What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What Is It About the 1.66:1 Ratio That I Love So Much? (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My TV is nothing hugely special - a TCL Series 6, the top quality line that the budget manufacturer offers. The black levels on it blow me away, and with the bezel around it being practically non-existent, if I have the lights in the room off I can’t tell where the TV frame ends and where the black bars begin. With so much of the television I watch now produced in a variety of aspect ratios other than 16x9, I can barely tell what is what if I’m watching in a darkened room - I just see the picture. I never thought that I’d own a TV where you couldn’t see black bars but amazingly it’s possible now. That’s making up for the TV itself not being a constant height thing.
I will admit to liking that about my Hisense QLED. The active dimming makes a huge difference on black levels with minimal blooming, with it only really visible off angle.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
If the movie is engaging enough, it only takes me a few minutes at most for the black bars to escape my notice.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My TV is nothing hugely special - a TCL Series 6, the top quality line that the budget manufacturer offers. The black levels on it blow me away, and with the bezel around it being practically non-existent, if I have the lights in the room off I can’t tell where the TV frame ends and where the black bars begin. With so much of the television I watch now produced in a variety of aspect ratios other than 16x9, I can barely tell what is what if I’m watching in a darkened room - I just see the picture. I never thought that I’d own a TV where you couldn’t see black bars but amazingly it’s possible now. That’s making up for the TV itself not being a constant height thing.
Local dimming is a wonderful thing. My 4K display is similarly modest; I have a Hisense 55" Q7 series QLED with local dimming.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I've been pondering a CIH setup in my next home we are preparing to build. I love the cinematic feel of a true CIH screen setup, but it will require me to go acoustically transparent and put the speakers behind the screen if I want to do it right.

Interestingly enough, on the topic of AR in broadcast content, my wife and I watch a fair bit of Anime, and I've noticed quite a few of these shows switching to a 2.35:1 AR mid-show for scenes that they want to feel more cinematic. Unfortunately, even if I had a CIH setup, I wouldn't waste time adjusting lens memory for a 30 second sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks