What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Trap – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As Kino seems to release more silent films than any other distributor, they're to be commended for doing so, as some of these films, especially those that are virtually unknown and of interest to only silent film buffs, may never break even.

The Trap (1922), directed by Robert Thorny, who began his career in 1911 for The Vitagraph Company, is one such film.

The main selling point for The Trap is Lon Chaney, who began his career in 1912, working for Rex before moving on to Victor and Power. In 1915, he landed at Universal, initially as a make-up artist, shortly thereafter moving back before the camera as a player for several different production entities. While some of his best known work was for Universal, he also made M-G-M his home.

The Trap is an interesting Universal Gem production, but its fanbase is going to be limited. For those seeking something beyond Mr. Chaney, you do find Alan Hale, who had been working in front of the camera since 1912, as well as a young Lon Chaney, Jr. in an uncredited bit, and his first screen appearance.

When one looks at silent films, it usually comes down to finding a sole surviving element, and quality isn't the most important attribute, although it's always nice.

Kino's The Trap is a perfectly serviceable version for Blu-ray with a nice score. Resolution is fine. Go in with a proper mindset and you'll be happy.

Image – Just fine

Audio – N/A

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thanks Robert, as always, in helping to share all these cool tidbits of knowledge. Alan Hale Sr always amazed me, and this additional information makes me smile even more. Chaney was always a presence on screen and thank you for the heads up on this.

One of my favoriite films is the Adventures of Robin Hood, with Alan Hale Sr as Little John, a role that he reprized from the 1922 Douglas Fairbanks version, which is a fun one as well. And Wallace Beery as Richard the /Lion Heart is over the top.

Fairbanks and Beery must have been good friends, Fairbanks giving his Brother Noah the part of the villinous Sgt. Gonzales in The Mark of Zorro, another film in need !!
I appreciated that the Fairbanks 3 Musketeers was restored recently, and have hopes of someday seeing the silent versions, if enough elements still exist, being preserved and restored for future generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks