What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Attention 3D Enthusiasts: Please help get MONEY FROM HOME on 3D Blu-ray from Olive Films (1 Viewer)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I'll lend my voice here. 3D Archive's work on Gog and September Storm, to name just two examples, was stunning. And the proof is in the pudding that these were done economically.

That said, the view expressed by Robert Harris -- that 3D restorations would be somehow prohibitively expensive -- seems to prevail for some reason.

The only way you're going to disabuse distributors (other than KL) of this notion is by coughing up numbers -- however you can get them (easier said than done, I admit).

How did Warners do with House of Wax and Dial M? How did Universal do with Creature and It Came from Outer Space? How did Twilight Time do with Man in the Dark, Miss Sadie Thompson and Mad Magician? More to the point I guess, how has KL been doing with all its 3D titles so far, ranging from the sublime (Gog and The Mask) to the ridiculous (A*P*E)?

The folks at KL apparently have been a godsend -- but the reality is they don't have, nor are likely to get, rights to many of the remaining classics we want in 3D (Money from Home being a perfect case in point).

For most other blu ray distributors, and 3D film rights holders, the only history likely to persuade these other folks is financial history. We might all be spinning our wheels if we can't talk to these folks more in the language they under$tand....

gazadams

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary adams
Its like the stars all aligned so this classic would never be seen again in 3d ! How disappointing would love to have seen this in 3d

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Using a 10 year old transfer, possibly not even a modern scan even is not exactly going to look fantastic on Blu-Ray = avoid. Great pity when Olive pulled the carpet from under its loyal customers feet eager to order this in 3D.

On a happier note... In our big box of special classic 3D Blu-Rays its interesting to note which films prove the most popular at least to me. Having a few film friends round to watch 3D I'm building a picture of the titles most screened during the last couple of years so thought it might be of interest to some of you.

Most screened 1 to 10
1 Creature from the Black Lagoon Winner!
2 3-D Rarities
3 House of Wax
4 The Mad Magician +Extras
5 It Came from outer space (A*P*E Proving very popular now in a short space of time)
6 GOG
7 Miss Sadie Thompson
8 Kiss Me Kate
9 September Storm
10 The Bubble

I'm guessing that by year end A*P*E will have been viewed more than any other in 2017 here.

Re possible new releases If we heard funds were needed to make one happen again I'm sure many like me would be willing to help support a good project.

Last edited:

Hillary Hess

Auditioning
Real Name
Hillary Hess
Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a while around here, but felt motivated to make my first comment on this thread.

The "Money From Home" footage shown at MoMA should be enough to convince anyone who saw it of the viability of Bob Furmanek's proposal. The 3-D Film Archive has consistently proven itself by delivering quality results for a fraction of what it has cost Warner to create their 3-D blu-rays. There is no reason to believe they couldn't have pulled this one off for the proposed budget as described. With proper scans of the materials available, and their usual clean-up, the results would have been such that I cannot imagine any complaints from those with the best home theater set-ups.

When one also considers Mr. Furmanek's longtime friendship with Jerry Lewis, who supported the project, one can also weep for the possible exclusive extras we will not have the opportunity to see, thanks to the capricious nature of one person who hold the reins at Olive.

The passion of the people from the 3-D Film Archive is unquestionable, and they've already demonstrated a commitment to provide great value to those who appreciate this rather specialized niche. The Olive Films release will likely be bare bones, attractive for Martin & Lewis completists, but that's about as far is it will go. Long before I knew Bob and the others from the Archive, I used the analogy that seeing a 3-D film flat was akin to watching a gorgeous Technicolor movie in black and white, and to reject the ability to present such a film properly is a lost opportunity. The difference could not be more clear; a MFH release prepared by the Archive would have been an event, the one from Olive will feel like an indifferent money grab.

Money From Home.jpg

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a while around here, but felt motivated to make my first comment on this thread.

The "Money From Home" footage shown at MoMA should be enough to convince anyone who saw it of the viability of Bob Furmanek's proposal. The 3-D Film Archive has consistently proven itself by delivering quality results for a fraction of what it has cost Warner to create their 3-D blu-rays. There is no reason to believe they couldn't have pulled this one off for the proposed budget as described. With proper scans of the materials available, and their usual clean-up, the results would have been such that I cannot imagine any complaints from those with the best home theater set-ups.

When one also considers Mr. Furmanek's longtime friendship with Jerry Lewis, who was behind the project, one can also weep for the possible exclusive extras we will not have the opportunity to see, thanks to the capricious nature of one person who hold the reins at Olive.

The passion of the people from the 3-D Film Archive is unquestionable, and they've already demonstrated a commitment to provide great value to those who appreciate this rather specialized niche. The Olive Films release will likely be bare bones, attractive for Martin & Lewis completists, but that's about as far is it will go. Long before I knew Bob and the others from the Archive, I used the analogy that seeing a 3-D film flat was akin to watching a gorgeous Technicolor movie in black and white, and to reject the ability to present such a film properly is a lost opportunity. The difference could not be more clear; a MFH release prepared by the Archive would have been an event, the one from Olive will feel like an indifferent money grab.

View attachment 37809
Welcome to HTF, Hillary! :)

CHEERS!! :)

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Mr. Harris, I respect you and your fine work. I cannot imagine where film preservation and restoration would be without your efforts and expertise.

I think many of us are aware of the great expense and toil involved in restoring Spartacus, My Fair Lady, Vertigo and other great landmarks of cinema. We are well aware of the great debt of gratitude we owe you and your co-laborers.
But we are also aware that many lesser but worthy films are in danger of falling through the cracks. There simply does not exist the budget to fully restore every vintage title. Even basic preservation is not always guaranteed. These facts you know as well as anyone.

Nowadays there are reasonable alternatives to big budget photochemical restoration. Digital tools are a great boon. With a high-quality scan in hand, technical wizards like Greg Kintz and David Strohmaier and others of their ilk are able to work marvels, absolute marvels. The DCPs and Blu-Rays that result may not always rival the remarkable photochemical restorations that are your great hallmark, but they will certainly save endangered films for audiences present and future to enjoy and contemplate. And in the special case of stereoscopic and Cinerama titles, they will make these films available in the format their makers intended.

I am surely stating the obvious in much of what I say. But indulge me one further statement that I hope will also be obvious: The 3-D Film Archive is fighting much the same fight as you, struggling to preserve as much as possible of our cinematic heritage. They are in a different trench on a different part of the field, employing tools different from your own. But they are soldiers toiling alongside you for victory. Root for them along with us.

Last edited:

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I saw those 3-D excerpts from Money from Home that were shown at MoMA in New York a few years back. I can tell you that the results equal the very best of the 3-D Film Archive's work so far. I hold out hope that someday this important and very entertaining Golden Age title will yet come under the technical stewardship of Bob Furmanek and Greg Kintz, who will work wonders to restore it to its full visual splendor.

The decision-maker at Olive Films may feel he has made a prudent business decision, releasing Money from Home to Blu-Ray in a 9-year-old 2-D HD transfer. But he has shown that he is really no great fan of The Movies, and that's a shame.

In case we are tempted to say the decision was strictly business, I will shout back: Soichiro Honda and Ferdinand Porsche loved cars. Colonel Sanders loved chicken and Dave Thomas loved burgers. Jack Daniel loved whiskey and Hugh Hefner loved (ahem) photography. The great leaders in the free market are those who actually savor what they sell. The decision-maker at Olive Films does not love movies and does not really care about the serious and discerning film collector who has until now supported that company's output.

I regret that so many casual collectors probably will buy Money from Home in 2-D on Blu-Ray. I forgive them. They love Martin and Lewis and good clean movie fun, and maybe they don't always watch movies with both eyes wide open. But anyone who distributes classic films on home video ought to know enough to care, and that is surely not so in this case.

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Thank you for your post Hillary. Having contacted Olive films directly the return mail from them clearly demonstrated they do not listen to its existing customers who buy the product and its a grave mistake for any business.

Very slightly off topic but I was filming HD-3D in Blackpool UK recently where Jerry Lewis filmed Funny Bones 1995 and I did pause for half an hour stood pretty much where Jerry had stood during that particular film. I was overwhelmed in fact and could not stop thinking about Olive's back tracking on this 3D release particularly as its the only film the boys made in 3D. I sincerely believe Money From Home would have been of such great importance much would have been made of it in the media another missed opportunity for Olive to restore a 3D film of two of the biggest names in show business. It is a huge disappointment to us here and a pretty off the wall action by Olive to revert back to a old flat transfer.

Fascinating Bob, as usual Paramount never cut any corners with its productions top draw material.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Did a post by Bob just get deleted? I thought he had side-by-side pictures of a scene from the movie.

whyme?

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael mcgee
Update, aren't you glad we finally won ? Next year ,hoping we will finally have the 3D, polaroid and anaglyph, of this classic Lewis and Martin comedy. I only wish that between now and then ,is that the lost 3 Channel stereo sound that was removed before the release, miraculously found and put it back as a part of it's history,even though audiences heard it in mono. Restoring the stereo imagery is better than nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks