What's new
World Wide Stereo

Yamaha RX-V385 no video on AV2 or AV3 (1 Viewer)

Paul Scannell

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
I have a Phillips VCR/CD device connected to my AVx input. I can't get the video portion to work. I have tried both AV2 and AV3 using different RCA cables.

Anyone have an idea why?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

728x90

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
So Phillips VCR/CD --YRW cables--> Yamaha -> YRW cables TV, and no other connections?
If so, have you tried to manually change your TV to the analog input? Some TVs don't auto scan the input?
It couldn't to know your TV make/model too.

Paul Scannell

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
The VCR isn't the only thing connected. I have an HDMI Roku as well as an HDMI cable setup box.

The TV is a Samsung.

I'm not sure about the scanning issue you are referring about, but maybe there is something about the digital/analog you mentioned. Is there a way to force an analog video to come out?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If the receiver is connected to the TV via RCA cables, how are you able to see the Roku on the TV? What input on the TV are you using?

I ask all this because that particular Yamaha model is not capable of analog to digital conversion and vice versa.

Paul Scannell

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
My TV input is HDMI coming from the Yamaha. HDMI 1 is the cable. HDMI 2 has my Roku. AV 3 has the RCA cable from the VCR/DVD player.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
As I said earlier, the RX-V385 is not capable of upconverting the analog video from the VCR and transmit to your TV over HDMI.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
"As I said earlier, the RX-V385 is not capable of upconverting the analog video from the VCR and transmit to your TV over HDMI."
The OP said he has both the Yamaha digital and analog connected to the TV.

"The TV is a Samsung."
Need a model number. But the idea is to go into the TV menu and manually switch to the analog input.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You basically have three options:

1. Connect the Yellow/Red/White RCA outputs from the VCR to AV2 on the Yamaha. Run a Yellow RCA from Monitor Out on the Yamaha to the Analog Video In on the TV. On the TV will either by a Green RCA with a Yellow Ring or Samsung provided a special cable that looks like a mini headphone jack at one end and up to five RCA plugs on the other end (Red/Blue/Green and Red/White). The mini jack plugs into the TV (should be designated as something like Analog Input or similar). To watch the VCR, you will need to select AV2 on the Yamaha and Analog Video (or simply Video) on the TV.

2. Similar to above, except connect only the Red and White audio outputs from the VCR to AV2 on the Yamaha, and run the Yellow video output from the VCR to the TV. To watch the VCR, you will need to select AV2 on the Yamaha and Analog Video (or simply Video) on the TV.

3. Purchase an RCA to HDMI converter. Make sure this is RCA to HDMI and not the other way around. There are several to choose from on Amazon, all with varying degrees of success and ranging in price from $10 to hundreds of dollars. Simply connect the Yellow/Red/White RCA outputs from the VCR to the same colored RCA inputs on the converter, then connect an HDMI from the converter to one of the Yamaha's HDMI inputs. This will allow you to use the Yamaha as the switcher, eliminating the need to change the video input on the TV.

Paul Scannell

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for that reply. I didn't know that you could get RCA-HDMI converters. I ordered one from Amazon. You are a godsend!!

Paul Scannell

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
One more thing. There is the need for a USB cable to provide power for it. There is a USB port on my TV. Should that be good enough for it? Or do I need one of those charging cables like used for cell phones?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If the adapter does not come with one, I would use a USB power adapter rather than the one on the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmdexcavation
Recent bookmarks