What's new

4K Upgrades (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Hello All,

Finally made the 4K display purchase. So was looking for some advice on a Ultra BD Player and a HDR capable receiver (I currently have a Yamaha that apparently does have 4K pass-through, but wouldn't be HDR capable and since I have had it for several years probably not software updatable).

Costco seems to have a pretty good temp price (which won't last long) on the Samsung UBD--KM85C for $199. That seems like a steal, but I do preferably prefer to have a SACD capable player, which I guess limits me to Sony or Oppo. I suppose it's not total essential though since I have a PS3 and PS4 which are SACD capable, but I like to future proof as much as I can.

For the receiver I was looking at the Onkyo TX-NR656 for about $400. I like the Onkyos because they have a ridiculous amount of HDMI inputs and a dedicated Phono input. It seems to have DTS:X and Atmos capability. Also, support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision (via an upcoming firmware update).

Can anyone confirm or make recommendations?

Thanks,
Will

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I give you my 2 cents worth... :)

I have heard good things about the Sony x800, it also supports apps for what that is worth. Given your price point for the receiver I would guess your best option. The Oppo 203 is a great player for me it has been flawless. It is really fast since it is completely focused on playing discs. Don't know what TV you got but the Oppo supports Dolby Vision as of yesterday. Rumors that the Sony may have an update at some point but I haven't seen the official announcement.

Receiver, I'm not sure I have much advice for you. Since you are buying a new one you probably can get a Dolby Vision update at some point for most of the models. I have a Marantz and I have been very impressed how much better it is then the Pioneer Elites. It sounds like the Onkyo reputation is a little better after the HDMI board failures they used to have so it could be a good choice.

Anyway there you go.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I own the Sony X800, and it's a solid player. It has become my primary disc player for all formats. The player supports SACD and DVD-Audio, as well as UHD, BD and DVD. It's biggest downside versus the Oppo is that Sony has not made any commitment for providing a firmware update for Dolby Vision, although the hardware will support the format. I went with the Sony over the Oppo (I own an Oppo DVD player) because the Sony was half the cost of the Oppo.

As for receivers, since you mentioned SACD, make sure that whichever AVR you select supports DSD on the HDMI inputs. Not all the lower end models provide this support. I recently upgraded my receiver, and went with the Denon X3300. I picked that particular model partly because it was the lowest model from Denon which provided DSD support. I think Yamaha's lower end models had the same issue, but I do not remember exactly. I did not check into Onkyo much.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So the onkyo TX-NR656 seems to be having a clearance sale at Best Buy for $319. Seems like a good price for an HDR with DTS X and Atmos. Also supposedly will be upgraded to Dolby Vision. Only question I have is out of the multitude of HDMI inputs, it seems that only 3 are HDPC 2.2 capable? So what does this mean in practical terms. I want to hook up a UHD player, maybe a PS4 Pro and and maybe a UHD Roku or something. Does this mean that there are only 3 inputs that are HDR capable?

Also I did check, the Onkyo had DSD capability. I thought that would be ok because the Yamaha I have had for a few years is capable. I'm actually listening to some multichannel SACDs right now.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so I looked around some more at some receivers. I think I’ve narrowed it down based on price and desired features. If anyone can make recommendations, it would certainly be helpful

Denon AVR-5920W

Looks like I can get it from Best Buy for 463.00

Advantages: Lots of HDCP 2.2 HDMI inputs
Dolby Vision Capable

I forget if it upscales to 4K though

Yamaha V681 BL
Best Buy for 479
Newegg for 399 (until Monday, thinking that is a real good deal for this)

Advantages: Dolby Vision capable
Currently have an older Yamaha
Has Phono input
Believe it 4K upscales

Disadvantages: Not as many HDMI Inputs (and it seems only 3 are HDPC 2.2)

Onkyo TX NR-656
396 at amazon

Advantages: Lots of HDMI inputs
Dolby Vision capable
Has phono input
Believe it 4K upscales

Disadvantages: Only 3 HDMI inputs appear to be HDPC 2.2 capable

Any clear winner here?

Thanks!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just a word of advice Will - You don't want the receiver to do your upscaling, so IMO it shouldn't be a factor in making your decision. The scaler in your display or 4K UHD player will be superior. Image fidelity is best served by passing video through the receiver unmolested and using it only as a HDMI switcher.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Just a word of advice Will - You don't want the receiver to do your upscaling, so IMO it shouldn't be a factor in making your decision. The scaler in your display or 4K UHD player will be superior. Image fidelity is best served by passing video through the receiver unmolested and using it only as a HDMI switcher.

Gotcha, but I assume you can turn that off in the settings?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree. Just for the heck of it, I tried the 4K upscaling capability of my Denon X3300. It did a poorer job with 1080p and 480p material than my Vizio 4K display and Sony X800 UHD player. The Vizio and Sony were pretty much equal to each other with 1080p material, but the Sony is better with 480p.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Hello All,

Finally made the 4K display purchase. So was looking for some advice on a Ultra BD Player and a HDR capable receiver (I currently have a Yamaha that apparently does have 4K pass-through, but wouldn't be HDR capable and since I have had it for several years probably not software updatable).

Costco seems to have a pretty good temp price (which won't last long) on the Samsung UBD--KM85C for $199. That seems like a steal, but I do preferably prefer to have a SACD capable player, which I guess limits me to Sony or Oppo. I suppose it's not total essential though since I have a PS3 and PS4 which are SACD capable, but I like to future proof as much as I can.

For the receiver I was looking at the Onkyo TX-NR656 for about $400. I like the Onkyos because they have a ridiculous amount of HDMI inputs and a dedicated Phono input. It seems to have DTS:X and Atmos capability. Also, support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision (via an upcoming firmware update).

Can anyone confirm or make recommendations?

Thanks,
Will

One word:

OPPO

Raul

Reactions: PMF

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree. Just for the heck of it, I tried the 4K upscaling capability of my Denon X3300. It did a poorer job with 1080p and 480p material than my Vizio 4K display and Sony X800 UHD player. The Vizio and Sony were pretty much equal to each other with 1080p material, but the Sony is better with 480p.

Yeah, the Sony is almost as good as the Oppo UDP-203 in that regard, and that's saying a lot.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the UHD player, right? They don't make receivers, do they (and if they did, probably too pricey for me at the moment.
Yes, Oppo makes players and based on your posted price range their 4K/UHD players costs more than any of those receivers you listed in Post #7.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know of the Denon AVR-S920W is Dolby Vision capable. I thought I read it was but I'm now looking again and having a very had time validating.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Does anyone know of the Denon AVR-S920W is Dolby Vision capable. I thought I read it was but I'm now looking again and having a very had time validating.

All the 2016 Denon models, including this one, will be receiving a firmware upgrade to support passing Dolby Vision. I do not think the firmware has been released yet for any of the models, though. For my X3300, it's supposed to be out in either late 2017 or early 2018. The schedule is probably similar for all the Denon models.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It is even ready for Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma; via future firmware update)

https://usa.denon.com/us/news/news/177

Not sure if it is out yet.

That's the AVR-S930H which looks to be the 2017 model. I'm trying to confirm for the AVR-S930W which seems to be the 2016 model. That's the one I'm having trouble getting confirmation on

All the 2016 Denon models, including this one, will be receiving a firmware upgrade to support passing Dolby Vision. I do not think the firmware has been released yet for any of the models, though. For my X3300, it's supposed to be out in either late 2017 or early 2018. The schedule is probably similar for all the Denon models.

Not that I don't believe you, but can you point me to somewhere from Denon that confirms the S930W is Dolby Vision upgradable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks