What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Archive Press Release: Million Dollar Mermaid (1952) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 1.06.33 PM.png

NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan of original nitrate Technicolor negatives!
MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID (1952)
Run Time 110:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50

James Sullivan works the carny circuit, promoting the likes of a boxing kangaroo or grappling bear. Then the wheeler-dealer meets a million-dollar idea: beautiful swimming champ Annette Kellerman. She’ll churn through a River Thames PR stunt. Cause a bathing-suit scandal among Boston bluebloods. Headline New York’s Hippodrome. And become a Hollywood swimsation as cameras roll and Rin Tin Tin looks on. Glamorous, amphibious Esther Williams portrays the real-life aquatic star in a splashy biopic costarring Victor Mature and loaded with stunning spectacle (including a must-see Busby Berkeley masterwork). Is this lovely Esther’s signature film? Well, she called her 1999 autobiography The Million Dollar Mermaid.
Special Features: Vintage Pete Smith Specialty short "Reducing"; Vintage Cartoon "The Wise Little Quaker" ; Audio-Only Bonus: Radio show with Esther Williams and Walter Pidgeon; Theatrical Trailer (HD).

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
This is a wonderful surprise! My wife and I have been going through the Esther Williams movies and this is one of the ones we haven’t gotten to yet. Happy to wait for this new release!

Glad to hear that Josh. Esther's movies are a great way to escape from what's going on today.

I'm so pumped about this release. The DVD has color separation issues and with a 4K scan of the original negative it should look fantastic knowing how the Archive handles their library.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Me too! As always, it comes down to sales numbers. If enthusiasts and collectors buy this, particularly on or near release date at regular price, that’ll send a message that working on another one would be a viable use of resources. If people don’t buy it or delay their purchases until it’s on a 4/$44 sale, the studio will get the message that the audience for the title isn’t big enough to pursue further releases. I’m planning on buying it as soon as I’m able to.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
1952, Ivanhoe was also released that year by MGM. But where is it ??
Andrew Budgell has campaigned for “Raintree County” since 2011.

PMF has campaigned for “Ryan’s Daughter” since 2015.

And yet, as passionate as we both may be on all matters concerning our separate pet projects, we have also always been thrilled with the consistent excellence of WAC’s nitrate restorations, their unyielding attentions towards superior transfers and their wonderful array of classic catalog titles; to which some and all had once thought that they would never see.

Rather than point out what is lacking during a celebratory announcement, why not derive and elicit a pleasure from what we have been given?

For whatever reasons; be it the state of a film and its elements, or considerations of long and short term budgeting, or a multitude of circumstances beyond our own understandings; I no longer have any doubts that WAC remains ever cognizant to all of our interests and Wish-Lists.

The monthly riches put forth by WAC should be applauded on the opening day of their announcements; and criticism (versus critique) might best be heard at a different time, somewhat thereafter.

I agree with many of your Wish-List hopes, so maybe another venue and means; such as starting your own independent HTF thread (like Mr. Budgell or myself); would allow for a more topic related discussion and pro-active approach.

From “Strike Up the Band” to “Million Dollar Mermaid”, the timing of WAC’s releases could not have been better. Pure escapism and reminders that there is joy.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
What has 1952 got to do with Bathing Beauty? And why do find it necessary to rain on this parade merely because a film other than your favorite is being released on Blu-ray disc? If you're obsessed with Ivanhoe, start a new thread.

I think you might want to edit that to Million Dollar Mermaid, Robin :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks