Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Got BB to price match Walmart for $9.99 for The Interview. [emoji106][emoji106]

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just had a surprising chat with a customer service rep at Amazon. I had two issues with my order this week.

Three "new release" blus (Birdman, St. Vincent & The Theory of Everything) were supposed to reach me Tuesday. Two CDs were supposed to be delivered to me under separate cover on Wednesday.

Instead one package--containing all five items--was delivered on Thursday. While I got a anotification that the package would be delayed due to weather/natural causes, their tracking info showed me that the items never left their hands until Tuesday!

The rep had no problem doing their usual "sorry" response and extending my Prime membership by a month.

While that was very much appreciated, the 2nd issue I had with the order was that Amazon never dropped the price on the blu of The Theory of Everything to match Target's sale price. So, while Target had it for $19.99 (plus a further Cartwheel discount), Amazon stuck with their $22.96.

Here's what surprised me. This is from the transcript of our chat:

Me: Question #2 is about the Blu-ray disc (in this same order) The Theory of Everything. I pre-ordered it at Amazon but then later realized that Target would be selling the same item for $19.99. Usually when that happens Amazon price matches the Target price so that I don't have to cancel the pre-order and purchase it at Target. But that didn't happen this time.

Your price on the item is $22.99.

Meenatchi: Let me check this for you.

Me: http://www.target.com/p/the-theory-of-e...(See full link)

http://www.amazon.com/Theory-Everything...(See full link)

Meenatchi: I'm sorry we are unable to price match with any other website.

Me: That is also their in-store price if that matters at all.

Meenatchi: We consistently offer competitive prices on everything we carry; however, the prices on our website are subject to change.

Me: I don't disagree with that at all. You folks are always most competitive. That's why I was surprised (and expected) the eventual price drop to match the Target ad price.

Meenatchi: Unfortunately,we don't honor prices or savings posted without our permission on other websites.

Me: Thanks. I guess I will need to be more vigilant next time and just cancel the pre-order when your price isn't competitive to the other retailers.

Which, admittedly, isn't that often.

Meenatchi: I'm sorry about this, Mike.

We don't have the control over this.

Usually we don't price match with other website.

Me: I will know to be watching more closely next time. Meenatchi, thank you for your help today.

I thought they'd give the discount/refund without issue.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, Amazon is sticky when it comes to price matching. I haven't found anything on their website about price matching, only their low price guarantee (or whatever they call it). I have to be hyper vigilant about pre orders with them for that reason, Mike. It stinks, but that's the price we pay for our "addiction." ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I had a similar issue with Amazon back in January over Boyhood. They shipped my pre-order while it was $25.85+tax and then lowered it to match whichever store had it for $19.99. Under their pre-order guarantee I should have been refunded the difference automatically, but I actually had to ask them to do it and they said something about this being an "exception." I'm not sure if the rep knew what he was talking about. Amazon is great when they work, but you do have to watch closely.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Mike: Amazon is currently selling Theory of Everything for $19.99. Depending on the customer service agent you get, you MIGHT be able to get them to give you a refund now because the price was adjusted so soon after you bought it. This is pretty hit-or-miss. I heard somewhere that they do this from time to time if you ask for it, but I can't actually find documentation of that. You might try it though...if you try and they refuse again, you're no worse off than you are now.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JakeLip said:
Mike: Amazon is currently selling Theory of Everything for $19.99. Depending on the customer service agent you get, you MIGHT be able to get them to give you a refund now because the price was adjusted so soon after you bought it. This is pretty hit-or-miss. I heard somewhere that they do this from time to time if you ask for it, but I can't actually find documentation of that. You might try it though...if you try and they refuse again, you're no worse off than you are now.

Jake:

I guess I owe you a cup of coffee sometime!

You are now connected to Lei from Amazon.com

Me: Hello Lei!

Lei: Hello Mike, my name is Lei.

Me: As you can see on the order in question, I had pre-ordered the Blu-ray of The Theory of Everything and received it Thursday of this week.

Lei: I understand you want a refund for the price difference?

Me: I see now today that you have dropped your price on that item and was wondering if such an adjustment was possible.
Your pre-order price was $22.99 and just a few days after its release the price has dropped to $19.99.

Lei: I see.
May I have your order number please?

Me: Certainly.
115-xxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx

Lei: Thank you . \
one moment please.
Thank you for waiting.
I'll be happy to process a refund for the difference for you.

Me: Thank you so much! :eek:) You folks at Amazon treat your customers well.

Lei: One moment to process.
Thank you for waiting.

Me: You bet.

Lei: I've successfully processed the refund of $ 3.24. and it will reflect on the original payment in 2-3 business days.

Me: Thank you so much for your help and your time tonight.

Lei: Is there anything else I may assist you with?

Me: No. That was it. Again...thank you!

Lei: Thanks for taking the time out to contact us today and it was a pleasure serving you.
If you don't have any further questions, you may Please click "END CHAT" button.

Thanks, buddy, for letting me know! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You are quite welcome -- glad you got a sympathetic associate -- and it looks like you jumped on that in the nick of time too since it's now back to $22something. The random fluctuations in Amazon prices are so weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsytems13
Recent bookmarks