What's new

Press Release WHV 100th Anniversary Sets Volumes 1-4 (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
VOLUME ONE: AWARD WINNERS

7116lslE9jL._SL1500_.jpg
81Pd3ZroyyL._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

VOLUME TWO: COMEDIES, DRAMA & MUSICALS

71IXNRbHhWL._SL1500_.jpg
81m+lBXdMrL._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

VOLUME THREE: FANTASY, ACTION & ADVENTURE

714B9GvPOsL._SL1500_.jpg
81sUOpQZrRL._SL1500_.jpg

VOLUME FOUR: THRILLERS, SCI-FI AND HORROR

71dSOUw7lYL._SL1500_.jpg
81bGbBN0nnL._SL1500_.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Properly priced, these could make wonderful gift sets for those new to the ranks of cinephiles, but beyond that I’m not seeing the purpose beyond attractive re-packaging.

My fear is that if they don’t sell well, the numbers could be read as disinterest in physical media.

Point being, I’m not seeing anything special here. Most, if not all, are already available, with many in 4k.

Comparing to Columbia’s boxed sets of 4k, consumers were offered something new.

And if representing WB’s acquisitions, as numerous M-G-M productions are included, where are the AA and RKO productions? Possibly in future boxed sets?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Properly priced, these could make wonderful gift sets for those new to the ranks of cinephiles, but beyond that I’m not seeing the purpose beyond attractive re-packaging.

My fear is that if they don’t sell well, the numbers could be read as disinterest in physical media.

Point being, I’m not seeing anything special here. Most, if not all, are already available, with many in 4k.

And if representing WB’s acquisitions, as numerous M-G-M productions are included, where are the AA and RKO productions? Possibly in future boxed sets?
RAH, I hope so...these would be a great gift for those starting a collection,but? And the fact that most serious collectors don't have the shelf "real estate" for these monster display boxes, as wonderful as they are. Most of these sets are the usual suspects, with no real surprises here.
For those that desire the swag it's great, that's not my thing, but for those drooling over the visuals, it tru;y is a feast for the eyes!! I love WHV and hope for the best!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I completely agree with this.

Blu-ray is now 17 years old and collectors have already gobbled up everything Warner is offering in these sets.

Anyone missing a title or two isn't going to buy this collection for it.

Sony's approach is far better where you get a bunch of never-before-released titles in 4k. I am perfectly okay with releasing new titles as a boxed set as long as stand-alone versions will be offered at some point. Even if they aren't, you can buy them digitally.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention some weird combinations

2 parts of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy in one set, the other in a separate set?

OTOH, I'm not getting the whole Monster set complaints. These 25 disc Books take up no more space than 25 separate releases (even simple cases much less Deluxe sets) even if you put them long-ways on the shelf.
Put on my shelf like a book (spine out) it looks like less than a 12 inch width I could have 100 movies.

Again like most I already have most of these (at least 85-90 just with a quick look), many in deluxe multidisc sets with tons of extra and many in 4K
And I can hear the complaints already of the scratch promoting, fingerprint friendly slide in slots.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not to mention some weird combinations

2 parts of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy in one set, the other in a separate set?
Even more puzzling when you take into account the 3 theatrical editions (which are likely what's offered here) can often be purchased in a (barebones) set for ~$10.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I would enjoy having these and there's enough that I've missed that I feel like I'd get something out of them, but I'm a bit stymied by both my financial situation and the fact that I've already got many of them on 4K, so they'd just be taking up space.
Also interesting is the absence of The Jazz Singer in the comedies/musicals box. I realize it's not quite as important to the studio's legacy as Elf, but seems like it might have warranted some consideration, no?
I'm someone who thinks Elf is the only true traditional Christmas classic of the 21st century, so I'm all for it, but doing a "drama/comedy/musical" box set means pretty much everything is on the table and it is a shame that they're not mixing it up just a little bit more with something a little more historically weighty, especially since everyone and their dog probably owns a copy of Elf.

At least it makes more sense than dedicating space to Supergirl in vol. 4, which isn't even a campy cult classic, but is just generally ignored as a poor film, like the majority of the old Superman sequels.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Also interesting is the absence of The Jazz Singer in the comedies/musicals box. I realize it's not quite as important to the studio's legacy as Elf, but seems like it might have warranted some consideration, no?
I think The Jazz Singer is a big part of the Warner Bros history and should have been included. Box sets are nice but already have the films i like on my shelf.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I think The Jazz Singer is a big part of the Warner Bros history and should have been included. Box sets are nice but already have the films i like on my shelf.
The Jazz Singer has a bit of a clouded history at the studio. Post-production execs remaining on staff from it's release are still smarting that they were forced to intercut orthochromatic with panchromatic footage, which created quite a stir and embarrassment at the time.

Overshadowing the whole talkie thing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I suppose The Color Purple won some critics' awards which would justify its inclusion in the Award Winners box, but it famously lost ALL of its Oscar nominations that year, tying it with The Turning Point for the most Oscar losses without a win.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I hope I am wrong and I hate saying something like this in a forum filled with cinephiles...

This entire 100-year WB promotion from the trailer they put out to the end products seems to indicate they are catering to a new generation of film-goers who only care about the past 50 years of movies.

...and perhaps this is true.

Outside of the archive library, the studio isn't hawking its products to the older demographic who has a fond appreciation of classic films. In the age of Marvel Studios where young people are watching movies on their phones, I somehow feel that the films we love are furthest from their minds.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
As I suspected, Warner's is celebrating 100 years with a regurgitation of stuff everyone here already owns. I'm not even seeing 'new transfers' advertised for Doctor Zhivago or The Bodyguard - both of which could definitely use the upgrade. And leaving Gone With the Wind and Driving Miss Daisy off the Award Winners set is like listing the 100 greatest musicals of all time and leaving off The Sound of Music and My Fair Lady!

Instead of spending coin on getting more of their, as yet unreleased catalog onto one disc format or another, we're being fed sets of things we already own, and 4K singles of stuff that already looks pretty damn good on standard Blu.

We'll have to leave it to George Feltenstein and WAC and see what this coming 11 months nets us in terms of new to Blu content. Here's to hoping. Hope springs eternal.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Jazz Singer has a bit of a clouded history at the studio. Post-production execs remaining on staff from it's release are still smarting that they were forced to intercut orthochromatic with panchromatic footage, which created quite a stir and embarrassment at the time.

Overshadowing the whole talkie thing.
Punderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks