What's new

Unable to enable ARC between Hisense & Yamaha (1 Viewer)

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Hisense TV (65U8G) and a Yamaha AV Receiver (RX-V675) and I'm unable to enable the ARC the function. In the TV's menu, the choice is grayed out.
I have the HDMI cable connected between the sole ARC port (HDMI 3) on the TV and the sole HDMI out port on the Receiver. I have the "HDMI Control"function enabled in the receivers menu.

At present, I have been using an optical cable between the former TV (no ARC) using AV4 which is the default. I understood the older ARC does not need any 'enhanced' cable to work. Is that correct? Yamaha's audio settings have always been confusing to me especially when it's a separate (non HDMI) feed.

Any ideas or questions if my explanation isn't clear enough??

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
I should add, this is for the TV's tuner and Internet applications (Netflix & Prime Video). It would be nice to get rid of the optical cable. I'm assuming the HDMI path would be an improvement over the optical, or is this ARC overrated and buggy??

Correct me if I'm wrong; they both are PCM and I believe both are 5.1.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ARC is overrated and buggy.

There may be zero advantage to using hdmi over optical. If both components have eARC then the possible advantage is the ability to pass Atmos audio, except it appears your receiver doesn't have that anyway.

Honestly, it's already hooked up and working, so does the optical cable actually make a big difference?

If the hdmi cable is old, that could be the problem. Any certified 18Gb/s cable could solve the problem.

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
Golly, a new (at the time) feature that is overrated & buggy???

No, the one extra cable isn't a problem. I was going to try another cable, but according to that other thread it's not worth it.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"..................
I didn't realize ARC is around 12 years old (2009?) and my old set may of had that feature that I wasn't aware of.

Anyone else's two cents? :confused:

Last edited:
Real Name
Mark Stenroos
I like ARC as it allows me to play audio thru my Roku soundbar when I am viewing discs played thru my X-Box.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ARC has benefits with a sound bar, which mostly go away when using a receiver, since components should be connected to the receiver, not the TV.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is.the HDMI port.on your.receiver marked as ARC capable? If not then the port may not.be compatible with ARC.

I mostly using it only because my receiver is not.capable of passing a 120Hz video signal from my PS5. I had to hook the PS5 directly to.the TV and pass audio to my receiver over the ARC connection. I would have rather had another HDMI port on the console to.pass audio.directly to the receiver.

ARC is also buggy. I could only get it to.work when I plugged my old Samsung K8500 player into the receiver.

Edit: I looked at the manual for your receiver on-line and the HDMI out is ARC compatible so that answered my question. Yamaha receivers seem to have a handshake issue with recognizing an ARC connection from the TV. It took me quite awhile to get it working between my Aventage 3080 and the LG OLED I own.

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Pringle
If similar to my issue, you MUST use HDMI1, which shows eARC compatible on back of your TV. And you MUST have a compatible HDMI cord. Then on Receiver, obviously, make sure your Input on the Receiver shows HDMI1. I had to go through several. It won’t work without both.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
If similar to my issue, you MUST use HDMI1, which shows eARC compatible on back of your TV. And you MUST have a compatible HDMI cord. Then on Receiver, obviously, make sure your Input on the Receiver shows HDMI1. I had to go through several. It won’t work without both.

I was not sure whether to start a new thread about eARC or add my issues to an existing one. Mods can feel free to move it if they wish.

I have a similar issue as the OP, only my components are a TCL QM8 TV and a Denon AVR-S960H receiver. I have never used my TV as the source of sound for my programming, but have always connected everything to my receiver and then the receiver to the TV. However, with all the apps on the TV, I was curious as to how eARc works and have been dicking around with it trying to get it to work. For one, I thought it might be simpler for my wife to use as she does not like having to use several remotes for several components.

I have my Roku Ultra and Blu-ray player attached via the Denon's HDMI inputs. I have the Denon connected to the TV via the Denon eARC output and the TVs eARC input. How is eARC supposed to work? I was under the impression it can be both an input and output. Am I incorrect in using the eARC output on the Denon as both an input and outout? Should I use the eARC output on the receiver as an input from the TV only, and should I use a different output and cable for components that go out of the receiver into the TV?

On the TV I currently have my sound set to TV speakers, but I have an option to set ARC as the audio output. When I set the TV audio output to ARC, nothing happens. I wonder if I am not doing this right. The TCL and Denon manuals do not give much specific info as to how to set this. On the Denon remote, I have the Roku connected as Cable/Satellite. I also have a selection on the remote for TV sound. Am I supposed to use TV Sound as the input on the remote in order to use the TV as the sound source?

It's not the end of the world if the eARC does not work. I can stream everything on my Roku. I just want to see if it can work so I can see what I think of it. It is looking so far like it is only of use to people who use soundbars (I have 5.1 setup).

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
ARC and eARC, in my opinion, are last ditch efforts for people who either have run out of HDMI ports on their receiver, have a soundbar and only want to use the apps built in to the TV, or watch local TV stations with an over-the-air antenna and are using the TV's built-in tuner. As you have experienced, it is not that easy to set up and for me is too much of a hassle plus it often introduces other issues that may or may not be welcomed. One of those is having to turn on HDMI CEC on both the Tv and receiver, which does often open up a can of worms in that as soon as the receiver or TV senses activity on an HDMI port, it will switch to that input whether you want it to or not.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Finally figured it out. You’re right, thanks. I hadn’t turned it on in the receiver settings. It was a video setting that I thought would be an audio setting. Simply had to toggle it on. So far seems to be working well. Not getting Atmos, but only DD+.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Follow-up:

I must have been streaming a non-Atmos source. Streamed a couple of episodes of Masters of the Air on AppleTV+ last night and the Denon was receiving Dolby Atmos.

---EDIT---
Only drawback I have seen from using ARC is that I have to change the setting back to TV speakers if I want to listen that way.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
...I'm assuming the HDMI path would be an improvement over the optical, or is this ARC overrated and buggy??...
optical can't deliver demanding codecs like Dolby Atmos or DTS-X, from the TV, so as some SoC limitations.
ARC or eARC hand shake with other device can be buggy when the firmware screws up the drivers in different components.
hence, some would choose not to update their TVs and stays @ default roll-off factory firmware. some updated their TV when new firmware updates comes available.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is for the TV's tuner and Internet applications (Netflix & Prime Video). It would be nice to get rid of the optical cable. I'm assuming the HDMI path would be an improvement over the optical, or is this ARC overrated and buggy?? I know they both are PCM and I believe both are 5.1. Correct me if I'm wrong.
eRC won't be any benefit for the internal tuner, and only a few apps on occasion. It will be simplest to use optical, considering the very limited opportunity for any improvement with eARC. If both the TV and receiver don't have eARC, you'll just get regular ARC, which will be no benefit over optical. And yes, ARC is buggy.

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
My Hisense has pops and cracks when using eARC with my Denon AVR. Switching to ARC solved the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks