JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Canon announced three new lenses, including the RF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-6.3 IS that I have been awaiting for a UWA solution for my R10 crop body. The lens is quite a bit smaller than the old EF-S 10-18mm and is fairly inexpensive ($329), which works well for me. I plan on picking one up soon. This should complete my mirrorless lens lineup for the foreseeable future.

Canon also announced a RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS and RF 24-105mm f/2.8 L IS lens. The 200-800 is interesting, but at 4.5 lbs. and $1,900 is not something that works for me. My RF 800mm f/11 IS weighs 2.75 lbs. and cost $900. The RF 100-400 meets my telephoto zoom lens needs in a small, light weight package.
That RF 800mm (and the 600mm) is a brilliant idea for a lens.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
One of those will likely be my next acquisition (though not sure when) and will probably be the 800mm.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That sub-$2K 200-800 sounds interesting, especially since it's about the same weight as the Tamron 150-600 G2 I already have. Not sure I'd really want one though even if Nikon offered at that price... as I don't imagine ever needing longer than 600mm (and probably almost never longer than 500mm either) since I don't really go birding nor shoot (real) wildlife in general...

I lugged my 150-600 upto Cornell/Ithaca and Poughkeepsie w/ me last week instead of a more usual 70-200, and I never actually needed longer than ~200mm for what I ended up shooting up there -- I thought I might sporadically want 300-400mm, if not longer, but I ended up not shooting that long at all... though I almost did...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's a crazy lens. A full frame, rectilinear, 9mm f/5.6. I love to play with ultra wides sometimes, and this one is by far the widest non-fisheye that I know of. Mirrorless only, of course. Nikon, Canon, and Sony.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Crazy fer sure, but how good is it actually though?

Judging by my recent use of my iPhone's ultrawide, seems like 12mm would suit me nicely... although a tad wider might help since I could probably use the extra leeway at times since its use won't be quite as flexible/maneuverable as the iPhone...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
9mm on full frame is really WIIIDDDEEE! Heck, it's wide even on a crop body. May be interesting to play with. It's certainly a lot less expensive than Canon's new RF 10-20mm (for obvious reasons).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
^Crazy fer sure, but how good is it actually though?

Judging by my recent use of my iPhone's ultrawide, seems like 12mm would suit me nicely... although a tad wider might help since I could probably use the extra leeway at times since its use won't be quite as flexible/maneuverable as the iPhone...

_Man_
I have a full-frame fisheye by either that brand or a very similar one, that is the sharpest fisheye I’ve ever seen. I suspect it’s actually extremely good.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
9mm on full frame is really WIIIDDDEEE! Heck, it's wide even on a crop body. May be interesting to play with. It's certainly a lot less expensive than Canon's new RF 10-20mm (for obvious reasons).
I have a full-frame fisheye by either that brand or a very similar one, that is the sharpest fisheye I’ve ever seen. I suspect it’s actually extremely good.

Too bad Nikon seems to have ditched their 1.2x crop mode on mirrorless that was on their semi-pro/pro FF DSLRs. That could be quite handy to use on a 45MP-plus cam (or probably even my Z6) w/ such a crazy wide lens...

_Man_

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sigma 15mm 2.8 EXDG Fisheye I used primarily for Underwater Photography with F Mount bodies but I have used it on occasion topside. On a Nikon Mirrorless body and an FTZ adapter I can control aperture from the camera but need to manually focus.

Many may not care but my personal choice is not to buy anything offered by 7Artisans. Like Leofoto, TCL and Hisense, I’ll gladly pay many times more for products manufactured or at least owned by USA, European, Asian and other countries outside of China. I own yet have regrets even purchasing brands like Apple that are manufactured in China.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-...elligence-leaders-warn-60-minutes-transcript/

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The recent announcement from Sony for the latest A9m3 is intriguing. Well out of my price range, but it will be interesting to see how quickly or even whether global shutter trickles down to non-flagship cameras.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Here's a crazy lens. A full frame, rectilinear, 9mm f/5.6. I love to play with ultra wides sometimes, and this one is by far the widest non-fisheye that I know of. Mirrorless only, of course. Nikon, Canon, and Sony.

No idea if anyone else is getting the same deal, but I'm seeing a $24-off coupon for my account now.

Tempting... though I probably won't have use for it for several months at this point, heh -- could certainly have used it in recent few weeks though...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No idea if anyone else is getting the same deal, but I'm seeing a $24-off coupon for my account now.

Tempting... though I probably won't have use for it for several months at this point, heh -- could certainly have used it in recent few weeks though...

_Man_

Hmmm... on 2nd thought, that lens on my Z6 probably wouldn't have yielded quite enough of what I'd want (over just shooting w/ my iPhone 13 Pro)... :P

I'd probably just end up w/ similar MPs (or a tad less) after cropping to ~12-13mm equiv photo. Yeah, the pixels would likely be better quality, especially around the corners/edges... but probably not quite as huge of an upgrade... Would probably make me wanna upgrade my camera body sooner though, haha...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

_Man_
Specials on those lenses are common. They can be for a lot more than that. I’m hoping for a better deal.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, it turns out there are at least three different FF 9mm f/5.6 lenses available. I put all that I could find in my wishlist, waiting for a special. I preferred the Brightin Star, and it showed up with a $50 off coupon, so it arrived today. I can't tell if the coupon is still valid, since it disappeared once I used it.

It's gonna be fun, if rather limited. It will indulge my wide obsession, though.

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I just ordered a Sony A1. Had a film SLR years ago and have been itching to get back into it.

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
The recent announcement from Sony for the latest A9m3 is intriguing. Well out of my price range, but it will be interesting to see how quickly or even whether global shutter trickles down to non-flagship cameras.

Agreed. The global shutter looks great.

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
A nice, premium way to start.
Been researching and trying to decide what to get for almost a year. I'm thinking its got the speed for birds and wildlife and the megapixels for landscape and a good lens selection.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, it turns out there are at least three different FF 9mm f/5.6 lenses available. I put all that I could find in my wishlist, waiting for a special. I preferred the Brightin Star, and it showed up with a $50 off coupon, so it arrived today. I can't tell if the coupon is still valid, since it disappeared once I used it.

It's gonna be fun, if rather limited. It will indulge my wide obsession, though.

Hmmm... That version comes w/ an ND1000 filter to use at the rear side?

One thing though is the quoted specs indicate this one's body might be slightly narrower and lighter weight. Wonder why that is.

I guess you prefer this one because of another lens from them w/ which you were satisfied?

And yeah, I'm seeing the $50 coupon as well. Definitely tempting...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hmmm... That version comes w/ an ND1000 filter to use at the rear side?

One thing though is the quoted specs indicate this one's body might be slightly narrower and lighter weight. Wonder why that is.

I guess you prefer this one because of another lens from them w/ which you were satisfied?

And yeah, I'm seeing the $50 coupon as well. Definitely tempting...

_Man_
Actually, I have a lens from 7artisans that’s quite good as well. It’s the rear filter thread that swayed me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks