What's new

Understanding HDR Settings on the AppleTV 4K (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's been four years since the first AppleTV 4K was introduced, and there's still a lot of confusion regarding its video "Format" setting as well as "Match Content". So, here's a quick explanation of how these settings work, since the way Apple has configured it doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense.

The settings I'm addressing are under the menu General>Audio & Video.

I'm going to address the "Match Content" settings first. With systems capable of HDR (HDR10 and Dolby Vision) there is the option to turn "On" Dynamic Range. I suspect anyone with an HDR capable system will want to turn this on. That will make the ATV switch between SDR and the best version of HDR available for each individual program. Basically it activates the same process available with most UHD disc players. When the program you choose to watch has a form of HDR that is compatible with your system, it will automatically switch to that. If it is SDR, it will switch to that.

The second setting in the "Match Content" menu is "Frame Rate". If your display is compatible with frame rates other than the standard (in the US) 30 or 60 fps, this setting can also be turned "On", and generally should be. The main benefit is that film sourced programs can play back at their native 24fps instead of being converted to 30fps, which causes artifacts.

The greatest confusion is regarding the "Format" setting. Depending on your system, there can be a lot of options, but in the US there are three primary ones to choose from at the top of the list. These are "4K 60Hz SDR", "4K 60Hz HDR", and "4K 60Hz Dolby Vision" The "Format" setting determines what format the AppleTV outputs menus and screen savers only, when "Match Content" is turned on for Dynamic Range, as suggested above. So, most people seem to prefer setting "Format" to "4K 60Hz SDR" for several reasons. First, there's not a big benefit to viewing menus and screen savers in HDR, and it avoids a lot of switching back and forth between SDR and HDR, since most content is still SDR. Also, with an OLED display, needless use of HDR could have detrimental effects on the life of the panel. Some people just prefer the look of HDR menus, but most seem to prefer they default to SDR.

Apple has added something to the menu to make things even more confusing. That's the "Enable Dolby Vision" option that appears if the format is not set to 4K 60Hz Dolby Vision. In fact, any time the ATV senses a DV compatible system for the first time, it will prompt you to "Enable Dolby Vision". The problem is, if your system is capable of Dolby Vision and you have Match Dynamic Range turned "On", you DO have Dolby Vision enabled, even though it acts like you don't. It will switch to DV when the source material is in Dolby Vision.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thank you for this explanation for the settings. It would also be helpful to have HDMI Output and Chroma explanations and recomendations. Are there settings that can fix or reduce the ATV4K screen blanking problems?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thank you for this explanation for the settings. It would also be helpful to have HDMI Output and Chroma explanations and recomendations. Are there settings that can fix or reduce the ATV4K screen blanking problems?
If your screen is only blanking momentarily when you start a movie or tv show, it is changing resolution/frame rate and acting correctly. If your screen is blanking randomly during playback, you either have a bad HDMI cable or your display (or some component in the video chain between the ATV4K and your display) is having issues with the resolution/frame rate being presented.

Using Chroma sub sampling 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 is what you want. You should only use 4:4:4 if you are using your display as a computer monitor because it helps to sharpen text. Using it for video is a waste because it uses an extraordinary amount of bandwidth and even UHD video is only 4:2:2 at best, with most being 4:2:0.

We have 4 TVs in our home, each with an ATV4K connected and they only blank for a second when starting a new movie / episode then again when I stop playback and return to the menu or whichever app I’m streaming with.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As Clinton said, a black screen for a few seconds when going between menus and content is normal. Any flickering or blanking aside from that is most likely a handshake problem not associated with the ATV. That black screen can seem like it lasts too long, even though it's a few seconds. When resuming playback the audio will even start before the image comes back. Even though that can be a little annoying, it's not actually a malfunction.

Corneileous

Agent
Real Name
Bill P
It's been four years since the first AppleTV 4K was introduced, and there's still a lot of confusion regarding its video "Format" setting as well as "Match Content". So, here's a quick explanation of how these settings work, since the way Apple has configured it doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense.

The settings I'm addressing are under the menu General>Audio & Video.

I'm going to address the "Match Content" settings first. With systems capable of HDR (HDR10 and Dolby Vision) there is the option to turn "On" Dynamic Range. I suspect anyone with an HDR capable system will want to turn this on. That will make the ATV switch between SDR and the best version of HDR available for each individual program. Basically it activates the same process available with most UHD disc players. When the program you choose to watch has a form of HDR that is compatible with your system, it will automatically switch to that. If it is SDR, it will switch to that.

The second setting in the "Match Content" menu is "Frame Rate". If your display is compatible with frame rates other than the standard (in the US) 30 or 60 fps, this setting can also be turned "On", and generally should be. The main benefit is that film sourced programs can play back at their native 24fps instead of being converted to 30fps, which causes artifacts.

The greatest confusion is regarding the "Format" setting. Depending on your system, there can be a lot of options, but in the US there are three primary ones to choose from at the top of the list. These are "4K 60Hz SDR", "4K 60Hz HDR", and "4K 60Hz Dolby Vision" The "Format" setting determines what format the AppleTV outputs menus and screen savers only, when "Match Content" is turned on for Dynamic Range, as suggested above. So, most people seem to prefer setting "Format" to "4K 60Hz SDR" for several reasons. First, there's not a big benefit to viewing menus and screen savers in HDR, and it avoids a lot of switching back and forth between SDR and HDR, since most content is still SDR. Also, with an OLED display, needless use of HDR could have detrimental effects on the life of the panel. Some people just prefer the look of HDR menus, but most seem to prefer they default to SDR.

Apple has added something to the menu to make things even more confusing. That's the "Enable Dolby Vision" option that appears if the format is not set to 4K 60Hz Dolby Vision. In fact, any time the ATV senses a DV compatible system for the first time, it will prompt you to "Enable Dolby Vision". The problem is, if your system is capable of Dolby Vision and you have Match Dynamic Range turned "On", you DO have Dolby Vision enabled, even though it acts like you don't. It will switch to DV when the source material is in Dolby Vision.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
I appreciate your explanation but I'm still unsure of what my settings need to be. I have a QN65Q7FAM Samsung TV so any help would be appreciated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I appreciate your explanation but I'm still unsure of what my settings need to be. I have a QN65Q7FAM Samsung TV so any help would be appreciated.
Interesting. That TV was released over five years ago and doesn't have the now common HDR10 or Dolby Vision. Unless maybe HDR10 has been added with a firmware update.

In any case, my personal suggestion would be the same. I'd set output to 4K SDR and under Match Content turn on both "Frame Rate" and "Dynamic Range" if they are available. And, if it asks if you want to "Enable Dolby Vision" I would say "No."

Corneileous

Agent
Real Name
Bill P
Interesting. That TV was released over five years ago and doesn't have the now common HDR10 or Dolby Vision. Unless maybe HDR10 has been added with a firmware update.
Thanks for the quick reply.

But, I don’t know, maybe it didn’t when it was new but according to this, under the HDR formats, it says my TV supports all of that but Dolby Vision and Advanced HDR. How would I verify this information?

In any case, my personal suggestion would be the same. I'd set output to 4K SDR and under Match Content turn on both "Frame Rate" and "Dynamic Range" if they are available. And, if it asks if you want to "Enable Dolby Vision" I would say "No."
So even with that said above, is it still advised to set the output to 4K SDR, turn in both frame rate and dynamic range? I’m guessing it’s a no-brainer to say no to the enable Dolby vision being that according to that link, my TV doesn’t support that.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It will only ask about Dolby Vision if the TV is capable of it.

Corneileous

Agent
Real Name
Bill P
It will only ask about Dolby Vision if the TV is capable of it.
Ok well, when you said to set the output to 4K SDR, you’re talking about under “video and audio” and where it says “format” up at the top, select the 4K SDR 60(59.94hz)? Currently I have it set to 4K HDR 60(59.94hz). When I select the 4K SDR 60(59.94hz), it sets the chroma to 4:4:4 and the HDMI output to YCbCr. Both Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate are set to on.

Also at the top of the screen now it gives me the option to enable HDR and when I do, it puts the format back to 4K HDR 60(59.94hz) and sets the chroma back to 4:2:0. Do leave the chroma there or put it back to 4:2:2?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ok well, when you said to set the output to 4K SDR, you’re talking about under “video and audio” and where it says “format” up at the top, select the 4K SDR 60(59.94hz)? Currently I have it set to 4K HDR 60(59.94hz). When I select the 4K SDR 60(59.94hz), it sets the chroma to 4:4:4 and the HDMI output to YCbCr. Both Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate are set to on.

Also at the top of the screen now it gives me the option to enable HDR and when I do, it puts the format back to 4K HDR 60(59.94hz) and sets the chroma back to 4:2:0. Do leave the chroma there or put it back to 4:2:2?
It is confusing, but I already explained it in the first post. The confusion of Apple’s setup options is why we did this thread. However, it‘s explained in the first post.

Corneileous

Agent
Real Name
Bill P
It is confusing, but I already explained it in the first post. The confusion of Apple’s setup options is why we did this thread. However, it‘s explained in the first post.
Oh ok, I guess I missed that part where you talked about only the menus and screensavers being HDR and I guess essentially wearing out the OLED panel but if I set my tv to 4K SDR, won’t that affect the content I watch that is HDR? So far a lot of Hulu live’s stuff I don’t think is HDR but a lot of stuff on Netflix, and I’m assuming on a lot of my other apps like YouTube, HBOMAX, Disney, prime video among a few others?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh ok, I guess I missed that part where you talked about only the menus and screensavers being HDR and I guess essentially wearing out the OLED panel but if I set my tv to 4K SDR, won’t that affect the content I watch that is HDR? So far a lot of Hulu live’s stuff I don’t think is HDR but a lot of stuff on Netflix, and I’m assuming on a lot of my other apps like YouTube, HBOMAX, Disney, prime video among a few others?
Turning on “Dynamic Range” in “Match Content” takes care of that, which again, is explained.

Corneileous

Agent
Real Name
Bill P
Turning on “Dynamic Range” in “Match Content” takes care of that, which again, is explained.
Ok. Well, I’m gonna try it a bit and I’m assuming I need to leave the HDMI output to YCbCr and leave the chroma set to 4:4:4? That’s the settings it enabled itself by switching back to the 4K SDR.

Oh and sorry if I’m having a hard time getting this stuff you already explained but when you don’t know, you don’t know so I ask questions. I consider myself pretty tech savvy but all this new stuff still confuses me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gene over at Audioholics has a nice video about the proper settings for 4KATV. The only thing I disagree with Gene about is the amount of GBs you need on your device. Unless you're serious into gaming with your 4KATV unit, you really don't need more than 32GB.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m wondering about hdr10+

I have the most recent atv4k which is supposed to be hdr10+ compatible.
my TV is hdr10+ compatible but I cannot get anything that has that to play with the +

I can switch to the Apple+ app on the tv and get the hdr10+ but not on the atv4k
Example.
Die Hard 2 has hdr10+ but only plays hdr10 but after switching over to the app on my Vizio i get hdr10+

Any ideas?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
On your ATV4K, go into Settings —> Video and Audio —> Match Content —> ensure Range and Frame Rate are set to On.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m wondering about hdr10+

I have the most recent atv4k which is supposed to be hdr10+ compatible.
my TV is hdr10+ compatible but I cannot get anything that has that to play with the +

I can switch to the Apple+ app on the tv and get the hdr10+ but not on the atv4k
Example.
Die Hard 2 has hdr10+ but only plays hdr10 but after switching over to the app on my Vizio i get hdr10+

Any ideas?
Of course, if it’s going through a receiver, it also has to be compatible with HDR10+

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Of course, if it’s going through a receiver, it also has to be compatible with HDR10+

That could be it.
My Denon 3400h might be the issue.
This actually didn’t even occur to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks