What's new
World Wide Stereo

Are my speakers too old? (1 Viewer)

Ken Sloane

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Back in 2007/2008 I purchased James Loudspeakers for my home theater. I have since moved and stored them. They haven't seen the light of day since 2014. I have the following:

1 - EMB 1200 sub
3 - 805 SDX's
4 - 62 SDX's

This may be a silly question but in my new house, I am considering building a theater in my basement and using these. Since I have been out of the theater world for a while, has speaker technology changed enough that I shoudl consider new loudspeakers?

Thank you.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris Strnad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Your biggest issue will be the hardware doing the decoding, but only if you care about audio formats outside of (the run-of-the-mill) 7.1, like Atmos.

If you're like me and are satisfied with with what you have, the issue simplifies itself down to proper speaker mounting & calibration, then just getting a signal from the player(s) to the amp...

Real Name
Jason Carney
I'm sure you'll be fine. I've got speakers that are 20 years old and they sound great. Unless the connections some how got corroded or the rubber is degraded any where then you are good.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
How were they stored? If everything was in sealed boxes in a climate controlled environment you should have no issues reusing them. Sitting exposed on a shelf in a damp basement would be another story however.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm still using the first fronts I ever bought, Pioneer CS-G403, which are approaching 30 years old and likely considered "vintage" now. They still sound great to me.

As Jim noted, I think how they were cared for matters more than age.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks