What's new

Warning about "The Late Shift" DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I just watched the first 20 minutes or so of the new DVD of The Late Shift and I'm disgusted. While I can't be exactly sure of the intended aspect ratio, I know the film was made for HBO and was shown at 1.33. The DVD is presented at about 1.78 or so and it just looks totally wrong. Just in the first 20 minutes or so there are numerous scenes where heads are cropped off badly. In some of the fake clips from the Letterman press conference and show you can barely see his eyes. It's almost unwatchable to my eyes. I've been eagerly awaiting this release and I just can't believe how bad this looks.

I'm curious to hear anyone else's thoughts on this. Perhaps I'm being too picky but it sure doesn't look OAR.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this not even on the map for dvd.
were did you get your copy?

ok never mind, i never noticed a new street date after it was delayed the first time.

comes out 8-30.
dvdempire says 1.85.1

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
HBO also did this with BARBARIANS AT THE GATE, a TV movie released matted on DVD (and full screen on laserdisc).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I think "From the Earth to the Moon" was filmed in widescreen while "The Late Shift" was filmed in academy ratio.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I'm being paranoid but I suspect when and if wide screen televisions become the norm rather than the exception, false widescreen will be more prevalent. Wide screen I Love Lucys, wide screen Twlight Zones, wide screen Casablanca, wide screen Maltese Falcon etc.

I wonder if the HTFers who howl at wide screen films released pan and scan or open matte will be as upset? I hope so.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yikes!

just got my copy in the mail a few days
ago. Have not watched the DVD, but very
concerned about this cropping issue.

I'll try to watch it Tuesday and report back.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I do recall a boom mike being visible when Jay Leno shows up for work and is confronted by Helen(Kathy Bates) in the hallway. So I wonder if it is supposed to be shown in matted widescreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petr
Recent bookmarks