What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Zack Snyder’s Justice League could have easily been simple fan service, but director Snyder delivers in providing a much more cohesive storyline (with a 4-hour running time) than the previous maligned 2017 theatrical release.

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)

Released: 18 Mar 2021
Rated: R
Runtime: 242 min

Director: Zack Snyder
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Cast: Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot
Writer(s): Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Zack Snyder

Plot: Determined to ensure Superman's ultimate sacrifice was not in vain, Bruce Wayne aligns forces with Diana Prince with plans to recruit a team of metahumans to protect the world from an approaching threat of catastrophic proportions.

IMDB rating: 8.1
MetaScore: 54

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nice review, Todd!

I find myself disagreeing about Leto‘s cameo - it’s my favorite moment in the film (a surprise, since I didn’t enjoy his other outing in the part), and it previews what to me would have been a more exciting story than the one this film primarily tells.

The two hour theatrical version sadly isn’t any good, despite the wealth of talent and budget at its disposal. I do think this version is too long - Snyder’s pacing here is a lot slower than that of his director’s cut of Batman V Superman. Had he paced this cut to match the choices he made in his previous installment, I think it could have run about 30-45 minutes shorter while feeling a lot more alive.

For me this isn’t the home run its director was trying to hit but it is an ambitious project that is to be commended for that ambition.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I forgot to mention in my review that I doubt, had Snyder not walked away from the film back in 2017, that this would be his theatrical release, but inevitably the "Director's Cut" or "Special Edition" home video release.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just watched the BD edition of this late last week, and found it to be a better technical presentation than the HD stream from HBO Max.

Even though I find a lot of little things in the film to be self-indulgent and inconsistent with the style Snyder established in Man of Steel and the longer version of Batman V Superman, I found that I enjoyed it even more than when I saw it on HBO Max. It’s a big, sprawling, sometimes messy experience, filled with outsized emotions that played exceptionally well as a solo viewing experience. Watching this on a 120” screen but with headphones on (so I could keep the volume way up without waking the house), it was both a larger than life and extraordinarily intimate experience simultaneously.

I truly love the scene with Affleck’s Batman and Leto’s Joker trading barbs at the end of the world. Leto’s line about “we can discuss…why you sent a boy wonder to do a man’s job” hints at a dark undertone to the merits of a billionaire vigilante recruiting a child, and the suggestion of these two adversaries having to work together when all else has been lost is a movie I would have loved to have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks