What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

International Via Vision Entertainment announces new premium Blu-ray label IMPRINT (2 Viewers)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have the Blu ray collection that was relaesed a few years ago, and the only bonus I see here are a hand full of commentaries and Dangerman episodes...Not enought to make me double dip, but it would be do-able for all of those with dvd editions ~
I have that older A&E Blu-ray of The Prisoner as well, so I'm good. I actually feel that Danger Man has more re-watchability than The Prisoner. However, I think the A&E Danger Man DVD set in the slim cases is all I need.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
When that first BR of The Prisoner was released I'd not yet purchased a BR player (and, at the time, had no plans for one - ever - that changed).

I'm quite happy with the A&E Danger Man set myself... And figure I'll be happy with the DVD set of The Prisoner but I won't know unless I break down and watch it...

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
THe big question is will the episodes be presented in the fan--preferred *chronological* order (or atleast a close approximation of this) or in the order of their original UK/Australian(?) airing?
The Network Blu-ray releases had them in the UK broadcast order.. Don't know about the U.S. A&E Blu-ray set (the DVD version, by same label, presented them in chronological order).

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Looks like it's time to finally open that DVD series set I purchased years ago and see if I like it enough to consider the BR. No, I've never seen the series before. I remember when it aired in the 60s but never really watched it back then (just remember sampling an episode or two and that it was quite "unusual") and purchased the series on DVD because of its history and status as classic TV.
It‘s a very good show with an absolutely terrible finale.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
THe big question is will the episodes be presented in the fan--preferred *chronological* order (or atleast a close approximation of this) or in the order of their original UK/Australian(?) airing?
The Network Blu-ray releases had them in the UK broadcast order.. Don't know about the U.S. A&E Blu-ray set (the DVD version, by same label, presented them in chronological order).
The original A&E Chronological order is still not quite right. They never seem to get A,B&C and The General in the right order. The General has to come first since Colin Gordon is No. 2 in both and he is extremely nervous in A,B & C, drinking milk to salve, I assume, an ulcer. The final shot of him reacting to the red phone is much more chilling when it's his second - and final - failure.

The A&E blu rays, though, are in broadcast order, which is just awful.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yes, the US A&E Bluray boxset was in the conological order of episodes.

DBF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ashley
Does anyone know if The Uninvited (1944) / The Unseen (1945) will be available on Amazon? I have gift cards to use there.

Otherwise, can anyone help me find the best place to order it from? (I am in the USA.)

I have not purchased any Imprint titles before and am not that familiar with/have no experience ordering from the companies I am seeing that have it listed for preorder right now except Deep Discount (and that was years ago), but the price is higher there and I am trying not to spend more than I have to.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Does anyone know if The Uninvited (1944) / The Unseen (1945) will be available on Amazon? I have gift cards to use there.

Otherwise, can anyone help me find the best place to order it from? (I am in the USA.)

I have not purchased any Imprint titles before and am not that familiar with/have no experience ordering from the companies I am seeing that have it listed for preorder right now except Deep Discount (and that was years ago), but the price is higher there and I am trying not to spend more than I have to.
I've used Import CDs for foreign purchases. Here's the link to that title ...

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I think it’s a terrific finale. Just as enigmatic as the rest of the series. I couldn’t see it ending any other way.
The rest of the series made sense on its own terms. The finale was something different altogether: an exercise in surrealism without a logical narrative. I found it a very unsuitable and unsatisfying ending.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The rest of the series made sense on its own terms. The finale was something different altogether: an exercise in surrealism without a logical narrative. I found it a very unsuitable and unsatisfying ending.

I agree with you. Enjoyed most of the series until that finale which came out of nowhere and made for an unsatisfying ending.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree with you. Enjoyed most of the series until that finale which came out of nowhere and made for an unsatisfying ending.
I saw it when first broadcast and just about everyone complained about the final episode. It showed contempt for the viewers who, from the advance publicity, expected a conclusion but it was just self-indulgent style above plot.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I saw it when first broadcast and just about everyone complained about the final episode. It showed contempt for the viewers who, from the advance publicity, expected a conclusion but it was just self-indulgent style above plot.
What are you talking about?

It had a conclusion.
He 'battled' Number Two for the right to be an individual. He found out the identity of Number One. He escaped the Village.

Saying the 'public expected a conclusion' is a 2024 mindset projecting itself into the past. As for final episodes, it was 1968. Almost all shows back then didn't have a 'final wrap-up episode'. They just ... ended.

Which was appropriate because most didn't have an on-going story. It wasn't the style.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What are you talking about?

It had a conclusion.
He 'battled' Number Two for the right to be an individual. He found out the identity of Number One. He escaped the Village.

Saying the 'public expected a conclusion' is a 2024 mindset projecting itself into the past. As for final episodes, it was 1968. Almost all shows back then didn't have a 'final wrap-up episode'. They just ... ended.

Which was appropriate because most didn't have an on-going story. It wasn't the style.
I was there in 1968 and I can assure you that the public very much did expect a conclusion. Viewers and press critics were outraged and their reaction made McGoohan leave the U.K. for good! This U.K. made series wasnt like the typical US series that carried for more than one series with no expectation of a conclusion.

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
Some did. Pat went on record as stating he received nasty letters on the finale and going briefly into hiding. The entire series had elements of surrealism. It wasn’t the first time. I found it perpl3xing and fun in the best sort of way. We were also told the answer from the very beginning.

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor

i don’t know if it is still available but The Uninvited did receive a Criterion release. Amazon is hit or miss about which Imprint titles they carry.

Reactions: DBF

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
So did I and I loved it. It was perplexing but still entertaining. The surrealism of that final episode was more than hinted at. I don’t think,it showed contempt for viewers at all. Pat wanted to challenge the audience and expectations and had done so from the very beginning of the series. The audience had been conditioned by traditional television programs to expect material that was route in nature. Pat wanted to challenge that and did so successfully. One of the reasons why folks still talk about it today. What would have shown contempt? Pat was given the chance to write and close out a final episode. If he had rejected that and just done another episode that continued to string the audience along, that would,have shown contempt. Instead, he concluded it the only way he could see forward-building on the surreal elements from other episodes in the series and telling us what we already had been told but not realized-we are Number one by supporting the society we live in.

I also disagree it was self indulgent style above plot. It had a plot but not liking the direction or the relevation of the conclusion is something else entirely. The first part of the finale pointed In that direction as well. That wasn’t Pat’s intent at all in terms showing contempt for the audience. He wanted to push the series to its (il)logical extreme.

it showed more faith in an audience than was warranted at the time. The audience wasn’t ready for it. That’s not contempt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks