What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Windows Media Player won't open (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
It's been happening on and off for ages, but it's decided to go crazy tonight. I rebooted my computer, opened up Media Player, and it won't even show me half of my music. I close it down and it won't reopen. I rebooted and it does the same thing again. No matter how many times I click the icon, it won't open.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It's been happening on and off for ages, but it's decided to go crazy tonight. I rebooted my computer, opened up Media Player, and it won't even show me half of my music. I close it down and it won't reopen. I rebooted and it does the same thing again. No matter how many times I click the icon, it won't open.
Go to Control Panel > Programs & Features. To the left, select "Turn Windows Features on/off." Scroll down to Media Features and disable WMP. Restart the computer and repeat the above procedure, this time turning on WMP.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Go to Control Panel > Programs & Features. To the left, select "Turn Windows Features on/off." Scroll down to Media Features and disable WMP. Restart the computer and repeat the above procedure, this time turning on WMP.
I'll keep that in mind the next time. It literally decided to come up about 2 minutes after I posted. I think I'll eventually look for another program to fulfill my needs (I have literally almost 30,000 songs on the computer). I have Media Monkey which is "okay," but not exactly what I have in mind. Thanks.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'll keep that in mind the next time. It literally decided to come up about 2 minutes after I posted. I think I'll eventually look for another program to fulfill my needs (I have literally almost 30,000 songs on the computer). I have Media Monkey which is "okay," but not exactly what I have in mind. Thanks.
Remember WMC is deprecated as of Windows 10. If you're serious about audio I would suggest taking a look at JRiver. You get what you pay for.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I think I'll eventually look for another program to fulfill my needs (I have literally almost 30,000 songs on the computer).
I have a lot of music on hard drive as well. WMP always hangs up or crashes on me when I first open it. I think it's constantly trying to update the media library. The more music you have the longer the process. I can't do anything for several minutes. I've pretty much given up on it.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Remember WMC is deprecated as of Windows 10. If you're serious about audio I would suggest taking a look at JRiver. You get what you pay for.
I was suggested JRiver by someone else as well. I'll certainly look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks