What's new

Tombstone Question - any meaning behind the train number 5150? (1 Viewer)

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, this may be a very silly question. I am actually posting it for a friend of mine. I like the movie Tombstone, but don't own it yet (I have plans to buy the new DVD soon), but I don't remember the "train number" at all. My friend is a big fan of the movie and a big music fan and he wondered if the 5150 on the train had any significant meaning in the film. (?) Van Halen's album title 5150 was inspired by the police code for "escaped lunatic". He wondered if there was any tie in to this in the train number in the movie. Like I said, I'm asking this for him, and I figured if there was any basis for this, somebody here would know about it. Sorry if it seems like a silly question (I thought it was, but told my friend I would post the question anyway).

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Old Tucson Studios, where Tombstone was filmed, has many restored passenger train cars and locomotives on hand for filming. 5150 is the number on the first passenger car on the train shown when Wyatt and wife arrive Arizona. While possible, I doubt there is any significance to the number but I'm sure many Van Halen fans infer one.
Great movie though, the quintessential guys film of the '90s. :)

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
My friends and I (all Van Halen fans) like to think maybe the production designer or somebody else behind the scenes was a fan of VH and slipped it in. We've never heard anything confirmed though.

Johnny V

Agent
I have no idea if this is true or not, but I always thought that the album 5150 was named after a model of amp that Eddie used:confused:

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
The 5150 amp was specially designed for Eddie (and for sale to the public under Eddie's endorsement) after the Van Halen album of the same name. Eddie's private studio is also called 5150.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
not an amp - well the amp came after the code :)
[rant](n) 5150 is the section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code dealing with involuntary confinement of a mentally disordered person. (I.e. California law consists of 29 codes, of which the Welfare and Institutions Code is one, and 5150 is a section number in that code.) [/rant]
Also the name of an old Van Halen album. It is also a track on Da Luniz' album "Operation Stackola".
this is the why Van Halen picked that number...

Rick2a9

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Price
Okay, this may be a very silly question. I am actually posting it for a friend of mine. I like the movie Tombstone, but don't own it yet (I have plans to buy the new DVD soon), but I don't remember the "train number" at all. My friend is a big fan of the movie and a big music fan and he wondered if the 5150 on the train had any significant meaning in the film. (?) Van Halen's album title 5150 was inspired by the police code for "escaped lunatic". He wondered if there was any tie in to this in the train number in the movie. Like I said, I'm asking this for him, and I figured if there was any basis for this, somebody here would know about it. Sorry if it seems like a silly question (I thought it was, but told my friend I would post the question anyway).
I realize this thread is well past it’s prime, however I believe the producer/ writer or other production staffer was trying to convey that the train they were on was the “crazy train” . It was previously mentioned that 5150 is the California W&I code for someone who was unable to rationalize life and unable to care for their own safety or the safety of others; some call the condition being “crazy”. Was it a subliminal metaphor for the times in tombstone or possibly just a well placed act of humor?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks