What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Your current GAS list? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Actually, I have a lens from 7artisans that’s quite good as well. It’s the rear filter thread that swayed me.

Are both their lenses built similarly well?

I'm wondering why this Brightin Star seems slightly smaller and lighter...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They are all very heavy, solid, fully metal construction, with no communication with the camera. Fully manual, preset aperture, etc.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Peak Design was having a Black Friday sale, so I treated myself to an early Christmas gift. I bought their travel tripod. The carbon fiber version was $419, marked down from $599. I wanted something a little more compact for when we travel to Hawaii early next year. I probably would have left my Feisol travel tripod at home, as it's a little too bulky with the separate ball head. If I really like the Peak Design, I may just leave the Feisol at our place in South Carolina instead of hauling it back and forth from Michigan.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Hmmm... maybe time for me to buy/try PD's Camera Capture then... now that I've switched to using their 30L (photo) backpack most of the time (and already have 3x dual plates that all can be used w/ it)...

They are all very heavy, solid, fully metal construction, with no communication with the camera. Fully manual, preset aperture, etc.

Did you receive yours yet? I'm probably just about ready to pull the trigger and give it a shot (as soon as I commit to reactivating my Prime service w/out trial offer this time) -- too bad B&H doesn't carry that brand... as they do actually carry a couple of the other ones...

I'm probably also gonna finally order a USB-C/USB3.2 CFexpress+XQD+UHS2-SD card reader (that's on some Prime Exclusive modest discount).

Also debating about getting either 512GB or 1TB ProGrade CFexpress card from B&H -- probably just going for 512GB at this point....

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
^Hmmm... maybe time for me to buy/try PD's Camera Capture then... now that I've switched to using their 30L (photo) backpack most of the time (and already have 3x dual plates that all can be used w/ it)...

Did you receive yours yet? I'm probably just about ready to pull the trigger and give it a shot (as soon as I commit to reactivating my Prime service w/out trial offer this time) -- too bad B&H doesn't carry that brand... as they do actually carry a couple of the other ones...

I'm probably also gonna finally order a USB-C/USB3.2 CFexpress+XQD+UHS2-SD card reader (that's on some Prime Exclusive modest discount).

Also debating about getting either 512GB or 1TB ProGrade CFexpress card from B&H -- probably just going for 512GB at this point....

_Man_
It arrived on Sunday. I've put it on the cameras and played around a little, but no actual photos yet. As promised, the barrel distortion is negligible. I understand it has some slight wavy distortion. It does have noticeable, but not excessive spherical distortion. I expect that can be corrected in PS, if someone bothers to create a profile for it. It's crazy wide. Definitely something you have to consciously compose for, or you simply end up with a really wide photo.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^No doubt it's crazy wide -- I probably really only need something like (slightly looser than) DX crop of 9mm myself... but then, that'd only leave me w/ like ~10MP from my Z6, heh. :P

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
^No doubt it's crazy wide -- I probably really only need something like (slightly looser than) DX crop of 9mm myself... but then, that'd only leave me w/ like ~10MP from my Z6, heh. :P

_Man_
The Nikkor Z 14-30mm S is pretty awesome. Much more versatile... and realistic of a lens to have.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The Nikkor Z 14-30mm S is pretty awesome. Much more versatile... and realistic of a lens to have.

Don't tempt me, LOL! ;):lol:

And that's apparently $200-off right now -- and available from B&H of course (so I can use my new Payboo card :P).

Kinda wish it's actually more like 12-24mm though...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't tempt me, LOL! ;):lol:

And that's apparently $200-off right now -- and available from B&H of course (so I can use my new Payboo card :P).

Kinda wish it's actually more like 12-24mm though...

_Man_
Is there such a thing as a full frame 12-24?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is there such a thing as a full frame 12-24?

Sony seems to have one for their mirrorless system. And Sigma has one (in their Art series) for DSLRs I think -- actually, looks like Sigma has 2: an f/4 Art series plus a cheaper, variable max aperture one.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe Sigma (or Tamron? or Tokina?) will eventually do a 12-24 f/4 for mirrorless?

I guess I can always just wait-and-see some since these kinds of sales/discounts do seem to recur often enough and I probably won't make much, if any, real use of the lens during the winter months...

_Man_

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Canon store had a big discount on refurbs, which kind of made me kick myself for not waiting a little longer to get the R6m2. But I figured the BF deals were all played out at the time I determined buying new made more sense. But looks like those refurbs are out of stock now, which makes it moot.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Peak Design was having a Black Friday sale, so I treated myself to an early Christmas gift. I bought their travel tripod. The carbon fiber version was $419, marked down from $599. I wanted something a little more compact for when we travel to Hawaii early next year. I probably would have left my Feisol travel tripod at home, as it's a little too bulky with the separate ball head. If I really like the Peak Design, I may just leave the Feisol at our place in South Carolina instead of hauling it back and forth from Michigan.

Do you shoot any panos?

IF so, you might wanna consider going for the universal head adapter plus some other small ball head w/ panning capability (while everything's on sale now).

I'm considering going for either this SmallRig one or one of these somewhat heftier (and probably more solid) K&F Concept ones that include spirit level instead -- the SmallRig probably adds practically unnoticeable weight while the others would add maybe upto ~1/2lb and still keep the tripod a slight bit lighter overall than the aluminum version.

The lack of panning capability can be pretty annoying me thinks... plus the stock ball head doesn't actually rest perfectly 90-degree/vertical when fully tilted, but goes a tad beyond, which is also a tad annoying...

Might also wanna finally get an L-bracket, which I kept putting off... especially if going w/ the SmallRig or just a very low profile, panning base head w/ QR.

_Man_

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Playing around with the full frame 9mm during football...

"Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon"

_NZ71174-ENR-1.2K.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And another one just goofing around. Do I ever leave this room? I'm not sure...

This shot does show the lack of barrel distortion, though looking at my fingers you can see it does have noticeable spherical distortion.

_NZ71160-ENR-1.2K.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Do you shoot any panos?

IF so, you might wanna consider going for the universal head adapter plus some other small ball head w/ panning capability (while everything's on sale now).

I'm considering going for either this SmallRig one or one of these somewhat heftier (and probably more solid) K&F Concept ones that include spirit level instead -- the SmallRig probably adds practically unnoticeable weight while the others would add maybe upto ~1/2lb and still keep the tripod a slight bit lighter overall than the aluminum version.

The lack of panning capability can be pretty annoying me thinks... plus the stock ball head doesn't actually rest perfectly 90-degree/vertical when fully tilted, but goes a tad beyond, which is also a tad annoying...

Might also wanna finally get an L-bracket, which I kept putting off... especially if going w/ the SmallRig or just a very low profile, panning base head w/ QR.

_Man_
I went ahead and ordered the universal head adapter while it was on sale, just in case I need it in the future. I already have a very nice PhotoClam ballhead if I need to supplement the built-in head for special purposes.

The tripod arrived today. This thing is really compact -- noticeably so compared to my Feisol, which is also designated as a travel tripod. The head looks like it should do the job for most of my needs while traveling. The tripod is small enough that I hopefully will bring it on more trips in the future where I would have left the Feisol at home.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Those inexpensive 9mm lenses were certainly tempting, especially when they dropped one even lower during the BF weekend... but I ended up just deciding to wait-and-see some more given my particular circumstance.

As mentioned earlier, hoping for something more like 12-24... probably from Sigma...

I went ahead and ordered the universal head adapter while it was on sale, just in case I need it in the future. I already have a very nice PhotoClam ballhead if I need to supplement the built-in head for special purposes.

The tripod arrived today. This thing is really compact -- noticeably so compared to my Feisol, which is also designated as a travel tripod. The head looks like it should do the job for most of my needs while traveling. The tripod is small enough that I hopefully will bring it on more trips in the future where I would have left the Feisol at home.

I ended up going w/ the K&F Concept lowish-profile 32mm (and also the PD universal adapter) on sale to try on my PD travel tripod. It might not be as good as a more solid one that costs at least $100-200 more, but I'm guessing it'll still be better than the one built into the travel tripod (other than being quite as quick to use and compact-and-light to stowaway-and-lug... though should still likely fit just fine in my PD 30L backpack's side pocket I imagine)...

I figured I won't need a head more solid than that if/when I'm using this travel tripod -- the tripod's max load capacity is only 20lb afterall (and I don't actually feel that comfy sticking my ~4.5lb Tamron 150-600 on it... at least when mostly extended, LOL, though PD seems to show people using it w/ lenses at least that hefty)... and the extra 2-3 inches of the ballhead (plus spirit level) might also be welcomed in actual use.

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Those inexpensive 9mm lenses were certainly tempting, especially when they dropped one even lower during the BF weekend... but I ended up just deciding to wait-and-see some more given my particular circumstance.

As mentioned earlier, hoping for something more like 12-24... probably from Sigma...

I ended up going w/ the K&F Concept lowish-profile 32mm (and also the PD universal adapter) on sale to try on my PD travel tripod. It might not be as good as a more solid one that costs at least $100-200 more, but I'm guessing it'll still be better than the one built into the travel tripod (other than being quite as quick to use and compact-and-light to stowaway-and-lug... though should still likely fit just fine in my PD 30L backpack's side pocket I imagine)...

I figured I won't need a head more solid than that if/when I'm using this travel tripod -- the tripod's max load capacity is only 20lb afterall (and I don't actually feel that comfy sticking my ~4.5lb Tamron 150-600 on it... at least when mostly extended, LOL, though PD seems to show people using it w/ lenses at least that hefty)... and the extra 2-3 inches of the ballhead (plus spirit level) might also be welcomed in actual use.

_Man_
That K&F Concept ballhead looked interesting -- enough so that I added it to my Amazon wish list to keep track of just in case I want something compact in the future. My PhotoClam ballhead is very nice, but is bigger. I mostly will use the tripod for landscape shots such as long exposures of moving water (waves or waterfalls) or sunrise/sunset, and the built-in head on the Peak Design should be fine for that.

The heaviest load I normally plan on putting on the tripod is a Canon R6mii + RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, which is about 3 pounds total weight. I may occasionally use it with the Canon R10 + RF 800mm f/11, which would be about 4.25 pounds total, but I don't travel with the 800mm unless we are driving -- and I tend to use a monopod instead of a tripod with the RF 800mm anyway. The RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS is the only telephoto I bring when traveling by plane, as it's a lot smaller and lighter, and I just shoot that handheld. The R10 + RF 100-400 weighs less than 2.4 pounds total.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I did also order a PD camera capture (plus their ProPad accessory for it) on sale plus (finally) a pretty fast, ProGrade Gold 512GB CFexpress card (also on seemingly frequently recurring good sale price) and a USB3.2 CFexpress/XQD/UHS2-SD reader -- I had been going w/out a reader for all 3 formats (partly because I hadn't been shooting during the pandemic until this summer)... and couldn't even update the firmware on my Z6 at all because of that, LOL. I don't often shoot video anymore, but the bigger, faster card should allow for some of that in good quality if/whenever I do... even if/when I eventually upgrade the body (w/ potential for much higher bitrates than the ~145Mbps of the Z6) me thinks -- for more dedicated/serious, longer video shooting on a video tripod rig, I'll probably still wanna use external monitoring (and mic-ing) and (bigger) more affordable storage anyway as before... though I can't imagine wanting to shoot RAW/lossless video in 8K though, which is what's apparently required for the Z8 (at least shooting internally to card anyway)... while the Z6ii/Z7ii is apparently still stuck at the low-ish ~145Mbps rate like my Z6.

BTW, I took a quick look at the Z8 while making a brief stop into B&H (before placing my orders last night), and that thing is very noticeably bulkier/heftier than the Z6/Z7 -- reminds me very much of my D800 in that way. Not sure I'd wanna add/go back to something similar to my D800 if/when the time comes to upgrade (and still lug my Z6 in combo)... although I've lugged both my Z6 and D800 on significant hikes a couple times now... Probably something in between Z6 and Z8/D800 would be my preference (in terms size) for my eventual main body... Maybe a Z7 iii w/ more of the Z8 goodies/improvements in a couple years or so?

The heaviest load I normally plan on putting on the tripod is a Canon R6mii + RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, which is about 3 pounds total weight. I may occasionally use it with the Canon R10 + RF 800mm f/11, which would be about 4.25 pounds total, but I don't travel with the 800mm unless we are driving -- and I tend to use a monopod instead of a tripod with the RF 800mm anyway. The RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS is the only telephoto I bring when traveling by plane, as it's a lot smaller and lighter, and I just shoot that handheld. The R10 + RF 100-400 weighs less than 2.4 pounds total.

I might actually just bring my Feisol monopod (w/ Manfrotto tilt head) more often going forward when I do bring my Tamron 150-600 (or maybe even my nearly 4lb Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 Sport). I've tried that more recently (and just left the lens on the monopod for extended periods... while often using it like a walking stick when no lens is on it, heh)...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks