What's new

Press Release USHE Press Release: Classic Christmas Specials Collection (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
THE CLASSIC CHRISTMAS

SPECIALS COLLECTION

chris.png

NEWLY RESTORED ON BOTH 4K ULTRA HD AND BLU-RAY™

OWN THE BRAND NEW 4K ULTRA HD COLLECTION AND SINGLE 4K ULTRA HD RELEASES ON NOVEMBER 1, 2022

FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT

INCLUDES BLU-RAY™ AND DIGITAL CODE

SYNOPSIS: 'Tis the season to enjoy the timeless holiday classics in THE CLASSIC CHRISTMAS SPECIALS COLLECTION featuring 3 classic stories. Produced by Rankin/Bass, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town feature iconic "Animagic" stop-motion animation and Frosty the Snowman is beautifully animated. Starring the voice talents of Fred Astaire, Jimmy Durante, Mickey Rooney, Burl Ives and many more, these favorites also feature some of the most beloved songs of the season and are sure to entertain audiences of all ages for generations to come!

TV SPECIALS INCLUDED:
  • Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • Frosty The Snowman
  • Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town

BONUS FEATURES ON RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER 4K ULTRA HD:

• The Animagic World of Rankin/Bass
  • Restoring the Puppets of Rudolph
  • Reimagining Rudolph in 4D
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Attraction Film
  • T.E.A.M. Rudolph and the Reindeer Games

BONUS FEATURES ON FROSTY THE SNOWMAN 4K ULTRA HD:
  • Original Pencil Test
  • Commentary with Animation Historian Mark Evanier

BONUS FEATURES ON SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN’ TO TOWN 4K ULTRA HD:
  • Commentary with Animation Historian Greg Ehrbar

Instagram:
@uniallaccess

Twitter: @UniAllAccess

Tiktok: @universalallaccess​

RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER TALENT:

Director: Larry Roemer

Producer: Arthur Rankin, Jr.

Screenplay: Romeo Muller

Narrator: Burl Ives

Based on the Work(s) of: Robert May

FROSTY THE SNOWMAN TALENT:

Director: Arthur Rankin, Jr., Jules Bass

Producer: Arthur Rankin, Jr., Jules Bass

Voice Talent: Billy De Wolfe (The Magician / Professor Hinkle), Jackie Vernon (Frosty the Snowman)

Narrator: Jimmy Durante

Based on the Work(s) of: Steve Nelson, Jack Rollins

SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN’ TO TOWN TALENT:

Director: Arthur Rankin, Jr., Jules Bass

Producer: Arthur Rankin, Jr., Jules Bass

Voice Talent: Mickey Rooney (Kris Kringle / Santa Claus), Keenan Wynn (Winter Warlock)

Narrator: Fred Astaire

THE CLASSIC CHRISTMAS SPECIAL COLLECTION TECHNICAL INFORMATION 4K:

Street Date: November 1, 2022

Selection Number: 1000820936 (US) / 1000820937 (CDN)

Rating: Not Rated

RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER TECHNICAL INFORMATION 4K:

Selection Number: 2000178556 (US) / 1000820941 (CDN)

Layers: BD 66

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 1.35:1 Side Matted

Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian, French European, Latin American Spanish

Languages/Sound: English (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono for Feature and Dolby Digital 2.0 for Bonus Content) French European and Latin American Spanish (DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono)

Run Time: 00:52:02

FROSTY THE SNOWMAN TECHNICAL INFORMATION 4K:

Selection Number: 2000178557 (US) / 1000820942 (CDN)

Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian, French European, Latin American Spanish

Languages/Sound: English (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono for Feature and Dolby Digital 2.0 for Bonus Content) French European and Latin American Spanish (DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono)

Run Time: 00:25:40

SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN’ TO TOWN TECHNICAL INFORMATION 4K:

Selection Number: 2000178558 (US) / 1000820943 (CDN)

Subtitles: English SDH, French Canadian, Latin American Spanish

Languages/Sound: English (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 for Feature and Dolby Digital 2.0 for Bonus Content) Latin American Spanish (DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono)

Run Time: 00:50:59

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Universal's doing yet another quick cash grab release with these classics again. These had the potential to be very good versions, however once again the studio choose to not involve Rankin/Bass historian, Rick Goldschmidt on them. From what he has said on Facebook about these releases, is that they are inferior to the previous DVD releases from 20+ years earlier. They might looks nice image quality wise, but that they're the same versions that are aired on CBS and ABC yearly.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
It seems odd releasing them in 4K, I mean they're kids films, stick in a DVD & they'd be happy (it's only us ancient ones that are that fussy).

Speak for yourself, some of us who've been watching these specials yearly since childhood aren't anywhere near what could be considered anywhere near ancient.

4K is the latest fad, so everything has to be made available in this format, whether it improves anything or not.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It seems odd releasing them in 4K, I mean they're kids films, stick in a DVD & they'd be happy (it's only us ancient ones that are that fussy).
Yes but with 4K you'll be better able to see the hand prints on the felt and hair (and the wires use to accomplish some shots) ;) (on the ones that aren't cell drawn of course)!

It looks like they're available separately.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
If you’re wondering why THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY is not included in this 4K collection, it is because a 35MM print/element has gone MIA (missing in action) for the past four decades. It has been said that an original 35MM print is hidden in the NBC archives, possibly waiting to be unearthed. While most of the sound elements do exist in excellent quality (hence said sound quality in most recent DVD/Blu Ray releases with a few minor alterations through most of the video), visually what Universal currently has now is what Rick Goldschmidt (R/B historian) has nicknamed 16MM B-roll, that is a 16MM down-conversion from whatever 35MM element that originated from, hence the grainy quality of the current version we’ve been seeing since Classic Media took over the pre-‘74 R/B library. Unless Robert Harris can unearth that 35MM element or a negative, what we have now on TLDB is what we have now.

Incidentally. I have gotten in touch with Rick on several occasions on the possibility of a definitive R/B box set uniting all of the classic holiday specials in the near future—provided, of course, Universal and Warner Bros. (the latter company owning most of the post-‘74 R/B backlog) can get together with Shout Factory on such a set.

Until then…the discussion continues.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Deepscan. Thanks for the explanation. For a moment I thought The Little Drummer Boy might have been withheld because it was "religious." Glad to see I was wrong.

--jthree

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
If you’re wondering why THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY is not included in this 4K collection, it is because a 35MM print/element has gone MIA (missing in action) for the past four decades. It has been said that an original 35MM print is hidden in the NBC archives, possibly waiting to be unearthed. While most of the sound elements do exist in excellent quality (hence said sound quality in most recent DVD/Blu Ray releases with a few minor alterations through most of the video), visually what Universal currently has now is what Rick Goldschmidt (R/B historian) has nicknamed 16MM B-roll, that is a 16MM down-conversion from whatever 35MM element that originated from, hence the grainy quality of the current version we’ve been seeing since Classic Media took over the pre-‘74 R/B library. Unless Robert Harris can unearth that 35MM element or a negative, what we have now on TLDB is what we have now.

Incidentally. I have gotten in touch with Rick on several occasions on the possibility of a definitive R/B box set uniting all of the classic holiday specials in the near future—provided, of course, Universal and Warner Bros. (the latter company owning most of the post-‘74 R/B backlog) can get together with Shout Factory on such a set.

Until then…the discussion continues.

That’s a shame about the lack of a 35mm element, as Little Drummer Boy is probably my favorite of the Rankin-Bass Christmas specials. That said, I have to say I’ve been extremely disappointed with the audio mix on the more recent home video releases of the special to the point I find myself putting in my VHS copy of the film over the digital releases for the original mix. Not only are the digital releases missing a whole bunch of sound effects, but a crucial part of Greer Garson’s narration near the end of the film is inexplicably replaced by a man’s voice (possibly Paul Frees) that I’d say it’s worse than what happened with the DVD release of The Hobbit.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Personally, I would like to see a restored version of the original airing of Rudolph, at least as a special feature. AKA: Fame and Fortune, the original ending, the themed GE commercials, etc. But I don't see it happening now if it hasn't been done to this point.

Last edited:

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
That’s a shame about the lack of a 35mm element, as Little Drummer Boy is probably my favorite of the Rankin-Bass Christmas specials. That said, I have to say I’ve been extremely disappointed with the audio mix on the more recent home video releases of the special to the point I find myself putting in my VHS copy of the film over the digital releases for the original mix. Not only are the digital releases missing a whole bunch of sound effects, but a crucial part of Greer Garson’s narration near the end of the film is inexplicably replaced by a man’s voice (possibly Paul Frees) that I’d say it’s worse than what happened with the DVD release of The Hobbit.
According to Rick Goldschmidt (who I sometimes get in touch with), the dialogue that is replaced in the current version is indeed Paul Frees as taken from a “scratch track”, recorded as a guide for eventual narrator Greer Garson. And yes, some of the sound effects are also missing from the current version as what is left of the music, dialogue, and effects tracks in high quality is what we now hear in most recent releases.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Personally, I would like to see a restored version of the original airing of Rudolph, at least as a special feature. AKA: Fame and Fortune, the original ending, the themed GE commercials, etc. But I don't see it happening now if it hasn't been done to this point.

You should buy the special from Rick Goldschmidt, he sells the original 1964 version with the commercials on DVD from his website.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MISERBROS?page=3#items

If you want to see Fame And Fortune it's on YouTube and on this DVD from 2001 along with an interview with Arthur Rankin Jr. too.

1662502794239.png

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Wasn't Remington shavers a sponsor one year? I remember the snowman coming down a hill on an electric shaver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks