What's new

Trouble adjusting eyes to larger TV (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I got the 55" SXRD Sony Tv a week ago Monday, October 30. I have been having problems adjusting my eyes to this set. I am sitting 12 feet away from the set, which seems to be an adequate distance for this size, isn't it.
I have upgraded from a 31" CRT, which also may be a source of the problem.

Anyway, my questions are, Has anyone else experienced an adjustment period for a larger TV? How long did it last? Did you have to make any adjustments to help the problem?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
This article may help: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tip...esolution.html

Your set will be ideal for viewing 720p HDTV, but will look very soft for 480p DVD or 480i SDTV, for instance. Do you experience the same problems adjusting your eyes when watching HD channels or HD DVD?

Also, have you calibrated your TV? I'd suggest calibrating with AVIA or DVE, as this will provide you with an optimal picture.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

How do you mean?

Can you elaborate what you mean by this?

Are you feeling discomfort? Is it too bright? Etc?

David Ruiz

Second Unit

Marty, I know EXACTLY what you mean! For many years, I was using a 19" TV, which I then I upgraded to a 27" TV, which I also used for many, many years.

After moving, I bought a 65" Widescreen HDTV for my room because the 27" just looked ridiculously small in the new house. Anyway, as soon as I got it, I almost instantly regretted it. It was just too big! I had the most difficult time adjusting to the larger screen size. I wasn't used to it at all. I was so used to watching movies on my 21" screen for so many years that my eyes just couldn't adjust to the larger screen.

I talked to some Best Buy employees and they told me that most of the people who bought 65" TVs, returned them within a week to get the 55" TVs instead, because their eyes couldn't adjust to the bigger screen sizes either. I however, didn't want to be like all those people who went and exchanged their TVs for smaller ones, so what I did, was I sat as far back as I possibly could, just until my eyes could adjust.

The couch was 8 feet away from the 65" screen, so I placed a chair behind the couch, 15 feet away from the screen and this seemed to help a great deal. It still looked quite enormous, but it didn't hurt my eyes and it didn't give me headaches like when I tried to watch TV from the couch.

It actually took me 3 full months to adjust to the larger screen size and around that time, I started to sit on the couch and enjoy the picture from only 8 feet away.

After 3 years, I started to see the picture really tiny so I felt an upgrade was in order. As of right now, I am using the Sanyo Z4 projector with a 127" 16:9 screen sitting 15 feet away and I couldn't be happier. It isn't too big and it isn't too small. It's perfect.

Not all people have trouble adjusting their eyes to larger screen sizes. My mother and sister both comfortably could sit 8 feet away from the 65" screen as soon as I bought it. I couldn't do the same however, which is why I started at 15 feet away.

If you're anything like me, I'd say it'll take you about 3 months to adjust. Don't think about returning the set for a smaller one! You may want to go even bigger in the future!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
David has completely "nailed" my dilemma. Thanks for your detailing your experiences. I knew it would take a while to adjust, but was getting frustrated when almost a week had past. My eyestrain was not as pronounced, yesterday, so I hope I don't have to wait 3 months like you did. But it is nice to know that it will go away.

I was definitely regretting buying as large a set but knew it would be difficult returning because I purchased it from a smaller store that had to order the set. From what I had been reading, I knew I was within the guidelines for for watching HD, but just on the edge watching SD.

Thanks again, for your encouragement, David. I will hang in there while my eyes adjust.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The dealer did some tweeking of the picture by creating a custom mode from the picture mode screen. I know there are some DVDs for self-calibrating. Could you please give me your suggestion for the better ones?

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Here is a viewing distance calculator link I saved years ago. According to my calculations the best viewing distance for my 57" RPTV was around 7" more or less for the sweet spot.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Using an appropriate back light (bias lighting) behind the Screen is of enormous help against eye strain, especially when watching DVD movies in total darkness.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

I purchased one of this Bias Lighting years ago, but I remember reading many online articles on how to DIY with materials from your local Hardware store if you prefer.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
We just got a 60" Sony RPTV and sit at the bare minimum distance of six feet as the room is small. I wanted DVDs to have an epic feel, and do they!:laugh:
SD upconverted by the XBR Sony varies from horrible to quite fine depending on Comcast's bitrate and other variables. We do watch SD format TV in the old fashioned Squarish 4:3 manner to try and keep distortions to a minimum. I only stretch the cartoons. The rear projection TVs rarely have long-term issues with screen burn in, so we do not worry about the black bars on the sides. This give SD a 49" diagonal on the 60" sets. Your 55 will yield a slightly smaller SD format picture which will aid in making the visuals crisper. Stretching SD to me causes more issues than it is worth. Here we are buying some great TVs with specs to die for, little visual distortion, no real geometry problems, etc. Then we push the "distort" button to help fill up some unused screen and kill all that we were fighting for:eek: :laugh:
Such is the human condition. A collection of paradoxes!:)

Enjoy your new set! Your eyes will adjust...
I know I'm too close when I have to turn my head with the action. That has not happened with our 60" set at six feet

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

Thank you for your words of encouragement on the eye strain issue. 6 feet! I thought I was too close at 12 feet. I also have been watching the SD in 4:3 format, as well. Unfortuneately, with our cable company, Insight, it doesn't help too much. It does cut down the diagonal to around 43".

I did notice that the eyestrain was less last night. I was just getting impatient. I am glad I didn't get to the point of trying to take the TV back, although the thought did cross my mind. The irony of all ironies, it was my wife who talked me into the larger 55". How could I deny her wish for a larger TV.

DougR

Second Unit

Those Viewing Calculators are a Joke !!

Maybe it's a way to get us to build Really Smaller Homes ? :D

Sit where it's comfortable to your eyes and others !!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Enjoy it while you can- before you know it you'll get used to it and it'll look small after that.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Hi Steve, You have good eyes there!
You like the old GM's too?
Yup, that's our '64 Corvair 110HP, four speed fun mobile! I put on front disc brakes to bring it into the modern world a bit, and they are a great addition.
I've been driving Corvairs since 1982 and have had ,oh, a couple dozen. Our other one is our '67 convertible 140HP.
Lately though, I've been enamored by the New Chevy HHR which is now our daily driver. Time for the Corvairs to take a rest and just be summertime rompmobiles.
A couple of larger pics for those car lovers out there:
http://www.pbase.com/harpozep/image/49093624/original
http://www.pbase.com/harpozep/image/49093626
http://www.pbase.com/harpozep/image/60572658
http://www.pbase.com/harpozep/image/64425716
http://www.pbase.com/harpozep/image/62698586

A gallery of the '67:
http://www.pbase.com/harpozep/1967_corvair&page=all

Now back to our regularly themed posts................

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
After two weeks with my new 55" SXRD, my eyes have finally adjusted to the size and I am starting to really enjoy the set. Thanks for all your words of encouragement.

To Robert, aka Harpzep, I have fond memories of trips around cental Illinois in a friend's 64 Corvair when I was in high school in the mid-1960s.

Dan J

Agent
Exactly. We just sold our bigscreen and we're getting our new projector tomorrow. I'll enjoy the next week where it's "too big" and then settle for it's larger screen :)

Dan

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - Me too - I went with 55" and sit barely 6 feet away. The only reason I didn't go 62" is because the salesman talked me out of it, knowing that I'd be right on top of the set :D - That was fine, because 55" is big enough. It's funny, there are times when it feel too big, but it's no bigger than the feeling you get at a movie theater.

But trust me, you'll get used to it. I gave my parents my old 42" RPTV and when I go to their house, it looks SOOOOO freakin' small! I look at it and think "When did I ever think this was big???" :D

Yup, you'll definitely get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autismcoe
Recent bookmarks