What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ How the West Was Won -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I miss the Cinerama Dome’s showings of this movie. Once a year I made a pilgrimage to this cathedral to watch it. Each time it was special.
IMG_1929.jpeg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I always wanted to see an actual Cinerama films in a Cinerama theater. Closest I came was an anniversary screening of Ghostbusters at the Cinerama Dome - I was out west for a short visit a decade ago and figured it was better to go there for a regular movie and at least experience the venue rather than miss it entirely.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I always wanted to see an actual Cinerama films in a Cinerama theater. Closest I came was an anniversary screening of Ghostbusters at the Cinerama Dome - I was out west for a short visit a decade ago and figured it was better to go there for a regular movie and at least experience the venue rather than miss it entirely.
A friend of mine saw Jumanji at the North Hill Cinerama in Calgary before it was demolished.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
What a great score!
It is indeed, a fantastic effort by Alfred Newman with assist from Ken Darby - extremely effective in context with the film and in Cinerama surround presentation it brings chills to be immersed in this extraordinary score. It’s one of my earliest soundtrack purchases and the wonderful double disc CD includes music not found on the earlier album. Newman was one of the very best composers and musical adapters in his storied career (winning 9 Oscars!), and this was among his most brilliantly effective scores.

Last edited:

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Which soundtrack is the best. I see many options.
I have several versions that have been released over the years, but the most complete and comprehensive is the 2 CD set from Rhino/Turner Classic Movies, R2 72458 is the disc identifier volume number. It’s out of print but I see copies available through eBay at reasonable prices. Well worth it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have several versions that have been released over the years, but the most complete and comprehensive is the 2 CD set from Rhino/Turner Classic Movies, R2 72458 is the disc identifier volume number. It’s out of print but I see copies available through eBay at reasonable prices. Well worth it.
I agree. That's the one to have if you really love this score.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I still am surprised WB hasn't re released the Smilebox version of the film. It was only available on the original digipack release of the blu ray. The only was to see the blu ray now is if TCM shows that version. The archive released the "Brothers Grim" as a 2 disc, standard and Smilebox set, so I don't understand why they can't do the same for the "West". The work is done. They just needs to manufacture the discs.

I just noticed GRUV shows the Digibook in stock. Has it been rereleased? It says 2 discs with a 1999 release date or is this an error and you will just get the one disc standard version.

1689519812170.png

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slp22
Recent bookmarks