What's new
World Wide Stereo

Will any 4k player produce the same picture if the processing is in the display? (1 Viewer)

Andrew_A

Auditioning
Hello,
I have a LG OLED B6 65" display. I currently have the Oppo BDP-83 and my 1080p bluray discs look great. I know the upscaling is happening in the TV. To play UHD discs I need a new player, but does it matter which one if the TV is processing the signal? I am taking into consideration new audio formats of course.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You LG is a native 4K display. That means it displays everything in 4K. If the signal being provided is 4K already, there is no upscaling/processing happening on the display -- that only occurs for video signals of lower resolutions, such as 1080p, 1080i, 480p, etc.

So, any 4K UHD discs played via a UHD player will have the video completely processed by the player, not your display. For BDs or DVDs, you have the choice as to whether the player or your display upscales the video. In my particular case, I have a Vizio M70-D3 display, Sony X800 UHD player, Panasonic BD player and Oppo 980H DVD player. I let the Sony upscale BD and DVD content, as it does just as good a job with 1080p BDs as the Vizio display, but does a better job with DVDs than either the Vizio or performing dual upconverting via the Oppo (Oppo upconverting to 1080p, and then Vizio to 2160p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks