What's new

3.1 System (1 Viewer)

jrw

Auditioning
Real Name
J
Let me begin by saying that I am a novice on a budget. Due to the dimensions/design of my room, it is not feasible to run wires for surround (rear) speakers. For this reason, I wanted to go with a 3.1 set-up. I currently have a LG soundbar connected to the TV via a optical cable (only option) and a wireless sub. What I would like to do is find a receiver that could utilize the soundbar as a center speaker and add a bookshelf speaker to each side of the TV. Is this something that is possible? If so, are there any receiver suggestions?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Not possible - soundbars are self-contained units with their own amps and switchers.

What is your budget? Are you only connecting the TV, or will you be adding a Blu-ray player or other devices?

jrw

Auditioning
Real Name
J
I will only be connecting the receiver to a television and a Fire TV. The system is for a hobby room, so the budget for a receiver is $250 or less.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Unfortunately, it's not going to be possible on your budget. You said the room dimensions are limited. Have you considered the size of the receiver? They are typically at least 17"w x 13"d x 6"h.

If you are cramped for space, you may just want to save up your money and get a better soundbar.

Christopher Mckinley

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
Let me begin by saying that I am a novice on a budget. Due to the dimensions/design of my room, it is not feasible to run wires for surround (rear) speakers. For this reason, I wanted to go with a 3.1 set-up. I currently have a LG soundbar connected to the TV via a optical cable (only option) and a wireless sub. What I would like to do is find a receiver that could utilize the soundbar as a center speaker and add a bookshelf speaker to each side of the TV. Is this something that is possible? If so, are there any receiver suggestions?
There are plenty of reasonably costing receivers out there for you..I'm a big fan of onkyo,the quality is very high,and the sound,well amazing...Even if going to a smaller set up,it will power it plenty...I had a HT (model number after this,just can't remember), and it was in the 2-$300.00 dollar range..It pushed my def tech tower speakers beautifully..Just my two cents.. good luck with whatever brand you decide..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks