What's new

Pre-Order Dracula The Prince of Darkness (1966) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
210643_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Really like this movie, but don't understand why Shout! is releasing it at this time. Millennium Entertainment put out a great edition on Region A blu ray several years ago that was packed with bonus materials. It was the first of an aborted series of Hammer releases.

If Shout! is going to release several of the StudioCanal-owned Hammers, I really wish they would have started with some of the titles previously unreleased for Region A. Perhaps Shout's edition will feature even more extras that will make a double dip worthwhile.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Agreed it would have been nice to see them release some of the unreleased Hammer titles in the United States. I have the previous Millennium release and it's outstanding I really don't see a need or Reason to upgrade unless they really knock my socks off with the special features. But if scream is Ashley going to take on the Mantra of releasing some of these titles one I would love to see done is Lust for a Vampire or or another of the Quartermas films, or the Abominable Snowman. there's also some missing Hammer Frankenstein's that won't see the light of day unless scream does it.

Real Name
Tim
I've bought this title so many times and each time I'm disappointed in the transfer. The color has never looked right. I'm hoping that Shout! Factory gets the color right this time. I'm also sure the logic of releasing this title first is, if a Hammer Dracula with Lee doesn't sell, what Hammer titles will?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm not seeing teal there, just lots & lots of blue. Apparently fifties & sixties Dracula films are supposed to be VERY blue.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad I picked this up. Kind of neat that you can pick between the U.S, and U.K. Version. The transfers are literally night, and day difference;)
IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

Daytime transfer-U.K.
Nighttime transfer-U.S(far superior, more detail, grain, and less DNR than the U.K. Version)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The Millenium/U.K. transfer always looked off to me. I knew the color was washed out and not the lush Technicolor it should be. But something was just off in the picture and I have noticed many UK transfers of hammer films seem to have a bad habit of over cranking the brightness almost to the point of torch mode on a tv. It over saturates the color and loses details. The same thing happens in the UK/Annolis version of Horror of Dracula even though the WAC version is just a tad too dark. Just take a look at the post staking scene of Barbara Shelley for evidence. Fisher employed a halo like light effect on her face to represent he being pure again after the staking. This effect is almost completely gone in the over-bright Millenium/U.K. version. It looks beautiful and as it was intended in the Shout US version The new Shout US version is very nice. The colors still may not be perfect but they are much improved and the best home video version yet. And it is not in torch mode so the spooky atmosphere of the castle is restored.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks