What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Show Off Your Pics (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Here's a few more I shot with conventional lenses the other day. I stepped up the approach, because the Nikkor Z 14-30mm lens that's the most useful for this doesn't focus quite as close as I need, even though it can focus incredibly close. So I got a set of close-up filters for it and now I can shoot any way I want.

I want to add that mirrorless cameras are absolutely ideal for this type of subject. First, you have great live view, since that's the way mirrorless cameras work anyway. I mean, there is absolutely no way to look through a viewfinder with this stuff. Plus, electronic shutter essentially eliminates any camera vibration, which I make a point to use with these. Yes, you can lock up the mirror on a DSLR, but you still have a mechanical shutter, which can't be avoided with them. So, I use the lowest ISO, which is 64 on the Z7ii, and have a long exposure. On the pinhole shots, I went ahead and cranked it up to 800 because the exposure would have been over a minute.

These are all focus stacked, BTW. Not the pinhole ones, of course.

View attachment 180683

View attachment 180684

View attachment 180685

View attachment 180686

View attachment 180687

View attachment 180688
As someone who is a neon/ghost sign fanatic I’m LOVING this!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few gator shots from Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina this morning, using my recently acquired Canon RF 800mm f/11 lens. I posted some other photos in the birds thread.

MK6A1385-X4.jpg

MK6A1386-X4.jpg

MK6A1396-X4.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The stress filled life of a cat.

I'm amazed by the dynamic range of current cameras. This is my Nikon Z7ii, with direct sunlight from behind. It was extremely harsh light, but I still didn't need to crank it quite to the limit to retrieve this.

Duke.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My first time photographing flowers with my new Nikon Z7ii.

All I can say is, it absolutely blows the doors off the D500 in terms of raw image quality. The dynamic range and color is astounding! I mean, holy crap. Plus, no, this is not a macro lens. It's the Nikkor Z 24-120mm f/4 S. I had my Sigma 150mm f/2.8 OS macro with me, but had it on the IR converted Z5.

This is from my mother's rose garden, which has pretty much been unattended for a few years now, and next year the house will belong to someone else. We've had a historic amount of rain this year, and the roses love it.

Now that I see the final sRGB 8bit version, I think I dropped the shadows just a little too much. There are other roses in the background, which are further down than they were in the Adobe RGB, 16 bit editing version. Raising the black level just 2 units should do the trick.

_NZ71046crop1.2K.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Getting funky with some infrared. Tomorrow this pic will probably make me want to hurl, but we'll see.

This is with a 590nm IR converted Nikon Z5 and a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro.

_NZ50430-E-NR1.2K.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My first time photographing flowers with my new Nikon Z7ii.

All I can say is, it absolutely blows the doors off the D500 in terms of raw image quality. The dynamic range and color is astounding! I mean, holy crap. Plus, no, this is not a macro lens. It's the Nikkor Z 24-120mm f/4 S. I had my Sigma 150mm f/2.8 OS macro with me, but had it on the IR converted Z5.

This is from my mother's rose garden, which has pretty much been unattended for a few years now, and next year the house will belong to someone else. We've had a historic amount of rain this year, and the roses love it.

Now that I see the final sRGB 8bit version, I think I dropped the shadows just a little too much. There are other roses in the background, which are further down than they were in the Adobe RGB, 16 bit editing version. Raising the black level just 2 units should do the trick.

View attachment 189050
I like this version, John. Leaving the other background roses in the dark really isolates the rose and makes it stand out. It should be the focal point of the photo, and the dark background makes it work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I like this version, John. Leaving the other background roses in the dark really isolates the rose and makes it stand out. It should be the focal point of the photo, and the dark background makes it work.
This is actually the modified version. I replaced the one I originally posted. Part of the problem is all the white around the image on the forum makes the dark roses gets lost. I just like seeing a hint of the roses in the background, but don't want them light enough to be distracting. I might do alternate versions and see what I like best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale