What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Vital sociological issue: How do you mount your toilet paper...to dispense from top or bottom? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Years ago when my sibs were alive, we decided to plan a family Trivial Pursuit game, the questions for which we all took weeks to prepare. One that was given to me was: Do you remember how Mom used to mount the toilet paper rolls in our house? And this took me no time at all to answer:

Yes, she always had it dispensing from over the top of the roll. How did I recall this without even thinking about it? I've been a movie fan practically since birth. While sitting on the can, I'd pretend that TP roll was a spool of movie film, which I knew spooled over the top of a film reel. Every time I wiped, another scene would be projected.

Thus was created a true (if eccentric) movie fanatic.

How about you all, and how do you remember your answer?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Correct. The other way is just... wrong. So wrong.
*Unless* you have a cat or small child. If it's over the top (like it should be) they'll spool the entire roll into the floor for fun. When you have either in the house it's "safer" to have it roll off the back so when the spool is hit from the front it winds up instead of into the floor. I speak from experience.

I no longer have cats or small kids in my house so the rolls are all done correctly.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have a parallel question. I have seen multiple commercials (photo and TV) with actors sitting on the toilet holding a roll of paper.
Virtually every one of the these are female for some reason in Constipation, Diarrhea, IBS products

Is this a thing with rolls not being mounted at all? Do women on the toilet prefer to hold the roll?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Top. However, in houses that have cats, that can sometimes prove to be disastrous. As Bob already stated.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I have a parallel question. I have seen multiple commercials (photo and TV) with actors sitting on the toilet holding a roll of paper.
Virtually every one of the these are female for some reason in Constipation, Diarrhea, IBS products

Is this a thing with rolls not being mounted at all? Do women on the toilet prefer to hold the roll?

I take it to show that the need was so dire that they used up the mounted roll and just grabbed a new one to continue with, not taking the time to mount it. Perhaps even being pessimistic that the new roll will be enough.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
From the bottom and there is nothing wrong about it. I know I do it that way because it was always done that way, even when I was a kid.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
*Unless* you have a cat or small child. If it's over the top (like it should be) they'll spool the entire roll into the floor for fun. When you have either in the house it's "safer" to have it roll off the back so when the spool is hit from the front it winds up instead of into the floor. I speak from experience.

I no longer have cats or small kids in my house so the rolls are all done correctly.
We had two cats for 18 years, and they did that when they were kittens, but fortunately they grew out of it quickly. Instead, they found other things to annoy us with.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess that must have been drummed into me as a kid b/c it never was much of an issue. I guess having small cousins and multiple pets in the house also made that a bit more automatic after having to clean up a couple bathrooms and hallways after some puppies decided to play in the water taking advantage of a lapse in judgement

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I guess that must have been drummed into me as a kid b/c it never was much of an issue. I guess having small cousins and multiple pets in the house also made that a bit more automatic after having to clean up a couple bathrooms and hallways after some puppies decided to play in the water taking advantage of a lapse in judgement
Same here -- putting the toilet seat down is just a natural thing for me.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
What do you think we are, animals? :D Toilet seat is always down and toilet paper always rolls off from the top / front.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Related issue : The female insistence on putting down the toilet seat. Bleah!

That is 100% correct in putting down (closing) the toilet seat but BEFORE you flush else all the germs will be sprayed across your bathroom and all over your toothbrush. Surely you know that? You would be surprised at how far the germs will travel if you flush with the seat open. This has been proven scientifically.

Housemaids are trained to put toilet rolls to run from the top.

How many people wash their hands after using the toilet by turning on the tap with dirty fingers? It is a case of putting more germs onto the tap and then they are transferred to your hands. Use the palm of your hand or a tissue in order to alleviate the problem. Hot air dryers also just blow germs onto your wet hands so avoid them. If using a public toilet then use a tissue to open the entrance door when leaving else you will be handling a very germ infested door handle which defeats the purpose of washing your hands ( and which so many people never do after using a public toilet.).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
That is 100% correct in putting down (closing) the toilet seat but BEFORE you flush else all the germs will be sprayed across your bathroom and all over your toothbrush. Surely you know that? You would be surprised at how far the germs will travel if you flush with the seat open. This has been proven scientifically.

Housemaids are trained to put toilet rolls to run from the top.

How many people wash their hands after using the toilet by turning on the tap with dirty fingers? It is a case of putting more germs onto the tap and then they are transferred to your hands. Use the palm of your hand or a tissue in order to alleviate the problem. Hot air dryers also just blow germs onto your wet hands so avoid them. If using a public toilet then use a tissue to open the entrance door when leaving else you will be handling a very germ infested door handle which defeats the purpose of washing your hands ( and which so many people never do after using a public toilet.).
Oh c'mon, the female insistence on putting down the toilet seat has nothing to do with hygiene. I think you're confusing the seat with the lid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks