What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ The HD to Blu-ray upgrade saga: Part 2 - Freedom Writers – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Richard Lagravenese's 2007 Freedom Writers is a wonderful film with Hilary Swank, Scott Glenn, Imelda Staunton and Patrick Dempsey about kids in an inner city school, and the teacher who works to change their world.

That sounds like so many meh films that have been around the last couple of decades - either sports, classroom ethics, mentoring, disease of the week, pick a subject - the majority are fit for the Hallmark Channel, and beloved by their viewers.

This one is different - one of a handful that are actually meaningful films. I won't get further into it, but the film is worth you time.

Re-visiting this one is a trip down memory lane. Originally released by Paramount in 2008, a year after its theatrical, I found a single format copy released in 2017.

But I'm presuming it's the same Blu-ray as it appears to have been shot on Kodak's special grainless film stock. It's not bad. It's just that it looks like a CBS Movie of the Week.

About what one would expect from a Paramount Blu-ray c. 2008. Perfectly watchable.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfarrukh
Recent bookmarks