What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Wanted: GUNSMOKE (CBS/1955-1975) (6 Viewers)

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
1676532571795.png

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Hey everyone, sorry for maybe disturbing the peace with my request but I recently bought a new Season 1 set to replace my old one and I don't really remember the dvd menus and discs looking like that.

The discs are silver looking, shiny with black lettering on them, not the platinum matte looking one that are available in the complete series for example.

And the menu is overly simplistic with really strange fonts and all.

Can someone take a screenshot of their season 1 menu and a picture of the S1 discs?

I just wanna know if my new set is legit or a counterfeit 😆

Didn't pay too much for it, but still.

Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking this wonderful thread a little bit.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Hey everyone, sorry for maybe disturbing the peace with my request but I recently bought a new Season 1 set to replace my old one and I don't really remember the dvd menus and discs looking like that.

The discs are silver looking, shiny with black lettering on them, not the platinum matte looking one that are available in the complete series for example.

And the menu is overly simplistic with really strange fonts and all.

Can someone take a screenshot of their season 1 menu and a picture of the S1 discs?

I just wanna know if my new set is legit or a counterfeit 😆

Didn't pay too much for it, but still.

Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking this wonderful thread a little bit.

I can't help you at the moment but wait for June.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just found out that I have several seasons of Gunsmoke in high definition through Paramount+. Turned to first episode of the first color season, called "Snap Decision," which first aired September 17th, 1966. The opening teaser was really good from my pov, with Matt Dillon making that snap decision that ends badly. Guest star Sam Gilman does a good job of drawing the viewer in with a dramatic and yet realistic performance. More blood is shown, and in shocking color, than I recall from the few other color episodes of this show I've seen. Cinematography is by Harry Stradling, who directed over eighty episodes of the show, and after that several major motion pictures, including Support Your Local Sheriff, Little Big Man, 1776, Bite the Bullet, S.O.B. and many others. PQ for this episode is very good, with great detail and depth, full living color, and only a few tiny flaws here and there. The show works quite well on a 65" tv.

gunsmoke snap decision.jpeg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
One of the other guest stars on Snap Decision is Michael Strong, who as usual is compelling, and is also known for his memorable role as Dr. Roger Korby in the Star Trek classic What Are Little Girls Made Of? I couldn't fine a good photo of Strong from this episode, and so I'm including one from that tos show. James Arness delivers a strong performance as a sometimes tortured man in this episode, which also is rather physical at times. The second episode of the 12th season of Gunsmoke is called The Goldtakers, and has as a guest star another favorite of mine from this era and beyond, Martin Landau. Landau, of course, has memorable roles in North by Northwest, Cleopatra, Mission Impossible, Space 1999, Tucker, and won a deserved Oscar for portraying Bela Legosi in 1994's Ed Wood. Anyway, this episode is somewhat far-fetched, but has an impressively action-packed shoot out at the end.

whatarelittlegirlsmadeofhd169.jpeg
Martin_Landau-Mission-1968.jpeg
goldtakers.jpg
snap arness.jpg

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
So as I get into this series for the first time, 68 years after it premiered, I am swept up into the lives of these people. Even bouncing all around the series randomly, I find most of the joy coming from the characters, the regulars. Doc firing off his acerbic comments, especially with the likes of Chester and Festus, the love the town has for Matt, the Marshal's own steel and kind heart, the deputies and assistants and even people like Sam the bartender are great people to spend time with. I can see why audiences kept this show on the air for two straight decades.

But dammit, one character stole my icy cold heart. Yep, it's Kitty. The firey, flirty, tough redhead at the Long Branch. As much as I tend to enjoy the "Matt Centric" episodes more, I find myself really looking forward to seeing Kitty. Amanda Blake was perfectly cast with her flashing eyes, electric smile and smokey voice. The way her face lights up whenever she see Matt says more about her feelings than any dialog could. This was one of TV's greatest love stories without either character sharing so much as a kiss on screen. But that love was just so obvious, it was wonderful to see Arness and Amanda Blake on screen together.

The show lost something when she left in the final year. Not only was she a great character in her own right, she was the only regular woman in the cast. However, no replacement would have been good enough, so the smart play was to just let her go. It's just sad no explanation for her leaving, or a farewell episode was offered.

No matter, 19 years is a long time.

Of all the screen intros, this is my favorite of hers.

01 Favorite Credit Shot.JPG

First time she and Matt lock eyes on screen and her face is a study. Chester loses a beer. You know where you stand, buddy.

02 First Look at Matt.JPG

I swear, she can melt snow with those eyes.

05 Eyes to Melt a Glacier.JPG

Even 11 years in, her face when she sees Matt in action tells a story.
06 11th season, she's still in love.JPG

The closest they got to an on-screen clinch in "Seven Hours to Dawn." She went through hell in that one.

07 Matt Got it Again.JPG

Lucy may be America's Favorite Redhead, but Amanda got my vote...

08 Firey.jpg

Even as she got older, she was still a beauty.

09 Older and Just as Gorgeous.jpg

10 Age Was Kind.jpg

11 Swoon.jpg

She had sex appeal to spare.

Amanda Blake - Bio, Net Worth, Height, Widow, Nationality, Facts.jpg

That smile...

Amanda Blake Photos and Premium High Res Pictures.jpg

And without the gobs of Gunsmoke makeup, she was even lovelier...

Amanda Miss Kitty Blake - Autographed Inscribed Photograph  _ HistoryForSale Item 272409.jpg

And here are a few more which can go without comment...because they speak for themselves.

Amanda-Blake-as-Miss-Kitty-Russell-4~1.jpg
Amanda-Blake-Miss-Kitty-Gunsmoke.jpg
image_access_800.jpg
MV5BMjM3NDkxNTg3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTcyOTQ3MTE@._V1_.jpg
MV5BMTkzNDk2MzEzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjgyOTQ3MTE@._V1_.jpg
Slideshow.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage-2021-03-03T064445.666.jpg

And that's it. She was something else. Yet another one of those stars I wish I had appreciated well before they passed. I would have loved to meet her.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
But dammit, one character stole my icy cold heart. Yep, it's Kitty. The firey, flirty, tough redhead at the Long Branch. As much as I tend to enjoy the "Matt Centric" episodes more, I find myself really looking forward to seeing Kitty. Amanda Blake was perfectly cast with her flashing eyes, electric smile and smokey voice. The way her face lights up whenever she see Matt says more about her feelings than any dialog could. This was one of TV's greatest love stories without either character sharing so much as a kiss on screen. But that love was just so obvious, it was wonderful to see Arness and Amanda Blake on screen together.

Tremendous, heartfelt tribute to Amanda Blake, Scott! Wow, and mentioning Lucille Ball is apropos. If anyone else could have given Lucy a run for the title of "The First Lady of Television", it would likely be Amanda Blake.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

MISS KITTY SOLO EPISODES SELECTION • GUNSMOKE

season 5

“Kitty’s Injury”
“Kitty’s Killing”
“Crowbait Bob”

season 7
“Miss Kitty”
“Marry Me”
“The Dreamers”

season 8
“The Way It Is”
“Panacea Sykes”

season 9
“Kitty Cornered”

season 10
“Help Me, Kitty”
“Twenty Miles from Dodge”

season 11
“Gold Mine”

GUNSMOKE SEASON 8

Episode #12

“The Way It Is”
written by Kathleen Hite
directed by Harry Harris
music composed and conducted by Nathan Van Cleave
guests: Claude Akins, Garry Walberg, Virginia Lee, George Selk, Glenn Strange, Duane Grey, Bob Murphy

It’s a very good solo existential/sentimental Miss Kitty episode in which she displays her bitter side and disappointment towards Dillon and therefore leaves town in a hurry: don’t miss the initial leave town scene on horse that starts Act 1 in which she avoids and disregards her best friends (Doc, Chester). Find a barn party in which Miss Kitty shows her surrogate choice or surrogate man suffering from a severe headache that degenerates into a bad temper and madness. Notice the dolly shot into the Long Branch that opens and closes this drama. For the anecdote, Dillon is out of town and wears his light gray tweed jacket.

Guest assistant: Chester.

Returning guest actors: Claude Akins (the season 7 “He Learned About Women”), Garry Walberg (the season 7 “Chester's Indian”), Duane Grey (the season 1 “The Guitar”).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks