What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Tin Star -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There's a special look to black & white VistaVision productons, and that attribute is shown of beautifully in Arrow's new Blu-ray of the 1957 The Tin Star, a wonderful Anthony Mann western.

This is a beautifully rendered Blu-ray, with a gorgeous gray scale, and a sharp, beautifully rendered image. My only complaint, much akin to some of the Lionsgate releases is that the opening logo is Way too hot. It should be balanced to match the film.

With Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins in the leads, cinematography by Loyal Griggs, who knew his way around westerns, and a score by Elmer Bernstein, this new release should be seriously considered for inclusion in any serious film library. Screenplay by Dudley Nichols.

Image – 10

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 1.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Worth your attention - 7.5

Slipcover rating - n/a

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Tin-Star-Spe...6&sprefix=the+tin+star+blu-ray,aps,102&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I bought this on iTunes and am wondering of it's worth the cost to get the Blu. Hmmm... Damn good film, too.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You mention in your review that there are multiple tracks, inclusive of 5.1. Is there a de-coded Perspecta. I receive review discs sans packaging, so no info.
1712964409941.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What is the transfer based on? A recent 4K scan? Or an older master from the mid-2000's?
This Blu-ray is derived from a recent scan by Paramount. For years, the digital on streaming services was only in SD that was derived from the scan that produced the 2004 DVD. Around May 2022 a pristine HD digital suddenly was available on iTunes for purchase. Several HTF members bought that HD digital for 4.99. We couldn't get over the video presentation. We thought at that time, that Paramount would release it on Blu-ray if not 4K/UHD. Not to be, until this Arrow Blu-ray release. There isn't any doubt in my mind that this Blu-ray is derived from that same scan used for that iTunes HD digital. IMO, the Blu-ray's audio and video presentations are even more impressive than the HD digital. Just a beautiful Blu-ray that should have been released under the Paramount Presents moniker.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
This Blu-ray is derived from a recent scan by Paramount. For years, the digital on streaming services was only in SD that was derived from the scan that produced the 2004 DVD. Around May 2022 a pristine HD digital suddenly was available on iTunes for purchase. Several HTF members bought that HD digital for 4.99. We couldn't get over the video presentation. We thought at that time, that Paramount would release it on Blu-ray if not 4K/UHD. Not to be, until this Arrow Blu-ray release. There isn't any doubt in my mind that this Blu-ray is derived from that same scan used for that iTunes HD digital. IMO, the Blu-ray's audio and video presentations are even more impressive than the HD digital. Just a beautiful Blu-ray that should have been released under the Paramount Presents moniker.
Just received this today and a week ahead of the street date. Well done Arrow !

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Funny. I was just in Bull Moose earlier today, and picked up The Tin Star. As the cashier was totally up my haul, she said that The Tin Star wasn't supposed to be on-sale yet. I pointed out that there were several copies on the "New Releases" shelf. And presumably, they've been there since Tuesday, and I was thinking its street date was this week. So they let me buy it. And now that I'm back home, and see that its street date is supposedly next Tuesday (4/30).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks