sometimes highlighting a rental option instead of taking you to a service you're subscribed to.

Tony Sac14

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
As Todd suggests, a dedicated streaming box will do that for you. If money is a concern, a Roku can be purchased for under $30 ($10 more for a 4K version). I ignore the apps on my "smart TV" and use either my Roku or Apple TV 4K. Dedicated boxes are a much better experience, and the apps are kept up to date better than the built-in apps on TVs and disc players. Plus, there are a lot more apps available on the dedicated boxes.

Thanks, I think Apple TV may work best, but (of course) Xfinity Stream doesn't have an app for Apple TV. Call me crazy, but a true win woudl be a hardware / app / full featured voice remote combo that gives you a dashboard of all apps, including cable that pulls in a full database of movies / tv listings so you can do a quick metasearch OF ALL your apps. Would be a great time saver....

PCRIDE

Agent
Real Name
Speaker
The Samsung smart TV’s have a “universal guide” and they also have the Xfinity App. The banner will show /advertise movies and you click on it, it will show all the streaming services that has the movie. Select one and it opens the App and plays the movie. First you sign into all the apps (Netflix, Prime, Hulu etc) works really nice and it searches other not widely known apps like PlutoTv, some other TV streaming apps that are free. Samsung also has its own streaming service built in.
I have to say the Samsung TV’s controls and navigation is super simple and gives you access to everthing you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks