What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About... The Alligator People (1959) (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Fox's recent DVD of Roy Del Ruth's science fiction picture The Alligator People is another beautifully rendered release.

One of my personal all-time favorites, the film holds up perfectly to modern viewing, with Mr. Lon Chaney's performance at the very top of his game. Beverly Garland, Bruce Bennett, and the other cast members, inclusive of Mr. Dudley Dickerson in his signature role as a train porter, deliver memorable work.

The Alligator People is part of what I hope will be the first of several black & white widescreen science fiction films from the studio, with the Brian Donlevy picture Curse of the Fly being at the top of my list of most-wanted titles.

This is a beautifully-rendered transfer of a black & white/CinemaScope production. The various elements used for the transfer mesh together well and it is plainly obvious that the studio takes some measure of pride in delivering to you this monster picture in a superior form, inclusive of natural film grain and blemishes. The faux-stereo sound track is nothing special but the original mono is satisfactory.

For those who might be mis-led by what may appear to be an "old black and white film..."

Make no mistake.

The Alligator People is not exactly one of the greatest films of its era and genre, but it stands the test of time against modern productions as one of the better science fiction/monster films ever produced.

Do not allow the fact that it can be purchased for slightly more than a good ice cream sundae to dissuade from its purchase.

This is one of the films which must be owned.

PJA

(Apologies to Mr. Harris for appropriating his style and even some of his words, it's all in good fun!)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I bought this thing as an afterthought. Glad you like it, Peter. Will check it out fairly soon.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you so much PJA for your enlightening review. I was really on the fence with this one. However, after reading your detailed analysis of this most important film in the Dudley Dickerson canon, I will rush out this evening and purchase this DVD for my collection.

I am SO glad that you have given this your thumbs up! We are truly fortunate to have your input on this forum.

RCF

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
In all seriousness, TAP was one of the top releases from Fox last year, although you wouldn't know it since no one really covered it. The 2.35:1 print was wonderful and a real breakthrough since this had been seen P&S for all those years.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
--Pete Fitzgerald, as the hook-armed, hate-maddened film buff--

"I'll PLAY you, ALLIGATOR PEOPLE dvd, just like I'd play any MGM Midnite Movie double-feature!!! Do ya hear me?!? I'll PLAY ya!!!

:D :D :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
very amusing thread, guys :)

i watched this a few weeks back and it was nice to see a B movie of dubious merit like this given such a fine anamorphic transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale