What's new

Top Gun criterion? (1 Viewer)

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
there is a whisper going arround that paramount stoped their 2 discer for a criterion with the rock and armageddon already there could it be true any1 know?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Has there EVER been a Paramount title handled by Criterion?? Can't think of any off the top of my head, even back to the LD days, though maybe there were some.

I'd be shocked if Criterion did Top Gun, though - dunno where you heard that "whisper", but it makes no sense...

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
cant say where but why no sense think of the involvement with the navy and the number of recruits they got from it also really kick started the summer event picture more than jaws did

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
How dare you. No, how DARE you! I would be very disappointed if Criterion handled this movie, and then I would go and buy it anyway.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
In the DVD era, the following companies have never licensed any of their titles to Criterion:

Warner Bros.
MGM
Paramount
Columbia/TriStar

I find it hard to believe that Paramount would reverse course on this policy to license out one of their biggest money-making properties (Top Gun), or that Criterion would have asked for the rights to begin with.

Our chain is being yanked here.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Oh I don't know - if they do the occasional piece of candyfloss that brings in the bucks, it does mean that far more deserving but not very commercial stuff stands a chance of appearing.

There's no obligation to buy everything Criterion produces, you do know that don't you?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Spot on. Why on earth would Paramount share the profits to be made on a Top Gun SE DVD, which will certainly be a big seller, with another company? And if you suggest that Paramount might do so on an exceptional deal where they basically kept most of the profit, then the converse would hold: why would Criterion work on a title where they would not be allowed to make a decent pile of money?

Unless I suppose the deal was something like Criterion's split gets capped at a level which exceeds their more "artistic" titles, yet is still relatively painless to Paramount in view of the potential big sales.

But count me as a sceptic, this will be done in-house by Paramount, and not by Criterion. Of course, I'll buy this regardless of which way they go.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor

Your reasoning is wrong on virtually every point.

First, the involvement of the Navy has no bearing on the matterat all. As has been written above, "Top Gun" is owned by Paramount and Paramount has never leased one of its titles to Criterion, at least in the DVD era.

Second, by the time "Top Gun" came along in 1986, the summer blockbuster was already very well established. "Jaws," the "Star Wars" trilogy and the "Indiana Jones" films come to mind, among countless others.

Credit where credit is due, you know.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
This "whisper" is absolutely false.

I do seem to remember someone coming up with a very amusing Criterion cover for the Chuck Norris film "Top Dog," however.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Charlie de Lauzirika,
Is it possible that you know this "whisper" concerning Criterion is false because you are currently working on a Top Gun SE for Paramount? As one of the best DVD producers in the business, I surely hope this is true. If it is true, is there anything you can share about this project without getting into trouble?:)

"I feel the need...the need...for speed"

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
If Criterion would put out a 2 Disc Armageddon set, they will do just about any movie. Armageddon is a horribly made movie, Michael Bay should just make music videos.

Now you will find the Criterion Armageddon disc in my collection, purchased purely for the Ben Affleck commentary, say what you want about that guy, he is very enjoyable on DVD commentaries (Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Good Will Hunting, he's funny and entertaining in all of them, I wish that would translate to his acting)

So, if Criterion would put out Armageddon, Rock, Robocop* and Chasing Amy*, I'd say they are open to all types of films which is what makes them the best.

* I love these two films, but they aren't what some people expect from Criterion.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

I'd say the days of Criterion getting such big films as the first three are long gone. Those are all from the earlier days of DVD, when some studios considered it a niche market, especially for over-the-top special editions. Now that DVD is so huge, those studios are all keeping their material instead of licensing it out to smaller companies such as Criterion. That includes an SE of Top Gun, one of the biggest films in Paramount's library.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

I'd much rather see that than Top Gun CC. If only it were true...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not so wrong. While MGM now owns the rights to Silence of the Lambs, it was originally released by Orion, which is now defunct. The first LD and DVD releases were by Image.

M.

Haden

Supporting Actor
As a precedent for a Top Gun Criterion release, Robocop and The Rock don't even count because they were simply ports of the original laserdiscs, not newly produced DVDs. It's too bad Criterion can't port some of its other great laserdiscs of mainstream movies. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petr
Recent bookmarks