What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Darkman -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Scream Factory has a new release of Universal's Darkman from Sam Raimi, and this time it has a 4k upgrade.

It's a restorative effort, and one might presume that Universal keeps their negatives in a swamp and runs them through meat grinders, a bit akin to the way the Out of the Blue was treated.

That restoration with an all-star team behind it, weighted in I'm told at over 62 millions dollars. But why not?

Darkman probably came in a bit under that. I'm guessing the restoration was around 2.4 - 2.8 million. Definitely under 3. But it looks it. No one would ever know the horrors that the studio put this negative through.

Bottom line, they've apparently gone back to the original three-strip nitrate, and it looks like it could have been made less than 25 years ago.

The new 4k takes on the appearance of a new 35mm print with Dolby Vision added. Audio is proscenium filling via DTS-HD MA 5.1.

Looks and sounds terrific. And it's nice to see restoration facilities getting work.

For those who may be unaware, it's also a great film.

And to top it all off, in Scream Factory style, are enough extras to put the release in Criterion territory.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Worth your attention - 7.5

Slipcover rating - 2

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Amazon.com: Darkman - Collector's Edition 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray [4K UHD] : Liam Neeson, Frances McDormand, Larry Drake, Colin Friels, Nelson Mashita, Jessie Lawrence Ferguson, Rafael H. Robledo, Danny Hicks, Theodore Raimi, Dan Bell, Nicholas Worth, Aaron Lustig, Arsenio 'Sonny' Trinidad, Sam Raimi, Robert Tapert, Chuck Pfarrer, Sam Raimi, Ivan Raimi, Daniel Goldin, Joshua Goldin: Movies & TV

Amazon.com: Darkman - Limited Edition Steelbook 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray [4K UHD] : Liam Neeson, Frances McDormand, Larry Drake, Colin Friels, Nelson Mashita, Jessie Lawrence Ferguson, Rafael H. Robledo, Danny Hicks, Theodore Raimi, Dan Bell, Nicholas Worth, Aaron Lustig, Arsenio 'Sonny' Trinidad, Sam Raimi, Robert Tapert, Chuck Pfarrer, Sam Raimi, Ivan Raimi, Daniel Goldin, Joshua Goldin: Movies & TV

Last edited by a moderator:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I keep mine in a safe deposit box. When I'm ready to retire, I'm set for life. ;)

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Slipcover rating - 2
I would give it at least a 3 or 4 for returning to the original poster art instead of that ghastly "newly commissioned" artwork that adorned Shout's previous Blu-ray release.

1707440471090.png

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I would give it at least a 3 or 4 for returning to the original poster art instead of that ghastly "newly commissioned" artwork that adorned Shout's previous Blu-ray release.

View attachment 212237
Agreed that the art is nicer, but it matches the artwork within, and is still essentially harming the environment.

My position on slipcovers and special packaging is simple. Make it beautiful, artistic and special, or don’t waste the paper and ink.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks