What's new

Warner Archive Instant "relaunch" (1 Viewer)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Their Facebook page has been talking about this and posting a link that has you sign up for an access code to view a preview or beta version. Apparently that's not quite ready to roll yet either. That's all I've been able to find out.

Here's the link to get the access code. As I said, they're not sending those out yet.

https://www.warnerarchive.com

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
This is great! They do however need to move the Warner Archive purchase business into digital downloads or whatnot. They have discussed this in the past but when?

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I would love them to go all in for digital downloads, especially for their animated titles. They have been adding a lot of their Hanna Barbera titles to iTunes recently, some in HD.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I got an invite to check out the revamped Warner Archive Instant, but when I got there I found a redesigned website and an announcement that the apps are also redesigned. But I couldn't log in. It didn't recognize my password (which still worked on the old website even after my subscription lapsed) and when I went thru the "forgot password" rigamarole that didn't work either: it told me the reset password token was invalid. So I couldn't log in. Based on what I can see without logging in the selection looked just as threadbare as the last time I dropped in.

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
They need to rotate new titles more often. The same films run for months and months without new titles coming into the service. I'm paid through December and I will not renew.

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
Color me unimpressed. This seems to be live now, with an updated website and streaming apps. Selection seems just as limited, only now stuff is harder to find. No more browsing by decades on my Roku.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Last night I checked out the Roku app which has been revamped...but not for the better. To look at, say, Westerns you get the same faux-3D single horizontal line of titles that you find on those cheap PD-movie Roku channels. Only one title fully visible at a time. Click to move to the next title. Dozens of titles? Dozens of clicks. The original format was easier to negotiate.

I could find nothing on the app that would direct me to tv shows. Some tv movies were interspersed with the theatrical films but I couldn't find any series episodes at all. Yet on the website there are several tv series shown with multiple episodes available to watch (e.g. Harry O, a handful of Surfside Six, etc). If they're available on the app I couldn't figure out where to find them.

They revamped their apps only to make them clumsier and less intuitive.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Last night I checked out the Roku app which has been revamped...but not for the better. To look at, say, Westerns you get the same faux-3D single horizontal line of titles that you find on those cheap PD-movie Roku channels. Only one title fully visible at a time. Click to move to the next title. Dozens of titles? Dozens of clicks. The original format was easier to negotiate.

Read this... I think it's fair to say that Roku is starting to show some cracks and the bigger competitors are catching up...

http://www.techhive.com/article/312...app-problem-but-its-working-on-solutions.html

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Warner Archive Instant is running a 40% off special on this channel right now. They still give you the 30 day free trial with it.
I couldn't justify $9.99 per month for this channel on my Roku with it's limited offerings (most of which I bought on DVD back when they used to put out those fantastic boxed sets) but am willing to give it a go for $4.99 per month billed annually.
This might be of interest for those who were considering trying it out but were turned off by the price. Scroll to the bottom of page I linked to see offer.

https://news.warnerarchive.com/the-...-bet-youve-never-seen-c16f24833940#.txiifnvjv

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Holy Toledo that is a small selection of things to watch.
I just signe dup for a free month and browsed and found maybe 10 movies and tv shows to put into my watchlist.

Robert Donovan

Auditioning
I go the $59 per year deal through email this week. The Price is Right, but the Roku Application is a joke. I have to go to the website and browse all of the TV and Movie Selections to ADD to my Watchlist, that is then reflected on the Roku. There seems to be plenty of streaming to choose from at www.warnerarchive.com , by clicking on the title and choosing the option ADD TO WATCHLIST. The original Roku App showed which TV and Movies were in High Definition. That feature seems to be gone and I have to test out each selection.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Total Content is still the same. They just ratote out a dozen or so titles every few months.

Still not enough.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Filmstruck is a much better deal at $99/yr. Turner Classic Movie titles (which is Warner Bros.) and the Criterion Collection. I'm sure this is where Warner's attention is...

Robert Donovan

Auditioning
Filmstruck is a much better deal at $99/yr. Turner Classic Movie titles (which is Warner Bros.) and the Criterion Collection. I'm sure this is where Warner's attention is...
I spent the last hour looking over Filmstruck. Great choice, and thank you. I like that the app is available on my Amazon Fire box. But question: They don't seem to have any television series like the Warner Archive has. Do you think that only Warner will have some of the great 50s, 60s, 70s classic TV series?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I spent the last hour looking over Filmstruck. Great choice, and thank you. I like that the app is available on my Amazon Fire box. But question: They don't seem to have any television series like the Warner Archive has. Do you think that only Warner will have some of the great 50s, 60s, 70s classic TV series?

I would assume it will be for movies only, but you never know.

I love that the service has introductions for the movies by directors, critics, etc. It's definitely much more than a Netflix-like service.

Go for the free trial!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Just happened upon this thread and started a free month trial of Warner Archive and at first I was impressed and now not so much.

There seem to be some movies that even on the WB Archive DVDs they are in full widescreen but on their streaming some are pan/scanned and many other movies just seem like substandard looking standard definition.

I admit that their current pricing is nice but like others I hate that you have no idea what films are in HD or not. If others are right in also saying the don't rotate movie selections that much maybe FilmStruck is a better option for me.

I wish I could browse the movies FilmStruck has to offer so maybe I will try a free trial soon. Does their site let you know what titles are in HD Or not?

Robert Donovan

Auditioning
I did the $59 a year deal. I'm still stuck on the Roku device, but the selection and High Definition Quality has picked up dramatically. When I go to their website and log into my account (which is tied to adding everything to my Watch List through Roku), I noticed a NEWS section off their home page. And under NEWS, they have a great article for James Cagney, with quite a few classic films in high definition. It's an easy point, click, and Add to my Watch List for watching through the Roku.

Still, does anyone know how I can add the Warner Archive to my Amazon Fire device (which sits next to my Roku device)? Both devices are connected to my HDTV Big Screen and have great quality, but I think my Amazon Fire delivers more cache than the Roku.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-29_19-51-27.png
    upload_2017-5-29_19-51-27.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 79

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Many people are choosing not to use these niche micro-payment websites and sticking with the big ones, Netflix mainly. I only which they would up their classic film selections. The niche ones will hold on for a bit but I expect many will fold when they dont produce enough money to justify. We are already seeing many of the smaller online streaming companies reporting losses this year. :(

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I had to dump Warner Archive streaming. I did the free 30 days or whatever it was at the time. Never was anything new added. To me knowledge about 98% of their titles were standard definition and as an even worse issue... so many films were loaded not even in their correct aspect ratio and the film was available in correct aspect ratio on their DVD counterpart.

I just felt like as a streaming service direct for Warner it feels like it is ran by people who could care less about their product and its presentation. Yes they have some good titles... but I didn't want to pay for this service as having anything new being added to their service and I even messaged them on several issues and never got a response.

Dumped and done and honestly Warner Archive is great for Blu-Rays they hit it out of the park out doing their WHV library when it comes to their high standards... like maxing out disc space for the film really giving you the best quality possible.

mark-edk

Second Unit
They've done some interesting stuff in their tv listings lately, offering a complete run of all four seasons of Hawaiian Eye (though apparently there are one or two eps missing from seasons 3 and 4). I may have to rejoin, if I can still get the 30-day free trial that is (I was a member of the original flavor Warner Archive Streaming).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petr
Recent bookmarks