What's new

Things that baffle you? (2 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So the other day, I turned on the TV part-way through a local station program called New Hampshire Chronicle, which was in the middle of a story about the artist Robert Childress, who did illustrations for the "Dick & Jane" children's books in the 1950s.

The baffling part was that every time -- and I mean every time -- anyone said the phrase "Dick and Jane", the closed captions said "-- and Jane". I could only think that the captioning was done with a software application that had been programmed to treat the word "dick" as a naughty word. :rolleyes:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
So the other day, I turned on the TV part-way through a local station program called New Hampshire Chronicle, which was in the middle of a story about the artist Robert Childress, who did illustrations for the "Dick & Jane" children's books in the 1950s.

The baffling part was that every time -- and I mean every time -- anyone said the phrase "Dick and Jane", the closed captions said "-- and Jane". I could only think that the captioning was done with a software application that had been programmed to treat the word "dick" as a naughty word. :rolleyes:

I'll lay you 50-1 odds that sometime in the future, if the original Pyramid game shows with Dick Clark are rerun again, and the announcer's billing of Clark is subtitled, it'll say "Your host is -- Clark," or some such nonsense.

SwatDB

Second Unit
Real Name
David Brynskov
Which of these Film Studios have enough Restoration/Remastering Interest/Budget (release or license for 4K UHD or BD) in recent times:

Major Studios:

Universal Pictures (Partially with Kino Lorber and Shout! Studios)
Paramount Pictures (Partially with Kino Lorber and Shout! Studios)
United Artists [It depends since we live in the Post-April 1986 Era of MGM (currently residing at Warner Bros. Home Entertainment),with Rocky films in 4K UHD out of the way, which sublicensor, do you think they are gonna give Pink Panther films 1963-1982 on 4K UHD to?]
Warner Bros. Pictures (Not only are they cautious about what titles are possible to release, but also are keen to keep an eye how good the profit a release has been or how much remastering budget they have thanks to our attention of releases [for me I have kept that in mind since the Last release of LT: Platinum Collection Vol. 3 [due to poor sales of PC: Vol. 2])
Columbia Pictures (Although a handful of their titles are released by Sony Pictures (since I believe they go second place on having heart on restoring or remastering titles (Feature or short). However some of titles , Powerhouse Films and Mill Creek Entertainment (please help me out) have deal with the current caretakers)

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (now a Mini-Major since Post-April 1986:
Kerkorian = UA
Turner [Warner] = Pre-May 1986)

RKO Radio Pictures (Partially owned by Turner, Disney and Universal?)
20th Century-Fox/Century Fox (owned by Disney since 2019/2020, Disney+ have a handful of new/recent transfers that the studio did before the mouse bought them, and have since been remained unreleased to 4K UHD/Remastered BD

Mini-Majors:

Buena Vista/Disney (Conglomerate? Major. Studio in General? For me are they a Mini-Major)
New Line Cinema (Shout! Studios, at times)
The Cannon Group (Vinegar Syndrome [since they have (as I understand it), a minor deal with MGM] Shout! Studios and Kino Lorber [though they have not renewed new deals with MGM)
New World Pictures (Scorpion Releasing, Arrow [since a 4K UHD of Heathers is announced] or anyone ? [be happy to elaborate])
Orion Pictures (Shout! Studios [same as Cannon?] Vinegar Syndrome [since they have (as I understand it), a minor deal with MGM] and Kino Lorber [though Kino have not acquired any new deals with MGM)

Long story, short:

Will the forum posters please make a tier ranking (from A to E) on categories: 1: Interest or 2: Money with regards to releasing of remastered presentations Home Video to clear up any baffling on what studios are tackling depend on Money or Interesting releasing a remastered presentation on Home Video previously exclusive to Digital/Streaming.

Thank you and Good Luck :)

The images below written by Mr. Harris and Mr. K demonstrate the current situation of the Post-April 1986 Era of MGM's releasing and licensing films on Home Video:

Attachments

• IMG_7161.jpeg
    IMG_7161.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7066.jpeg
    IMG_7066.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
It baffles me that there are so many inconsiderate and selfish people around us. My commutes to and from work can be Hell sometimes and that's just from sitting in a bus minding my own business. Three dudes decided to engage in boisterous conversation complete with loud belly laughs - at 6:30 in the morning! This went on for 95% of the bus ride. Another time a young girl pulls out her phone and thought it was OK to watch footage of a house party at max volume. Why doesn't anybody say anything? Me? I have to keep my blood pressure under control so I can't get involved in confrontations but, boy, if I were younger I would all up in people's faces. People today are so passive and just let things go too quickly.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just had a baffling conversation with the customer I was delivering to. Dispatch told me to be here at 11:00. I got here just after 10:00. The directions to get here are just not suitable for a full length/width tractor trailer, and there is no room here. One of the bosses told me that he told a previous driver that they don’t want deliveries before 13:00, and he asked that driver to inform dispatch. Either the driver failed to notify, or dispatch just didn’t listen. Unlike the horrible experience I had with a customer last week, these guys were polite.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It baffles me that there are so many inconsiderate and selfish people around us. My commutes to and from work can be Hell sometimes and that's just from sitting in a bus minding my own business. Three dudes decided to engage in boisterous conversation complete with loud belly laughs - at 6:30 in the morning! This went on for 95% of the bus ride. Another time a young girl pulls out her phone and thought it was OK to watch footage of a house party at max volume. Why doesn't anybody say anything? Me? I have to keep my blood pressure under control so I can't get involved in confrontations but, boy, if I were younger I would all up in people's faces. People today are so passive and just let things go too quickly.

I definitely agree, and albeit I acknowledge it shouldn't be said here, it would also be hellish for me if I had to go to work on a bus, and several of the riders were having loud political conversations.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Why doesn't anybody say anything? Me? I have to keep my blood pressure under control so I can't get involved in confrontations but, boy, if I were younger I would all up in people's faces. People today are so passive and just let things go too quickly.

You might think that it's just people being too passive, but it's just as likely (if not moreso) that people just don't think it's worth the aggravation to get into a yelling match with some random asshole.

I also suspect that in these days, part of it is that if you confront someone like that, there's enough of a worrying chance that that person will pull out a gun and shoot you.

SwatDB

Second Unit
Real Name
David Brynskov
Which of these Film Studios have enough Restoration/Remastering Interest/Budget (release or license for 4K UHD or BD) in recent times:

Major Studios:

Universal Pictures (Partially with Kino Lorber and Shout! Studios)
Paramount Pictures (Partially with Kino Lorber and Shout! Studios)
United Artists [It depends since we live in the Post-April 1986 Era of MGM (currently residing at Warner Bros. Home Entertainment),with Rocky films in 4K UHD out of the way, which sublicensor, do you think they are gonna give Pink Panther films 1963-1982 on 4K UHD to?]
Warner Bros. Pictures (Not only are they cautious about what titles are possible to release, but also are keen to keep an eye how good the profit a release has been or how much remastering budget they have thanks to our attention of releases [for me I have kept that in mind since the Last release of LT: Platinum Collection Vol. 3 [due to poor sales of PC: Vol. 2])
Columbia Pictures (Although a handful of their titles are released by Sony Pictures (since I believe they go second place on having heart on restoring or remastering titles (Feature or short). However some of titles , Powerhouse Films and Mill Creek Entertainment (please help me out) have deal with the current caretakers)

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (now a Mini-Major since Post-April 1986:
Kerkorian = UA
Turner [Warner] = Pre-May 1986)

RKO Radio Pictures (Partially owned by Turner, Disney and Universal?)
20th Century-Fox/Century Fox (owned by Disney since 2019/2020, Disney+ have a handful of new/recent transfers that the studio did before the mouse bought them, and have since been remained unreleased to 4K UHD/Remastered BD

Mini-Majors:

Buena Vista/Disney (Conglomerate? Major. Studio in General? For me are they a Mini-Major)
New Line Cinema (Shout! Studios, at times)
The Cannon Group (Vinegar Syndrome [since they have (as I understand it), a minor deal with MGM] Shout! Studios and Kino Lorber [though they have not renewed new deals with MGM)
New World Pictures (Scorpion Releasing, Arrow [since a 4K UHD of Heathers is announced] or anyone ? [be happy to elaborate])
Orion Pictures (Shout! Studios [same as Cannon?] Vinegar Syndrome [since they have (as I understand it), a minor deal with MGM] and Kino Lorber [though Kino have not acquired any new deals with MGM)

Long story, short:

Will the forum posters please make a tier ranking (from A to E) on categories: 1: Interest or 2: Money with regards to releasing of remastered presentations Home Video to clear up any baffling on what studios are tackling depend on Money or Interesting releasing a remastered presentation on Home Video previously exclusive to Digital/Streaming.

Thank you and Good Luck :)

The images below written by Mr. Harris and Mr. K demonstrate the current situation of the Post-April 1986 Era of MGM's releasing and licensing films on Home Video:
Does that seem like an interesting and a baffling question to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slp22
Recent bookmarks