What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Ray Milland, probably best known for playing Grace Kelly's husband in Dial "M," began working in film in the late 1920s.  Early on, he took billing as Raymond.

He came into his own in the late '30s and early '40s, with films such as Beau Geste, I Wanted Wings, and Reap the Wild Wind.  His career continued unabated through the 1950s.

In the early '60s, he did several films for AIP, of which X, was one.

It's a Roger Corman film, and one of his best.

As a 1963 production, one would presume that color would not be problematic, and it isn't.  It's actually quite beautiful, as rendered on the Kino Lorber, via MGM Blu-ray.

Grain structure, shadow detail and resolution, are likewise, very nice.

The only negative that I was able to see, and I doubt that others will pick it up, was a bit of movement within the frame, which could have been handled with stabilization.

Overall, a very nice rendering of an important early '60s sci-fi production.

Image - 4

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
'Twas a first day purchase. A favorite in the day, and one that became all the more appreciated in adulthood for the amazingly literate, almost poetic (not to put too fine a point on it) screenplay.

Attachments

• X.jpg
    X.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
While I enjoyed his work in Dial M For Murder, it was only relatively recently that I became truly appreciative of Ray Milland when I got to finally see The Lost Weekend. I try to avoid blind-buying Blu-rays, but as a fan of sci-fi and Milland, it seems I can't go wrong with this Blu... or can I? Anybody want to warn me off buying this disc?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Koroush, it is an enjoyable and memorable film...typical of AIP and Corman's best...I remember it being quite a hit during it's initial release, and much talked about at school...Kino's blus are regularily on sale at half price on Amazon...a terrific bargain, as I got mine for $11...

I also need everything with Don Rickles in it, but that's just me...

I hope we also eventually get PANIC IN THE YEAR ZERO on blu at some point...

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Persianimmortal said:
While I enjoyed his work in Dial M For Murder, it was only relatively recently that I became truly appreciative of Ray Milland when I got to finally see The Lost Weekend. I try to avoid blind-buying Blu-rays, but as a fan of sci-fi and Milland, it seems I can't go wrong with this Blu... or can I? Anybody want to warn me off buying this disc?
Here is my review where I go into a little bit more about the plot:

http://www.bigscreenclassics.com/2015/05/blu-ray-review-x-man-with-x-ray-eyes.html

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Persianimmortal said:
I think it's as lively, imaginative, and thought-provoking as Roger Corman ever got on a Roger Corman budget. See it once, and you will remember it for the rest of your life.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I totally missed this release info!

It's definitely a memorable film and has a very memorable scene. One I won't spoil.

Interestingly, I used to think that because this is a Corman film, it was a B film and as such, it was a film that Ray Milland only did because his career might have been in a decline. But I am surprised that it's a highly regarded film. I never really thought of it as low end film making because of the story, but as a Corman film, it gave me that taint. I must be underrating Corman.

I'll be picking this disc up!

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
As a Corman-related aside, I highly recommend the documentary Corman's World to anyone who's not seen it. A wonderful and hilarious tribute to Corman and overview of his career, featuring interviews with many of the actors and directors who got their start with him...many having long since gone on to win Academy Awards.

I also recommend the film Corman was most proud of...The Intruder. Starring a young William Shatner as a white supremacist agitator, this taut 1959 morality play was scripted by Charles Beaumont, of Twilight Zone renown, based on his own 1958 novel. If ever there was an argument that Corman was more than just a schlockmeister, The Intruder is it. Due to the controversial subject matter, it's also the only Corman film to lose money.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
davidmatychuk said:
I think it's as lively, imaginative, and thought-provoking as Roger Corman ever got on a Roger Corman budget. See it once, and you will remember it for the rest of your life.

You know David, of all the cult 60s remakes we've seen in recent years, this is the one tale that I thought could have most benefitted from advances in effects technology, both digital and practical.

Back in '63 Corman and Co. certainly got the core ideas across, but during my last viewing of X on DVD I was nagged throughout by all the optical shortcuts they took...substituting diffused prismatic refractions for Xavier's increasingly disoriented, madness-inducing POV. It reminded me how Carpenter's bizzare-o version of The Thing bested Hawks' more conventionally imagined and staged original...or how Cronenberg's The Fly remake followed that concept to its logical (and ultimately more terrifying and tragic) conclusion. Both were a reminder that sometimes remakes do work, given the right mix of story and talent.

Actually, the more I think of it, 'Mr. Body Horror' himself would make a great choice for an X, the Man with the X-Ray Eyes 'unplugged' remake. Not that the likes of David Cronenberg would touch something so genre now, but I'd certainly pay to see what he'd do with such a disturbing 'mutated identity' horror concept.

Guess I'll have to imagine that flick in some alternate universe... :blink:

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I saw this one birthday weekend 1997 in Oakland, CA at the Parkview Theatre and liked it right away. When I learned of its release on Blu-ray Disc earlier this year...I jumped at the chance to bring it on home. I finally did last month--and was the first movie I saw once the clock struck midnight as my birthday begun!!!!

This is a fine movie, indeed, I have come to appreciate more 18 years later!!! :cool:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
davidmatychuk said:
I think it's as lively, imaginative, and thought-provoking as Roger Corman ever got on a Roger Corman budget.
Have you seen THE INTRUDER?

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Oblivion138 said:
As a Corman-related aside, I highly recommend the documentary Corman's World to anyone who's not seen it. A wonderful and hilarious tribute to Corman and overview of his career, featuring interviews with many of the actors and directors who got their start with him...many having long since gone on to win Academy Awards.

I also recommend the film Corman was most proud of...The Intruder. Starring a young William Shatner as a white supremacist agitator, this taut 1959 morality play was scripted by Charles Beaumont, of Twilight Zone renown, based on his own 1958 novel. If ever there was an argument that Corman was more than just a schlockmeister, The Intruder is it. Due to the controversial subject matter, it's also the only Corman film to lose money.

It's actually 1962. THE INTRUDER was released May 14, 1962, a few months before TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. If I had to pick the superior treatment of racism in the south that year, I'd go with Corman's film.

BTW, the X THE MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES DVD had a Corman commentary. Is it on the Blu-ray?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Love Roger Corman movies. Any love here for Creature from the Haunted Sea? One of funniest, zany-ests, movies I've ever seen. Extremely tongue in cheek, you'd almost expect the actors to wink at the camera. All the PD copies I've seen are such poor quality, really needs to be remastered, if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks