What's new

Suggestions for new Home Theater build? (1 Viewer)

EvanVanVan

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
Hi,

For several years now I've had a 7.1.4 speaker system in the living room/TV room. We're going to be build a new home soon and I'm looking to build a more dedicated home theater space. I'm waiting on pleminary blueprints to really start planning.

I recently come to realization that rather than using my exisiting LG 65" G1 (or buying a bigger TV), I might like a projector. (Although after researching it a bit, I am a little hesitant regarding the drop in picture quality, but I'm hoping the wow-factor outweighs that lol.)

Is there any other stuff I should be considering (i.e. a projector over a TV)? Any suggestions on seating? Lighting?

I read through the Building A Home Theater? Start Here thread. Wiring for 24.1.10 sounds excessive but I probably should run a few extra wires now lol. I was already planning on automated blinds, I see there are PoE options which sound great.

Based on reviews I'm considering going with this projector: Sony - VPLXW5000ES. But I'm hopeful a HDMI 2.1 option is released in the next year. I'm thinking about buying Polk floor standing speakers to replace my current bookshelf speakers in front.

Current equipment:

Fronts: (2x) Polk RTi6
Center: (1x) Polk CSi5
Surround: (2x) Polk OWM3
Surround Back: (2x) Polk OWM3
Subwoofer: Outlaw LFM-1
Receiver: AVR-X6700H 11.2 Ch

EvanVanVan

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
    • able, smart lighting to create ambiance.
    • Use blackout curtains or automated blinds to control natural light.
Lol ty for the reply, not sure how you even found this thread after all this time! Coincidentally, I just ran speaker wire in the room today.

I thought I was all set with a slightly larger than optimal 102" screen at a 10' viewing distance, but I received feedback today from a family member who was disapointed it wasn't bigger! (at least based on the marker outline I drew on the plywood sheathing... ) Might try to bump it up a bit!

I'm a little nervous trying to understand how the vertical shift of projectors work and if the bottom of the screen will clear the seats/etc... The projector will be ceiling mounted somewhere around 7'6" with a throw distance of ~16'

Thank you

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Lol ty for the reply, not sure how you even found this thread after all this time! Coincidentally, I just ran speaker wire in the room today.

I thought I was all set with a slightly larger than optimal 102" screen at a 10' viewing distance, but I received feedback today from a family member who was disapointed it wasn't bigger! (at least based on the marker outline I drew on the plywood sheathing... ) Might try to bump it up a bit!

I'm a little nervous trying to understand how the vertical shift of projectors work and if the bottom of the screen will clear the seats/etc... The projector will be ceiling mounted somewhere around 7'6" with a throw distance of ~16'

Thank you

I'd suggest trying to go upto 120" (diagonal) screen, if 16x9, for ~10ft viewing distance if you can. :cool:

_Man_

bolorkay

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Hi,
I'm in the process of re-establishing my Home theater setup (7.2 Surround). I've already purchased a SONY 65IN OLED T.V. AND A SONY "ALL REGION" 4k player and now I'm at that "crucial" A/V receiver stage (which I have yet to purchase)

I'm considering a :

= Yamaha rx-A2A (100 w per channel)

and

- Marantz. Slim Line Cinema 70s (50 w per channel)

Any thoughts on these two considerations)?

Thank You,
Bob. (Happy NewYear To All.)

jbryngelson

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Bryngelson
Hello (Hope Van Van, is not short for White Van!), If you are building a dedicated room, yes projectors are great, but I am hearing a leaning towards simple. Video Wall may be a worthwhile consideration for you. Let me know what questions you may have as I have been down the rabbit hole. Few questions to help. When will your rough inspections be completed for electrical? Dedicated Room? Size? Amount and type of seating? Thanks! Jeff in Detroit

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks