What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Trying to Decide between PS VR and a Switch (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Compared to VR: Switch is portable and social. VR is isolated and solo. The choice depends on how you game.

I’d choose the switch for portable use and a little social gaming with my wife.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Compared to VR: Switch is portable and social. VR is isolated and solo. The choice depends on how you game.

I’d choose the switch for portable use and a little social gaming with my wife.

I believe the VR does have a few social games. For example I heard of one where the person wearing the headset is a bomb defuser and the person(s) not wearing the headset have relay instructions that they're getting on the regular TV screen. Stuff like that.

I got a PSVR for xmas and I have to say so far it's pretty wild. If you're interested in a new gaming experience, you're not going to be disappointed.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I believe the VR does have a few social games. For example I heard of one where the person wearing the headset is a bomb defuser and the person(s) not wearing the headset have relay instructions that they're getting on the regular TV screen. Stuff like that.

That game is Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. I've played the PC version (where the defuser has a laptop and everyone else sits where they can't see the screen), and it's a hoot.

They also have a version of the party game Werewolf for PS VR. I haven't tried it, but I assume that the idea is you're playing online with other PS VR users.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are a handful of social games on PS VR and they're generally quite good. But it's still designed mainly as a single-player device. You won't have 3 or 4 people playing the same game all in VR with one headset. The Switch is more social simply by design, though the value in that comes with having friends who enjoy the kinds of social games it offers and the environment to play it in (such as at a party or event, utilizing the portability of the console).

In the end, it really should come down to the kinds of games and experiences you're looking for. PSVR is a peripheral for the PS4 platform that offers relatively-exclusive games. The Switch is an entire new platform that also has a bunch of exclusive games.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The little joycons for multiplayer mode are super tiny. Not really a great controller in that mode (too small for adults, and the rotation confuses six year olds), but serviceable.

You'll want the pro controller. I play exclusively on that unless I am portable. I probably use mine docked 90% of the time, which is unusual I guess. When portable the Joycons work great tho!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You'll want the pro controller. I play exclusively on that unless I am portable. I probably use mine docked 90% of the time, which is unusual I guess. When portable the Joycons work great tho!
Is that the included plastic shell that accepts the two joycons to make a normal controller?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
What I would do if I were you is find a way to try VR and see if you're one of the seemingly many that get VR nausea. I have owned PSVR since it's launch and have never noticed even a moment of nausea. Assuming you don't, either choice is great. Love my Switch, love my PSVR. Both great options.

Hah, this thread is well over a year old, I'm sure they've made their choice by now.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
When I had a Switch, I found the joycons awkward and uncomfortable to use. The pro controller is the only way to go unless you hate your hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks