What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: The Pirate (1948) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1603234185440.png

NEW 2020 1080p HD Restoration from 4K scan of the original nitrate Technicolor negatives
THE PIRATE (1948)
Run Time: 101:00
Subtitles: English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1 4x3 FULL FRAME
Product Color: COLOR
Disc Configuration: BD-50
Special Features: Commentary by Author/Historian John Fricke, Making-of featurette “THE PIRATE: A MUSICAL TREASURE CHEST”, Vintage M-G-M short “You Can’t Win”, Vintage M-G-M cartoon “Cat Fishin’”, “MACK THE BLACK” musical sequence in HD with stereo audio, Audio-only outtakes, Associate Producer Roger Edens’ guide/rehearsal recordings, Judy Garland and Gene Kelly M-G-M radio promotional interviews, Original Theatrical Trailer (HD).

Judy Garland and Gene Kelly co-star in this dazzling Technicolor musical love story, set in the Caribbean during the early 19th century. The film is a showcase for director Vincente Minnelli’s dynamic use of Technicolor photography. A witty script from Albert Hackett and Frances Goodrich and a lively score of original songs by Cole Porter, result in a unique and unconventional entry into the canon of musicals produced at M-G-M by Arthur Freed during the studio’s golden era. Highlights of the film include Kelly and Minnelli’s ground-breaking “Pirate Ballet,” as well as two iterations of Porter’s “Be a Clown” - one featuring Kelly and the magnificent Nicholas Brothers (Fayard and Harold), and the finale performed by Kelly & Garland.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This film cries out for real 3 strip Technicolor. The DVD definitely didn't have it. It was dark. The description sounds promising with them scanning the nitrate technicolor negative. Have no idea what the source of the DVD was.

I prefer this poster for the cover than the one they used.

1603236407062.png

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
This film cries out for real 3 strip Technicolor. The DVD definitely didn't have it. It was dark. The description sounds promising with them scanning the nitrate technicolor negative. Have no idea what the source of the DVD was.

I prefer this poster for the cover than the one they used.

View attachment 80500
Agreed !

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
We all knew it was just a matter of time before this came out. All things come to those who are patient. Now we just need The Harvey Girls and In The Good Old Summertime.
I suspect one of those might be coming in December. In one of their recent podcasts, they said that two of the three remaining Judy Garland technicolor films were almost finished being restored and would be coming soon. We just got The Pirate announced, so whichever was the other one (most likely The Harvey Girls) should be almost ready too (and a likely December candidate).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I hope "The Harvey Girls" is next as I am not a fan of "The Good Old Summertime" The story was much better told in the film "The Shop Around The Corner" and the 1963 Broadway musical, "She Loves Me"
Though it would be nice to see an HD version of the outtake "Last Night When We Were Young"

Last edited:

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Like everyone else in this thread, I'm thrilled by this news, and this is a definite day 1 purchase. The DVD was quite lackluster. The mystery is, why did the laserdisc (the remastered one in the Judy Garland box set, along with The Harvey Girls and Summer Stock) look so much better than the DVD? Presumably, they were made from the same source material.

In less than two months, prior discs of The Pirate will hopefully be a non-issue. Given what Warners were able to do with Romance on the High Seas, this one should be a real demonstration quality stunner, given the costumes and other aspects of its production design.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I'm still waiting for MGM's Show Boat on Blu-ray. I don't think the people at WB Archive realize what a popular musical this was in 1951. It was the biggest money-maker for the studio that year, and it won the Photoplay Gold Medal Award for Most Popular Movie of 1951. Granted it doesn't have Judy Garland (although she was set to play Julie La Verne before MGM fired her) but it's a terrific Technicolor valentine that deserves its place in the sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks