What's new

Press Release WHV 100th Anniversary Sets Volumes 1-4 (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
WB could be sweeping GWTW and The Jazz Singer run the rug like Disney's done with SOTS and other films.

snow white cleaning GIF

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
As I suspected, Warner's is celebrating 100 years with a regurgitation of stuff everyone here already owns. I'm not even seeing 'new transfers' advertised for Doctor Zhivago or The Bodyguard - both of which could definitely use the upgrade. And leaving Gone With the Wind and Driving Miss Daisy off the Award Winners set is like listing the 100 greatest musicals of all time and leaving off The Sound of Music and My Fair Lady!

Instead of spending coin on getting more of their, as yet unreleased catalog onto one disc format or another, we're being fed sets of things we already own, and 4K singles of stuff that already looks pretty damn good on standard Blu.

We'll have to leave it to George Feltenstein and WAC and see what this coming 11 months nets us in terms of new to Blu content. Here's to hoping. Hope springs eternal.

As I suspected, Warner's is celebrating 100 years with a regurgitation of stuff everyone here already owns. I'm not even seeing 'new transfers' advertised for Doctor Zhivago or The Bodyguard - both of which could definitely use the upgrade. And leaving Gone With the Wind and Driving Miss Daisy off the Award Winners set is like listing the 100 greatest musicals of all time and leaving off The Sound of Music and My Fair Lady!

Instead of spending coin on getting more of their, as yet unreleased catalog onto one disc format or another, we're being fed sets of things we already own, and 4K singles of stuff that already looks pretty damn good on standard Blu.

We'll have to leave it to George Feltenstein and WAC and see what this coming 11 months nets us in terms of new to Blu content. Here's to hoping. Hope springs eternal.

Are they both in print as I haven't seen The Jazz Singer anywhere since it was originally released back in the 2000's and same goes for GWTW, since 2020 I haven't seen it in any Barnes & Nobel.

Jazz Singer, The (BD Book) [Blu-ray]​

Al Jolson (Actor), William Dermarest (Actor), Alan Crosland (Director) Rated:
NR
Format: Blu-ray
4.2 out of 5 stars 482 ratings

-43% $19.90$19.90
List Price: $34.99$34.99

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Apparently we are getting some 5film sets in 4k as well as one set of 30 titles in 4k.
Seems to be in UK in September.
Let us hope Doctor Z, Barry Lindon, Ben Hur and North by Northwest will be among them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's all about the tchotchkes.

Warner loves their Box-O-Junk sets. They've been putting them out for years. Someone must be buying them.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Can you imagine a box of new to blu Looney tunes enabling pple to complete their collections?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Are they both in print as I haven't seen The Jazz Singer anywhere since it was originally released back in the 2000's and same goes for GWTW, since 2020 I haven't seen it in any Barnes & Nobel.

Jazz Singer was released as Digibook in 2013 and then replaced by a simple case in the Warner Archive line in 2019, Other than brief periods where it's been OOS like most of the Archive disc, it;s been available most of the last decade including now,

GWTW has been in print on BD since 2008 and other than a few weeks/months where they pulled the disc to reprint it with the new labels/warnings it's not been OOP. Of course everybody freaked out that it had been pulled forever and $5 Walmart Dump bin copies were being sold for $100+ creating a buying frenzy and the usual loud howling of "We've been robbed and lied to" when it came back in stock for $10 -- of course ignoring hundreds of posts telling those same people to calm down and wait 8 weeks. B&N still carries it in store or not anymore, though since it's not a Criterion or Doctor Who that wouldn't be out of the ordinaty anyway. Just looking at the online inventory -- I'm seeing it instock at least 15-20 'local' store which is virtually every Media Carrying Bn in a 100 mile radius -- $9.99 Bargain Shelf.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ll prognosticate here.

90 days after release date, these sets will be found at Costco, selling for $47. Two for $90.

I’m at a loss to try to understand who the potential customer might be.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Meaning what?
I could be snarky and say look it up but since I'm Mr. Nice Guy :D, here you go:

A small bric-a-brac or miscellaneous item. The word has long been used by Jewish Americans and in the regional speech of New York City and elsewhere. It is borrowed from Yiddish and is ultimately Slavic in origin.

The word may also refer to free promotional items dispensed at trade shows, conventions, and similar commercial events. They can also be sold as cheap souvenirs in tourist areas, which are sometimes called "tchotchke shops".

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Who are they marketing these for? Physical media is not mainstream anymore. It is a collector's market, and we (collectors) have these titles already.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I’ll prognosticate here.

90 days after release date, these sets will be found at Costco, selling for $47. Two for $90.

I’m at a loss to try to understand who the potential customer might be.
It would have been nice if it was just one box set of 25 movies including something new or needed a new transfer.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It would have been nice if it was just one box set of 25 movies including something new or needed a new transfer.
Those (according to The Bits) are coming in Volumes 5 - 8. As noted in the Beau Geste (1939) thread, we go back to he beginning with the first Warner film, Don Juan (1926), and pick up the early history.

Jeff Heise

Grip
Real Name
Jeffry Heise
If there was a way to just get the swag separately I would do so-already have about 90% of these titles already (no, not SUPERGIRL-sheesh!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks