What's new

Press Release Warner and Universal to Merge Domestic Disc Business (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
In the laserdisc days it was pretty much just Pioneer and Image doing the distribution, and promoting the format in general. Prices were a bit insane, but other than that I wouldn't mind a return to that if it was an acknowledgement that the people buying their stuff were the ones who cared about quality.

There's a perfectly practical reason for lower sales overall though- some of us are out of shelf space!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There's a perfectly practical reason for lower sales overall though- some of us are out of shelf space!

Yup, that's certainly the case with me. I live in a small house & there's discs all over the place (& a ridiculous amount of unwatched TV box sets), so a New Years resolution was, buy only must-have titles, & there's a few hundred of those. So any company wanting my money, easy, just release something I want.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the laserdisc days it was pretty much just Pioneer and Image doing the distribution, and promoting the format in general. Prices were a bit insane, but other than that I wouldn't mind a return to that if it was an acknowledgement that the people buying their stuff were the ones who cared about quality.

It turns out there's only really one giant cd/dvd/bluray discs manufacturer left in north america: Thomson/Technicolor plant in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Currently Disney, Universal, Warner, Paramount, Sony and other smaller movie companies (such as Cinedigm, etc ...) all manufacture their dvds and blurays at this giant Mexico plant. Every disc manufactured at this Thomson/Technicolor plant will have an ifpi code KK** (where ** are alphanumeric wildcards) stamped in the first transparent plastic ring away from the center of the disc.

Though the issue of whether they actually "care about quality" is questionable in regard to disc quality control.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Currently I have no idea where Fox's dvds/blurays are manufactured.

For many years previously, Fox and Lionsgate had their dvds/blurays manufactured at Thomson/Technicolor's plant in Huntsville, Alabama. Discs manufactured in this Huntsville planet will have an ifpi code 2F** (where ** are alphanumeric wildcards) stamped in the first transparent plastic ring away from the center of the disc.

(I don't currently own any Fox dvd/bluray titles which were released after the Disney/Fox merger).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If there's any truth to online rumors, there's a whisper that the Technicolor dvd/bluray discs manufacturing plant in Huntsville, Alabama might be closing down.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Sad to see such pictures of cd/dvd/bluray disc manufacturing equipment being liquidated.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If you have any cd/dvd/bluray discs with ifpi code 2U** (where ** are alphanumeric wildcards) stamped in the first transparent plastic ring away from the center of the disc, it was manufactured at this former Technicolor/Cinram/WEA disc manufacturing plant in Olyphant, PA.

For example, such as many Warner released dvds/blurays/hddvds manufactured before 2010.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Technicolor/Cinram/WEA disc manufacturing plant in Olyphant, PA.

For example, such as many Warner released dvds/blurays/hddvds manufactured before 2010.
Many of which are now unplayable due to rot.

Image never manufactured discs, they licensed and distributed titles. The discs were manufactured by a number of companies in both the US and Japan.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Image never manufactured discs, they licensed and distributed titles. The discs were manufactured by a number of companies in both the US and Japan.

IIRC back in the day, one big laserdisc manufacturing plant was Sony DADC in Terre Haute, Indiana.

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5980

That Terre Haute plant was Sony's primary facility for manufacturing their cds/dvds/blurays/4Kblurays and PS2/PS3/PS4 discs in america, until 2018 when it was closed down for everything but PS4 discs.

https://fox59.com/2018/01/17/sony-disc-plant-in-terre-haute-laying-off-around-380-workers/

Since mid-2018, this is why Sony's dvds and blurays have been manufactured at Thomson/Technicolor's facility in Mexico ever since.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Oh my, I remember how many laserdiscs from that Terre Haute plant got laser rot. Not a pretty sight.

Saw a video on YouTube about this. If this means that Universal and WB will be able to join forces to cut replication costs, I'm hopeful that physical media will still be around for at least another 10 years.

If they're cutting replication costs, then they're also cutting excuses not to release certain titles.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If they're cutting replication costs, then they're also cutting excuses not to release certain titles.

Are they? I'd guess that they're cutting costs because they're seeing their profits slowly shrinking on physical media (especially catalog titles). Cutting costs will allow them to do just what they've been doing for a while longer.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the end, lowering fees (or zero fees once all the patents expire) will probably do nothing significant when it comes to consumer level.

That el-cheapo $20 generic Sony dvd player manufactured in China, will probably still be a $20 dvd player. Both before and after complete patent expiration.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Do you really believe the manufacturers are going pass on those "savings" to the consumer? :)

(Either in terms of super el cheapo hardware, and/or a higher volume of $5 movie titles released).

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Yup, that's certainly the case with me. I live in a small house & there's discs all over the place (& a ridiculous amount of unwatched TV box sets), so a New Years resolution was, buy only must-have titles, & there's a few hundred of those. So any company wanting my money, easy, just release something I want.
Sounds just like me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks