What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Mildred Pierce -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Nathan_H

Second Unit

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Aren't they saving money by doing it in India?
Prasad Corp

"It recently restored West Side Story (1961) and My Fair Lady (1964) in 8K resolution. Prasad Corp currently has one of the largest restoration teams globally with over 400 restoration artists."
"Warner Bros alone has another 40 years of films waiting to be digitised."
Chennai’s iconic Prasad Studio restores retro film classics...

That's interesting that they seem to finally start restoring more Indian films in India. Till now very few Indian classics have been restored on a quality level that allows the term restoration instead of more or less clueless digital remastering (one horror example is "Mughal E Azam"). There was some quality work done by Western companies, such as the Apu trilogy and Scorsese funded cases. But almost all older big classics are only available in pretty horrible disc, tape or streaming versions, often filtered to death and lacking any kind of authentic look.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That's interesting that they seem to finally start restoring more Indian films in India. Till now very few Indian classics have been restored on a quality level that allows the term restoration instead of more or less clueless digital remastering (one horror example is "Mughal E Azam"). There was some quality work done by Western companies, such as the Apu trilogy and Scorsese funded cases. But almost all older big classics are only available in pretty horrible disc, tape or streaming versions, often filtered to death and lacking any kind of authentic look.
I’m unable to comment on the current quality of Prasad’s work.

I’ve not seen their 8k work on 2001 or MFL for NHK, and don’t know who may have approved the final delivered work for those projects.

While my experience with Prasad was horrific, they do have excellent representation in this country, and because of that, and the people involved here, I’d consider trying them again.

Just on a very, very short leash.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I watched the UHD last night and thought it was just 'OK'. I ended up comparing the bluray version I have and came away with the impression that the whites were more natural looking on the bluray whereas the UHD seemed gray. Could be the state of my projection setup or, more specifically my HDR dynamic tone mapping, so I ended up playing around trying to improve it but given how whites are displayed in other HDR content, I concluded that the HDR presentation of Mildred Pierce is simply dark (dull?).

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I watched the UHD last night and thought it was just 'OK'.....
I agree. With the original camera negative long gone there's only so much they can do. It's a modest improvement over the earlier blu-ray.

alstein

Agent
Real Name
Aron
I watched the UHD last night and thought it was just 'OK'. I ended up comparing the bluray version I have and came away with the impression that the whites were more natural looking on the bluray whereas the UHD seemed gray. Could be the state of my projection setup or, more specifically my HDR dynamic tone mapping, so I ended up playing around trying to improve it but given how whites are displayed in other HDR content, I concluded that the HDR presentation of Mildred Pierce is simply dark (dull?).
I agree. A modest improvement over the bluray…at best.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I did notice two things, possibly only with my copy. First the 4k disc was mounted below the Blu-ray in the Scanavo case. You must remove the Blu-ray to get to the 4k. Possibly just a personal preference, but I like the 4k on top, and in cases where discs are mounted left and right, I prefer it to always be on the right.

I was watching this earlier today, and I got caught by this disc placement nonsense. I grabbed the top disc, put it in the player, and was surprised that there were supplements on the UHD! Looked at the back of the case, saw that the extras were only on the BD, and saw that the UHD was in the lower slot in the case.

If the discs are left/right in the package, I prefer the UHD to be on the left side (maybe because I’m left handed) 😁

The biggest reason for the BD to be on the left and the UHD on the right is because in such cases (in both senses of the word) you should want the BD, not the UHD, to be hidden under the booklet.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The biggest reason for the BD to be on the left and the UHD on the right is because in such cases (in both senses of the word) you should want the BD, not the UHD, to be hidden under the booklet.
Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykayjohnson73
Recent bookmarks