What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was sending emails yesterday in regard to this latest 4k offering from Criterion - The Ranown Westerns - all five of them - in 4k UHD.

And several times the wonderful entity known as auto-kerrect changed the word to Renown, ie a condition of being known, talked about, fame, what have you.

And in an odd way both were correct, because among those who know cinema, the Ranown westerns certainly have Renown.

Ranown was production entity owned by Actor/Producer Randolph Scott and his associate, producer Harry Joe Brown. Both men were born in the 1890s and had worked in the industry since the silent era.

Mr. Scott in 1928. Mr. Brown in 1922. His first job of note was handling lighting on Foolish Wives - the one forthcoming from Flicker Alley.

So RANOWN - RANdolf Scott and Harry Joe brOWN - was their production entity, and they did five westerns together - The Tall T (1957), Decision at Sundown (1957), Buchanan Rides Alone (1959), Ride Lonesome (1959), and Comanche Station (1960).

All five films were directed by Budd Boetticher.

These were all considered A- or B westerns, and all ran between 73 and 80 minutes.

For his final appearance in 1962, Mr. Scott went longer (94 minutes) and bigger, in an M-G-M production which is one of my favorite westerns of all time - Ride the High Country by a filmmaker directing his second film - Sam Peckinpah.

I've not had the time to view all five films, but I did watch The Tall T in its entirety, and for a film of its age and condition (think Y fade) it's superb. I have sampled the other four.

None of these films have been grain reduced, and to that point grain haters may have issues especially with the main title sequence (dupe) of Tall T, as it literally swarms with grain. This may be partially based upon the raising of the natural (and highly faded) original Y dye layer. Y is Very grainy.

Once production photography comes into play things tend to even out. Dupes are still dupes, and have been reasonably attended to.

You'll note that the flat films are a bit grainer than the scope (the final two). I'm not certain whether there are even protection masters on these films, as Mr. Crisp, Ms Belda and Company - Cineric in NY, Roundabout and MPI in CA, colorists Danny DeVincent, Sheri Eisenberg and David Bernstein - have literally created five silk purses from five very faded and worn sows ears. All work was performed using only surviving OCNs.

Those whose eyes are adept at noting some things, may notice a touch of contrast, or a slight color shift in interior scenes, but from my perspective, and I've been viewing these films for decades, they've not looked anything akin to this since they were released.

Our friends at Criterion, who have supported this release in 4k, even those there isn't 4k resolution, should receive kudos for doing so, as these are films that even incrementally, deserve the finest technology available.

I must also make note of the fact that while Criterion loves to use the word "Restored," even where in the majority of cases the films neither have been nor need to be restored, in this case the term is mentioned, but this is a case in which the term should be shouted from the rooftops.

These films have been RESTORED!

I have been advised that fade was not overall, but rather different for each reel, as if the films had been stored in a less than stellar environment during some period in the previous century. Dupes were obviously worse.

Audio is monaural, and is derived from the original DME mags.

The films are distributed among six discs - three 4k and three 2k - with all supplements, which are superb, found on the third 2k disc.

Image – 3.75 - 4.25 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 6

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Slipcover rating - 7

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
It is wonderful that these films are coming on 4K UHD. I hope that the remaining Randolph Scott films directed by Budd Boetticher, which were distributed originally by Warner Brothers, Seven Men From Now and Westbound, follow with restorations in the same format as well.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thank you!
I wonder if there is a huge difference with the Indicator Blu-rays.
Not that I have them, just curious...
Although I wasn't able to but the boxset, I was able during the 5 for 40 (British Pounds) sales and got them then. And they all seem colorful, clean with minimal freckles (dirt, dust, misc. anomalies), No 4K but super nice copies on BD. Just letting you know. The sale made them a little under $10 a piece...

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I watched The Tall T (my favourite) again last week in anticipation of this release. What I also need to know is how much better these are than the Indicator set.
I just looked at the back of the Indicator set, which states that Ride Lonesome is a 2K scan, while the others are in HD, the implication being that all of the other masters are based on the DVDs that were released back in 2008. The info on Criterion's website states these are all 4K scans. Now, I don't know whether that makes them any better to the naked eye, but they do all appear to be new scans taken from the OCN. Certainly, the Indicator set is worth holding onto for the supplements, only a few which are duplicated on the Criterion.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have the Indicator UK set, which is excellent in its own right while using older transfers. However, the films themselves are consistently stellar. Model examples of economical storytelling. No fat, no shortcuts. If you already love westerns, these are essential. Even if you're not a westerns fan, they're essential just the same. Knowing these received the usual care from Sony, I'm eager to see how they compare to the Indicator.

Surprisingly, it seems that Criterion has brought over most of the extras from that box set, as well as Sony's own DVD collection. I think the primary omission are music/effects tracks, which isn't really one of Criterion's trademarks anyways.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I was sending emails yesterday in regard to this latest 4k offering from Criterion - The Ranown Westerns - all five of them - in 4k UHD.

And several times the wonderful entity known as auto-kerrect changed the word to Renown, ie a condition of being known, talked about, fame, what have you.

And in an odd way both were correct, because among those who know cinema, the Ranown westerns certainly have Renown.

Ranown was production entity owned by Actor/Producer Randolph Scott and his associate, producer Harry Joe Brown. Both men were born in the 1890s and had worked in the industry since the silent era.

Mr. Scott in 1928. Mr. Brown in 1922. His first job of note was handling lighting on Foolish Wives - the one forthcoming from Flicker Alley.

So RANOWN - RANdolf Scott and Harry Joe brOWN - was their production entity, and they did five westerns together - The Tall T (1957), Decision at Sundown (1957), Buchanan Rides Alone (1959), Ride Lonesome (1959), and Comanche Station (1960).

All five films were directed by Budd Boetticher.

These were all considered A- or B westerns, and all ran between 73 and 80 minutes.

For his final appearance in 1962, Mr. Scott went longer (94 minutes) and bigger, in an M-G-M production which is one of my favorite westerns of all time - Ride the High Country by a filmmaker directing his second film - Sam Peckinpah.

I've not had the time to view all five films, but I did watch The Tall T in its entirety, and for a film of its age and condition (think Y fade) it's superb. I have sampled the other four.

None of these films have been grain reduced, and to that point grain haters may have issues especially with the main title sequence (dupe) of Tall T, as it literally swarms with grain. This may be partially based upon the raising of the natural (and highly faded) original Y dye layer. Y is Very grainy.

Once production photography comes into play things tend to even out. Dupes are still dupes, and have been reasonably attended to.

You'll note that the flat films are a bit grainer than the scope (the final two). I'm not certain whether there are even protection masters on these films, as Mr. Crisp, Ms Belda and Company - Cineric in NY, Roundabout and MPI in CA, colorists Danny DeVincent, Sheri Eisenberg and David Bernstein - have literally created five silk purses from five very faded and worn sows ears. All work was performed using only surviving OCNs.

Those whose eyes are adept at noting some things, may notice a touch of contrast, or a slight color shift in interior scenes, but from my perspective, and I've been viewing these films for decades, they've not looked anything akin to this since they were released.

Our friends at Criterion, who have supported this release in 4k, even those there isn't 4k resolution, should receive kudos for doing so, as these are films that even incrementally, deserve the finest technology available.

I must also make note of the fact that while Criterion loves to use the word "Restored," even where in the majority of cases the films neither have been nor need to be restored, in this case the term is mentioned, but this is a case in which the term should be shouted from the rooftops.

These films have been RESTORED!

I have been advised that fade was not overall, but rather different for each reel, as if the films had been stored in a less than stellar environment during some period in the previous century. Dupes were obviously worse.

Audio is monaural, and is derived from the original DME mags.

The films are distributed among six discs - three 4k and three 2k - with all supplements, which are superb, found on the third 2k disc.

Image – 3.75 - 4.25 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 6

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Slipcover rating - 7

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Many thanks for this review which confirms what I was hoping for. I've pre-ordered and now look forward to receiving this set.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve been waiting for someone to mention this.

Tall T is from a story by Elmore Leonard, the writer of Fire in the Hole, which I believe was the basis of a TV series.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve been waiting for someone to mention this.

Tall T is from a story by Elmore Leonard, the writer of Fire in the Hole, which I believe was the basis of a TV series.
Right, it was from a novelette "The Captive" published in a magazine. I believe it was the first Elmore story to be made into a movie.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I just looked at the back of the Indicator set, which states that Ride Lonesome is a 2K scan, while the others are in HD, the implication being that all of the other masters are based on the DVDs that were released back in 2008. The info on Criterion's website states these are all 4K scans. Now, I don't know whether that makes them any better to the naked eye, but they do all appear to be new scans taken from the OCN. Certainly, the Indicator set is worth holding onto for the supplements, only a few which are duplicated on the Criterion.
Mark, I started re watching the Indicator box, beginning with Tall T In the vague hope those 1080p transfers from Sony would still be OK. I gave up with Tall T (my own fave also). Everything you could imagine was not right with them, especially grain and colordensity. We used to show 35mm Tech prints of these in the 60s and they were drop dead gorgeous. They only ever got shown by University Film Societies and grind houses so the first release prints remained in good shape .So my order for the New set remains.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Mark, I started re watching the Indicator box, beginning with Tall T In the vague hope those 1080p transfers from Sony would still be OK. I gave up with Tall T (my own fave also). Everything you could imagine was not right with them, especially grain and colordensity. We used to show 35mm Tech prints of these in the 60s and they were drop dead gorgeous. They only ever got shown by University Film Societies and grind houses so the first release prints remained in good shape .So my order for the New set remains.
I remember seeing an absolutely stunning 35 Tech print of the Tall T at MOMA in the early 70's. It was so gorgeous. Based on Mr. Harris' comments, I'm not sure whether the new master on the Criterion will match that, but considering the Indicator Tall T is from a DVD era master, probably taken from a slightly faded IP, and the new ones are in 4K from the OCN, I've already ordered the set without bothering to rewatch. As I recall, the best looking one on the Indicator was Ride Lonesome, which still had issues, though the resolution and color was much better.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I remember seeing an absolutely stunning 35 Tech print of the Tall T at MOMA in the early 70's. It was so gorgeous. Based on Mr. Harris' comments, I'm not sure whether the new master on the Criterion will match that, but considering the Indicator Tall T is from a DVD era master, probably taken from a slightly faded IP, and the new ones are in 4K from the OCN, I've already ordered the set without bothering to rewatch. As I recall, the best looking one on the Indicator was Ride Lonesome, which still had issues, though the resolution and color was much better.
No. The 4k will not (and cannot) match an original print.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The DVDs have been in my Netflix queue forever, so I've just moved them to the top. I'm a fan of Ride The High Country so I'm hoping these movies will be equally good. I assume the movies are repeated on the regular Blu-rays and are from the new scan?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks