What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

HBO Max HBO Max (Official Thread) (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
No mention if linear HBO subscribers will continue to receive MAX as part of their linear subscription. I assume so and that it will be the middle commercial free tier. Will they charge $5 additional if you want the higher tier with 4K ? Has streaming up to 4 devices stimulatingly not been possible on HBOMAX? They are keeping the standalone Discovery streaming service because people were upset they would have to pay more to get their programs. I don't see how the new MAX will attract anymore subscribers by rebranding. They have removed lots of content that current subscribers wanted and added content that is cheaper elsewhere.
Considering the monthly price for HBO is the same as what they're charging for 4k, giving subs the middle is less of a tier and more of a finger.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Considering the monthly price for HBO is the same as what they're charging for 4k, giving subs the middle is less of a tier and more of a finger.
I would think they're giving us HBO customers the 4K tier, otherwise, they're really going to piss off people and this subscription service will again be a failure.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realize they increased the cost of HBO to $20 . I should check my bill more closely. In that case I agree Max should be the 4K version for HBO subscribers.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I didn't realize they increased the cost of HBO to $20 . I should check my bill more closely. In that case I agree Max should be the 4K version for HBO subscribers.
On DirecTV its usually over $20 dollars after tax and various fees.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I would think they're giving us HBO customers the 4K tier, otherwise, they're really going to piss off people and this subscription service will again be a failure.
Its is already kind of a ripoff as HBO Max has very little 4k content to justify the upcharge at the present time.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I guess I can't complain much since I get HBO Max for free through my AT&T Fiber service but, I hate these services moving to quality-based tiers. It's a complete joke in 2023 to pay $16 and only get 1080p. I guess they looked at Netflix and said, "let's copy their crappy tiers".

My next question is will Max continue to be included with my AT&T Fiber service. I'm grandfathered in right now. Last year AT&T introduced a slightly changed pricing structure for their fiber plans but, if you switched you would lose HBO Max. I hope it continues to be included because I'm not paying for another service. If that happens, we may finally drop Netflix because we watch HBO Max more than Netflix.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I have HBO and never used HBO Max. Do I have access to Max?​

If you get HBO with your cable or satellite TV package, you may have access to Max at no extra cost. To find out if your TV provider will support Max, go to Ways to get Max.

Max will be available through the providers below. Check back soon for the full list.

AT&T​

Cox​

Cricket​

DIRECTV​

Dish​

Hulu​

Optimum​

Prime Video Channels​

Spectrum​

Verizon​

Xfinity​

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

If you get HBO with your cable or satellite TV package, you may have access to Max at no extra cost. To find out if your TV provider will support Max, go to Ways to get Max.

Max will be available through the providers below. Check back soon for the full list.

AT&T​

Cox​

Cricket​

DIRECTV​

Dish​

Hulu​

Optimum​

Prime Video Channels​

Spectrum​

Verizon​

Xfinity​

Yeah but what tier Max?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’m on the ad-free tier and there isn’t enough content for me to upgrade to the ultimate (or whatever they end up calling it) tier for an additional $5/mo. I’ll keep what I have for now.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

AT&T​

Cox​

Cricket​

DIRECTV​

Dish​

Hulu​

Optimum​

Prime Video Channels​

Spectrum​

Verizon​

Xfinity​

We get HBO through the cable company (HTC) that's included with our HOA dues at our South Carolina condo. Unfortunately, I was never able to get HBO Max using my HTC account credentials. I am not expecting things to change with this new service. I subscribed for a year beginning last autumn via a double deal offer from HBO and American Express, but don't think I will be renewing it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I’m on the ad-free tier and there isn’t enough content for me to upgrade to the ultimate (or whatever they end up calling it) tier for an additional $5/mo. I’ll keep what I have for now.
Right now, the ad-free tier for HBO Max includes the 4K content.

But yeah, for Max I'll go with the mid-tier that's 1080P only. That's what I do for Netflix, and it's "good enough". For the content that I really care about in 4K, I'll usually buy either the UHD disc or a digital copy.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
It's funny that they are going to keep the Discovery+ service up and running because they did not want to hit subs of that service, who do not care about HBO content, with a huge price increase. Why not offer HBO fans who don't care for Discovery content a similar option? Maybe an option that includes 4K at no additional cost but, minus the Discovery "reality" junk.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
My deeply discounted annual subs promo will end come mid-Sept. No idea yet if they'll drop my current, prepaid service to the more limited, non-4K tier, but either way, I'll just switch to only reactivating for a month or two each year to binge on the very little (and dwindling) content of interest they'll have on there -- maybe I'll do that in the 4K tier, if there's actually enough in 4K, or probably not.

As I've said in the past, I'd do the same for NetFlix too (just as I do for most any other such service, except The Criterion Channel and probably Disney+, if not for such promo discounts), except my family does (still) like/use NF enough (so far) to just keep it year-round despite the price hikes... although not quite enough to go w/ their top tier.

_Man_

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The new service will offer three tiers of service.

• Max Ad-Lite | $9.99/month or $99.99/year
    2 concurrent streams, 1080p resolution, no offline downloads, 5.1 surround sound quality
  • Max Ad Free | $15.99/month or $149.99/year
    2 concurrent streams, 1080 resolution, 30 offline downloads, 5.1 surround sound quality
  • Max Ultimate Ad Free | $19.99/month or $199.99/year
    4 concurrent streams, up to 4K UHD resolution, 100 offline downloads, Dolby Atmos sound quality
Existing HBO Max subscribers will have access to Max at the same price as their HBO Max subscription and can visit http://help.hbomax.com/introducingMax to find out more. Additionally, HBO Max subscribers will still have access to their current plan features for a minimum of six months following launch. HBO Max subscribers’ profiles, settings, watch history, “Continue Watching,” and “My List” items will also migrate to Max so they can pick up streaming right where they left off.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but what tier Max?
Exactly. The HBOMAX/MAX website gives you a chance to enter your provider if you are an HBO linear subscriber who gets access to HBOMAX as part of your HBO service . It tells you if you will have access to MAX but it doesn't tell you which tier.

Click on "Guided Walkthrough of MAX" to get where you can find out what happens to HBO subscribers' access to MAX.

It doesn't appear that any current subscribers will automatically get the highest tier, at least that is my reading of the following which applies to HBOMAX subscribers and not HBO cable subscribers. It says you keep your current HBOMAX plan which is ether with commercials or not. Plus they are introducing a new plan for more money.

Will there be any price or plan changes for current subscribers?
If you subscribe to HBO Max through an app store or directly through us (at HBOMax.com), there won't be any changes to your subscription price at this time. The Max plan prices are the same as HBO Max:
  • With Ads: $9.99/month or $99.99/year (16% savings)
  • Ad-Free: $15.99/month or $149.99/year (over 20% savings)
If you subscribe through a TV, mobile, or wireless provider, your provider will let you know of any price or plan changes.
Additionally, we are introducing a new plan tier.
  • Ultimate Ad-Free: $19.99/month or $199.99/year (over 16% savings)
    • Stream in 4K UHD and Dolby Atmos (as available)
    • Stream on 4 devices at once
    • Up to 100 offline downloads across devices
      *Ultimate Ad-Free downloads may include restrictions in certain content categories
Current HBO Max subscribers will keep their existing HBO Max plan features for at least 6 months after Max launches.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale