What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Do you buy pre-2010 blu-rays? (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I was wondering, now that the format has been in the market for more than 15 years, do you buy early blu-rays?
Or are you waiting for updated versions or UHDs?
There are many early blu-rays* of beloved films I haven't bought yet, and I I don't know if I should still wait or take the plunge and just buy them...
Many of them have the ancient codecs of VC-1 or MPEG-2 and/or lossy audio tracks.

* E.g. Quo Vadis, The Robe, Pearl Harbor, Immortal Beloved, Pretty Woman, The Towering Inferno, Midnight Express, The Adventures of Robin Hood etc.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Agreed, wait, and they go out of print and then have to pony up prices that can be down right scary!!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't really see the point in waiting for upgraded versions at this point in time. The number of double dips on the Blu-ray format now seems negligible to me. I feel like most catalog titles have already gotten the Blu-ray release that they're going to get. Unless a studio has already announced a double dip will be coming, yes, I would buy something regardless of what year it came out.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Great question that we all consider. If you don't know it's 4K release yet, then I'd say yes buy the best blu-ray version you like if it's before 2010 or not.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I bought all the titles on the list (except Pretty Woman and Midnight Express) when they came out. I still watch them.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I will discover a new (to me) filmmaker or artist and I'll mine their earlier oeuvre via BD; which can include pre-2010 BD releases. While older releases have sometimes been supplanted by newer ones, I tend to not wait if the title holds my interest.

- Walter.

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
So, I think the general consensus is that I should just give in and buy whatever film I like, early blu-ray or not. :D
I think the people that still actively purchase physical media are a very diverse group; at least on this forum it seems the participants are all across the spectrum. Certainly you can go on some other forums where the users just focus on a single item or brand (for example: some people ONLY purchase Ultra-4K; some ONLY focus on Criterion releases; or I remember a few months back seeing a photo of a Kino-Lorber collection which must have had at least 1,000 titles on the shelves.

In my opinion, to each their own, every physical purchase we each make (whether DVD, Blue-Ray, or Ultra-4K) helps to keep this hobby alive and the flow of more releases coming.

In the last month I've purchased all (3) types, from box sets of 60s/70s TV shows on DVD (Get Smart and Emergency!) that I don't see upgrades coming for (though I'd buy them); to a group of Warner Archives Blu-Rays from the recent Moviezyng sale (from 1948's The Boy with Green Hair to 1968's The Stalking Moon) to a few Ultra-4k's from Target's recent B2G1 sale (To Kill a Mockingbird and Inglourious Basterds). Plus I'm expecting a nice box of Blu-Rays (and only Blu-Rays) arriving this week from the recent Kino-Lorber spring sale.

But yes if you're really interested in a specific title right now, find the best version available for the money you're willing to pay and go get it; and remember if we want new titles to keep appearing we need people to keep buying DVDs and Blu-Rays as well as Ultra 4ks.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I agree with the others, I'm a film fan, not a tech head. Some of those early releases will get a rerelease, new transfer, maybe 4K, but most of them won't. It's a dying format*, if a favourite film is available (from anywhere), buy it. :)

*"The overall video disc market is declining by 20% to 25% annually since a few years. Effectively, the market for 4K HDR content on physical media is stable, thanks in part to a constant flow of new titles".

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Same here - year of manufacture makes no difference if it's a title I want and there's no better transfer (or the better one is priced higher than I'm willing to pay). More often than not a BR is an upgrade, though sometimes a negligible upgrade, over the DVD of the same title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks