What's new
World Wide Stereo

Weekly RoundUp 8-14-2012 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/322956/weekly-roundup-8-14-2012#post_3961579
My internet went down last night, so I couldn't pop in to say that I did get the review of The Royal Tenenbaums up in the late afternoon. It can be found here.

I've added a link to the OP, Matt.

And, I've also added a link to Richard's review of Twilight Time's Bye Bye Birdie.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Is the only difference between the two versions of Jaws at Best Buy the digibook packaging? I'm a big fan of the book style, but I'm not sure I can really justify $7 more for it. Planning on picking up The Hunger Games and Jaws this week.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I like the digibook format. I just wish it would be used for something of more value than the fluff so often seen.

But whatever's in this one, I'd happily pay the $7 if I knew it was buying me the privilege of housing ONLY the Blu-ray disc! (Yes, I know that isn't going to be the case.)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Is Ann-Margret OK? I think she just kicked herself in the back of the head.
I'll probably pick up Jaws for $10 somewhere when Black Friday rolls around.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jaws??? The Hunger Games???

Really?!?

That's all anyone can talk about this week? You people disgust me.

Bigfoot, people! Bigfoot!

b9bc5f34_bigfoot.jpeg

Jaws was just a rip-off of the whole Bigfoot franchise, anyway...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Will pick up "Jaws" at some point. Saw "Hunger Games" in the theater. Once was enough.
Saw "Bigfoot" on SyFy. Once was enough for that, too. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So it looks like 1 copy of the Blu-Ray movie, 1 copy of the Blu-Ray special features, and matching copies on standard DVD.
Thanks for the clarification. That hadn't been posted yet when I made my original post.
So, to summarize: it looks like Target's got two discs of special features, the one that all of the other stores are getting and a second one with the 45 minutes of additional extras they're advertising. Best Buy's exclusive also includes DVD copies of everything, which are not available with the Target or Walmart sets. Walmart's exclusive extras are only available through their streaming service, not in any permanent, high-quality capacity. All of the retailers seem to have exclusive crap and knick knacks they're bundling with extra super exclusive versions.
It looks like I'll be trying Target Saturday morning.

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
FYE will have a midnight Hunger Games release party with a pre order, and you get a nylon totebag.
Mockingjay.net posted the following:
Wal Mart will have Midnight Release Parties, and a few select cities will have cast members in attendance
Hunger Games Midnight Events
Dates: 8/17/2012 - 8/17/2012
Walmart stores nationwide will host more than 2,000 parties featuring exclusive content airing in-store, movie trivia and much more – all in honor of The Hunger Games. Fans that purchase the DVD at midnight will receive a special pack of collectible The Hunger Games trading cards (while supplies last). Random packs will include an autographed card from one of the cast members including Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson.
The link below allows you to enter your Zip Code to see where the nearest one is.
http://instoresnow.walmart.com/Event-Detail.aspx?txtEventID=1017
Costco has the following for Hunger Games Blu-Ray(no price found)
Blu Ray DVD
•Parachute Compartment Necklace that opens to reveal secret canister.
•Bag Clip, featuring the district 12 seal.
•14″ Arena Sack: Authentic prop replica, made of nylon.
cfcdd8f2_Costco-DVD-444x300.jpeg

Now if that Arena Sack had a "2" on it instead of a "12"...

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Has everyone's Jaws pre-order at Amazon been shipped? I'm wondering why mine says "shipping soon".

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I think mine had gotten stuck in some kind of limbo, because I had to enlist Amazon's help in cancelling it today. (Because I decided on getting the digibook at Best Buy.)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
FYI I was at BB today and I had only one TV title (Community S3), and some other BD titles. I was over $50 and it offered me the gift card!
From what I read it seemed it should only be $50 worth of TV titles, but maybe if you just have one TV title (or none) you can get the gift card.
I ended up putting it all back and I'm going to go to another store that has Jaws in stock tomorrow and just spend the $100 to get the $25 gift card.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Amazon appears to have raised their price on Jaws to $19.96. Don't they usually price match for the whole release week?

David Mahlan

Stunt Coordinator
DavidJ said:
I'm having trouble finding the digibook verison in stock.
I bought a copy online first thing Tuesday morning for in-store pick-up. At the time I placed the order, it looked like all the stores in the Chicago area had it in stock (this was about 10 minutes after stores opened). When I picked it up that evening, they told me it sold out almost immediately. I asked how many copies they had gotten and they said each store only got 2 or 3 copies of the digibook. He checked the system and there were only two stores in the entire Chicagoland area that still had a copy available. On my way out, I checked the display, and they didn't even have the non-digibook version left - only a few copies of the DVD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ That's the same thing I found here. Closest store had eight copies of the DVD when I got to BBY around 5:30 last night.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh my.

This apparent underestimation of the potential demand for the Blu of Jaws reminds me of that great line in Toy Story 2 from Tour Guide Barbie (in the toy store) when Pixar poked a little fun at itself and the success of the original Toy Story:

And this is the Buzz Lightyear aisle. Back in 1995, short-sighted retailers did not order enough dolls to meet demand.

For Target not even to include this title in their Sunday flyer ad was a real head-scratcher.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can understand why Best Buy sold out of the digibook copies of Jaws. If they're advertising a minimum of 2 per store, I assume that even their largest stores didn't get that many copies but to not have enough copies of the regular version just shows a lack of foresight.
I went yesterday morning and had no problem getting a copy but if I had gone yesterday night, I would have had every expectation of getting the disc and it sounds like I'd have been going home to Amazon instead. Unless it's big catalog titles or new releases, I haven't really bothered with Best Buy at all in a few years but based on this, it seems like they aren't even stocking huge catalog titles in proper quantities. I get that it's not 2003 anymore and catalog titles are deader than disco but some titles always sell and to not stock them in sensible numbers is just a big mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks