What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Who owns the rights to Lassie and The Littlest Hobbo (60s version) ? (1 Viewer)

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
These were two shows that I used to enjoy watching. Both series have seen some episodes released on DVD - but not all of them. Does anyone know who holds the rights to these two series and whether there is any chance of a DVD release of all the episodes? Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm not sure about this , but I think Littlest Hobo is public domain in the USA. I know VCI put out some episodes a while back and promised more.

I believe Lassie is owned by Sony - Classic Media who put out a nice anniversary box set, but "dropped the ball" on season sets . What they did release was sort of haphazard.

I'd like to see complete releases on both shows, but it's anyone's guess if that will happen.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Whenever I have seen captures of Lassie from broadcast in syndication it has the Classic Media logo so they apparently have syndication rights.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Lou,

The only thing nice about the Lassie 50th Anniversary DVD set was the included booklet.

While the episodes themselves were well chosen, the picture quality was sub par.

Just a lazy repackaging of unrestored episodes by Sony/Classic Media.

On the other hand, the episodes I've seen of The Littlest Hobo were much better and VCI even tracked down a color episode.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Sky King said:
Lou,

The only thing nice about the Lassie 50th Anniversary DVD set was the included booklet.

While the episodes themselves were well chosen, the picture quality was sub par.

Just a lazy repackaging of unrestored episodes by Sony/Classic Media.

On the other hand, the episodes I've seen of The Littlest Hobo were much better and VCI even tracked down a color episode.
Re. Lassie , I was basing my description mostly on the episode selection which followed a nice chronological history of the show. What I was really hoping for on Lassie was season sets of the Jeff and Timmy years , and possibly beyond .I agree with you that the show should be completely re mastered , but I wonder that Sony cares enough about the show to do that at this point in time

Re. Littlest Hobo, I do agree with you that the prints VCI used were of good quality, but I was a little disappointed that they never released Vol.2

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
I believe SabuCat Productions (who also helped stage the 3d festivals at the Egyptin as recently as 2013) owns the Littlest Hobo. I for one would like all of the episodes and treasure the VCI disc I own which was sntached up after a Netflix rental.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I don't know what's more criminal, Classic Media/Dreamworks stingy releases of their "Best of Lassie" sets (Which are heavily edited) or having to resort to "Alternate Sources" to acquire uncut episodes (Yup! I said UNCUT, the set I have was recorded off a Canadian TV Station (Their little "Maple Leaf" Rating gives this away :biggrin: ) of this show. :(

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Regulus said:
I don't know what's more criminal, Classic Media/Dreamworks stingy releases of their "Best of Lassie" sets (Which are heavily edited) or having to resort to "Alternate Sources" to acquire uncut episodes (Yup! I said UNCUT, the set I have was recorded off a Canadian TV Station (Their little "Maple Leaf" Rating gives this away :biggrin: ) of this show. :(

I don't consider trading or having a contact record something that's airing to be alternate sources. That's why we build our contacts in the collecting community.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks