What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I decided to return mine just on principle. They have an image of the Paramount Presents release with the slipcover on the product page, but the product I ordered based on that information was not the item I received. I may pick up a used copy of the regular release at some point, but for now I have the HD iTunes stream.
Indeed my copy has no slipcover. I dislike this cover art anyway, so I don’t care. BTW: As of today, this non-slipcover disc is available sold by Amazon. It lists as “a newer version” of the Paramout Presents disc

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Indeed my copy has no slipcover. I dislike this cover art anyway, so I don’t care. BTW: As of today, this non-slipcover disc is available sold by Amazon. It lists as “a newer version” of the Paramout Presents disc
I'm going to pick up a copy from Amazon at $14.99. I don't care about the "Paramount Presents" moniker as it's only a marketing scheme.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So Paramount repackages the exact same release without the fancy slipcover and this is somehow a big deal? Pretty standard practice from what I've seen.
The problem is that some online retailers are using the PP slipcover artwork to advertise the disc, but are actually shipping the repackaged release.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't think it's malicious, just incompetence on those maintaining their site.
Absolutely agree, and I didn't mean to suggest that I thought it was premeditated. This is simply, as you say, incompetence. In the end though the result is the same - the consumer orders one thing and gets something different.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oh, and by the way from the original press release found here:

About the Release

The limited-edition Paramount Presents Blu-ray Disc™ is presented in collectible packaging that includes a foldout image of the film’s theatrical re-release poster, and an interior spread with key movie moments. Newly remastered from a 4K film transfer, the ROMAN HOLIDAY Blu-ray also includes a new Filmmaker Focus with film historian Leonard Maltin, access to a Digital copy of the film, as well as previously released featurettes on Academy Award®-winner Audrey Hepburn, Edith Head’s Oscar®-winning* costumes, the blacklisting of screenwriter Dalton Trumbo, and much more.
It was a "limited edition" so it's actually pretty decent of Paramount to reissue a standard release after the limited edition sold old.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oh, and by the way from the original press release found here:

It was a "limited edition" so it's actually pretty decent of Paramount to reissue a standard release after the limited edition sold old.
I think you're missing Doug's point of contention. The LE selling out isn't the concern here. It's what Wal-Mart advertised on their site about the LE being available to order when it's actually the reissued standard version. I suspected that all along which is why I didn't order it from Wal-Mart. I rather do so from Amazon so I can take advantage of bonus points and such.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think you're missing Doug's point of contention. The LE selling out isn't the concern here. It's what Wal-Mart advertised on their site about the LE being available to order when it's actually the reissued standard version. I suspected that all along which is why I didn't order it from Wal-Mart. I rather do so from Amazon so I can take advantage of bonus points and such.

I've had Doug's issue with other things. Book-wise, it's especially annoying as sellers on Amazon Marketplace and ABE often use a "stock image" and not an image of the edition they're actually selling.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The problem is that some online retailers are using the PP slipcover artwork to advertise the disc, but are actually shipping the repackaged release.
Here's Deep Discount doing the same thing as Wal-Mart using the "Paramount Presents" moniker. However, the release date listed is 10-05-21 which is the less expensive reissued release date. The "Paramount Presents" release date was 09-15-20.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Here's Deep Discount doing the same thing as Wal-Mart using the "Paramount Presents" moniker. However, the release date listed is 10-05-21 which is the less expensive reissued release date. The "Paramount Presents" release date was 09-15-20.

My Walmart order came from Deep Discount with printed receipt and return label to Deep Discount.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
In Canada, if you want the Paramount Presents edition with the slipcover packaging you have to special order it as a more expensive import. If there’s a Canadian release, the disc will be identical to the Paramount Presents release and much cheaper but without the slipcover or any mention of the series. Some titles in the series, like “Bugsy Malone”, weren’t released here for whatever reason so the import was the only option. The slipcovers are nice but hardly a dealbreaker for me, though if I was one of those obsessive collectors who had to have every title lined up numerically on my shelf I’m sure I’d feel differently. I was kind of surprised to find I wasn’t, actually. That’s so not like me.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
In Canada, if you want the Paramount Presents edition with the slipcover packaging you have to special order it as a more expensive import. If there’s a Canadian release, the disc will be identical to the Paramount Presents release and much cheaper but without the slipcover or any mention of the series. Some titles in the series, like “Bugsy Malone”, weren’t released here for whatever reason so the import was the only option. The slipcovers are nice but hardly a dealbreaker for me, though if I was one of those obsessive collectors who had to have every title lined up numerically on my shelf I’m sure I’d feel differently. I was kind of surprised to find I wasn’t, actually. That’s so not like me.
I think it's fair to say that more PP titles weren't released in Canada than actually were. I had to import Ragtime, but well worth it.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Does anyone know if the audio sync issue reported around the time of Paramount Presents initial release was real?

If so, was the issue corrected by the time of the later plain release & new 4K release? Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks