What's new

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ordered... (thanks for thinking of me)

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 9.15.23 AM.png

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Well, I am now regretting not having spent ~$500 to fix the display’s pealing outer layer on my 2013 MacBook Pro and hung on it for 18 more months. I could have gotten an 8TB SSD, superb speakers and a more reliable/better keyboard for a similar price to what I spent for the 4TB 2018 MacBook Pro. Yes, better CPU/GPU and display as well...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of SSD size potential, are they really going to release the MacPro with both a smaller base and max capacity??

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think at $2399 I may have my work buy one for the office for me, so I no longer have to bring mine to and from work (since I ride to work this will reduce the amount of "sweaty back" syndrome from having to carry the laptop and a change of shirts in my backpack).

In a couple of months I should be able to see first hand if I can discern a major difference between this and my 2015 MBP in all but the most intensive tasks. Since it will be a work computer I obviously won't be able to install Pro Tools and Logic on it, but I'll have the full Office suite, work productivity programs, and obviously browsers. As Dave (and I...if you read my earlier posts before the order of magnitude discussion) have been saying, I don't expect that for common tasks, it will be a "wow" difference which is why I've stayed with my 2015 model even though I do use it for PT and LP.

But I sure am glad they got rid of that lame keyboard. I used a 2018 13" MBP work loaner and by the end of it I wanted to rip all of the keys off of that thing and throw them in a dumpster. And then set that dumpster on fire.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And...it appears the iPad Pro refresh is definitely not happening in 2019. I'm waiting until 2020 for an iPad upgrade, it appears.

Enjoy the MBP 16" those of you who are into laptops :)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If I had $3k just lying around, I would upgrade. As it is, I’ll keep on using my 7 year old MacBook Pro and hope I get WAF approval for a Mac Mini in the spring. I still want to buy a QNAP and make a full-on media server.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I was starting new today, I’d probably get the base configuration 16”.

But I needed a computer in July and got a 2018 refurb in the 15” model, and not feeling even a hint of buyer’s remorse. And the savings between the new and refurbished models paid for the computer that now runs my HTPC server. It was a big deal for me not to get or wait for the newest and greatest but it worked out pretty well.

That said, hopefully they keep the 16” size (or bring back 17”) in a few years when it’s time to get something new again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“Mark Gurman on Twitter: "Also notable that this 16-inch MBP is running the same Intel parts as the previous update 6 months ago and WiFi 5 versus WiFi 6 on the new iPhones. Very easy to believe this will be updated again within 6-9 months alongside the 13-inch and the Air getting the new keyboards."”

https://twitter.com/markgurman/status/1194737186412863489?s=12

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks