What's new
World Wide Stereo

Trying to keep my Marantz SR5004 from becoming an expensive paperweight (1 Viewer)

ryandobs

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Hi all! I have a Marantz SR5004 receiver hooked up to 2 McIntosh XD715 Loudspeakers (which sound amazing and I love so much I might marry). We use the system for watching TV and movies in our family room. It's pretty cool; you should come over sometime.

Annnywho - over many months I've noticed the right side is getting quieter - now it's quite significant. On the back of the receiver I swapped the channels, left for right, and the speakers switched too (Left becoming quieter) so I know the issue isn't the speakers themselves. I ran a similar test with the wires and confirmed they're fine. So it seems to me the issue must be with the receiver input for the right speaker.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this problem? I took the receiver to a local shop (a kind older gentleman who tinkers with vintage HAM radios and the like) but he told me that my Marantz is just recent enough of a model that he can't access the inside of it without special tools. He said it would have to be sent in to Marantz for a repair that would likely cost more than the receiver is worth.

SO. Do I have an expensive paperweight? Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Mourning Marantz

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I actually have an SR5004, which is beside the point. Actually, I forgot, I recently sold my 5004. The only thing I can think of is to make sure the level for the right channel hasn't been turned down in the speaker calibration. Going from memory, you need to switch to a video input that routes through the receiver, so you can see its on-screen menu. Hit "Menu" on the remote, then it's probably "Audio" and something like "Speaker Levels". I can double check. The levels for the L&R speaker should be the same.

I can't recall now if the 5004 has an on-screen display, or if it only uses the front panel display.

If that's not the problem, it's most likely something failing and it's probably not worth the cost to fix.

ryandobs

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks for this response! I had tried a factory reset - I should have mentioned that in the original post - which I think would account for a modification in the speaker calibration. But I'll double check it. Thanks for this suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks